why

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a heartless person, i feel for senseless deaths, but I'm becoming numb to the news of avi deaths and near misses. personally i stay out of the mtn. areas when the danger escalates as it is now. i just have no feeling one way or the other on people putting themselves in this kind of danger and thinking i feel sorry for them. i do, but i don't. not really sure how i feel, i don't want to hear about anymore deaths, and i sure don't want to hear about any of the people i have met on here succumbing to such a tragedy. but I'm just tired of hearing about this kind of thing. when will people get educated, read the avi bulletins and start to ride safe? till then i just really give up.:confused:

rep me if you must, just the way i feel.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 people in 2 weeks. that's just terrible. i have seen people do alot of stupid stuff out there and just shake my head and wonder why????

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say I'm feeling the same way. I'm not even shocked any more when we hear about another avy death.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree way to many people doing stupid stuff. Give it a break the snow and mountains will be there next year.

i disagree on giving it a break. The choices we make everyday affect us greatly. Even more when sledding. I have rode 20 of the last 30 days and haven't climbed a thing. So sad that people aren't getting it. Even Thursday I went to boulder and there was 4 tracks up turbo. Please be safe and watch out for each other. Spring slides can squeeze your guts out your eye sockets.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have pretty well given up for the year , got spring fever now , would like to ride once more but there's always next year

Sent from my phone

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree way to many people doing stupid stuff. Give it a break the snow and mountains will be there next year.

No need to give up. There's tons of safe places to ride in the mountains. I have no idea why people need to risk their lives to have fun. They're paying a pretty high price for it the last month.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we just got back from 4 days in blue river and what we saw on thursday out in chappell creek we knew something was going to happen. a large group were high marking at upper tiffany with a 6-10 foot cornices over head but then 3 went over the top and were riding next to the edge of the cornice.one off the guys went right over one of the overhangs and landed very hard and then had to ride over large rocks to get to the bottom. there was a small slide on the trail going up and covered half of the trail, from what we saw no education about avalanches will change these peoples attitudes.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may be right but not all the Avy Deaths this year or any other year in fact are due to stupidity!! Some are just accidents. Hope if your ever in an accident you have time to wonder if its Karma from comments like the one you just made!
Karma & Mother Nature will weed out stupidity eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a heartless person, i feel for senseless deaths, but I'm becoming numb to the news of avi deaths and near misses. personally i stay out of the mtn. areas when the danger escalates as it is now. i just have no feeling one way or the other on people putting themselves in this kind of danger and thinking i feel sorry for them. i do, but i don't. not really sure how i feel, i don't want to hear about anymore deaths, and i sure don't want to hear about any of the people i have met on here succumbing to such a tragedy. but I'm just tired of hearing about this kind of thing. when will people get educated, read the avi bulletins and start to ride safe? till then i just really give up.:confused:

rep me if you must, just the way i feel.

I hear you loudly.
I guided a group this weekend of 16 riders, 3 day ride. The first day the group was good and played well even though it was fairly socked in, this was in Sicamous, Owlshead.
On the second day we were in Revelstoke and things started to get out of hand. I took the group into a safe play area as that day visibility was also limited, but some members of the group decided to take it on them self to venture and play in an AVY prone area.
They originally told me they are just going to explore in that direction, as the guy pointed with his hand. I said ok but be careful over there as it leads to steep avy chutes. He said ok, will be back in 20min. to half hour.
1hr later they show up, all excited on the snow condition over there they proceed to tell us we should all go there. I said i need to check out this spot cause i know there are not alot of safe places in that perticular area they wanted to go. I did not like the idea of taking 16 riders in there.
After checking it out, it was exactly what i thought....an AVY trap and the slopes were heavily loaded.
I chatted with the individuals wanting to ride there and no matter what i said they insisted it was ok and safe. I told them that the group was not going there and that they were on their own.
We waited over 2hrs in all for them as they took off twice on the group into the avy zone to play while we had no idea what was happening cause we were on top, they were down below in the chutes and avy zone.
As a professional guide with proper training i had no say with these guys, they were going no matter what. BTW, there was only ONE young guy, the other two were much much older. The worst part they managed to entice a couple of other riders to join them, the entire group left behind were not to happy and worried, what if?
Talk about being uneducated and foolish...some people realy never learn till it too late.

BTW these guys think of them selfs as awsome riders, though they have some skills, they have POOR judgement as mountian riders, as a true mountian rider would of not ventured into such dangerous conditions.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes makes you wonder. the slopes look so inviting, like a black widow spider. those cornices look cool, the slopes are open great snow traction is great, everything is perfect for riding. then the oh fawk moment happens. guys see someone riding a south facing slope in the early am, lots of tracks, looks safe, until the sun starts to wake up the slope.

yes i have also done it myself, have got avi training, asked alot of questions from more experience riders. i read all the bulletins, and apply what they say to area's we ride. all we can do is let riders riding unsafe terrain know what the dangers are. they make the final decision, but to ignore the guide of the group is just blatant ludicrous. sometimes you wonder how many bodies may be laying under the snow come july, very sad way to die. and worse for the survivors and rescue.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow is like a drug. You plan on being smart and make the right choices but when it's right there, you go for the quick fix. I obviously don't do drugs but I know some people close to me that go through this cycle over and over.
I've watched the videos and read the CAC reports and blogs. Considering what's sliding out there, I have no idea why people would push their luck.
I have one more 3 day ride coming up. I plan on riding next year so I'll stick to safe play areas and talk to some locals before we head up the trail to find out what they've seen recently.
Accidents happen but I think having a discussion with the group will get us thinking about our choices.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
totally agree snow is like a drug, look at me, just cant get enough.

every fall/early season, how many of you smoked stumps and rocks, you just couldn't help yourselves and had to go boondocking. hopefully all you got was a few bruises and a broken A arm. for us early season is hiking for snowboard turns and trail building, coz I want to ride 80 days this season and do it all again next year. this season there is no highmarking big slopes, so if you come into my terrain, stay off the big slopes. the trees are funner ...

the biggest issue for me is the group dynamics ...

I don't say no very often, but when I do, there's a farkin reason !!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you loudly.
I guided a group this weekend of 16 riders, 3 day ride. The first day the group was good and played well even though it was fairly socked in, this was in Sicamous, Owlshead.
On the second day we were in Revelstoke and things started to get out of hand. I took the group into a safe play area as that day visibility was also limited, but some members of the group decided to take it on them self to venture and play in an AVY prone area.
They originally told me they are just going to explore in that direction, as the guy pointed with his hand. I said ok but be careful over there as it leads to steep avy chutes. He said ok, will be back in 20min. to half hour.
1hr later they show up, all excited on the snow condition over there they proceed to tell us we should all go there. I said i need to check out this spot cause i know there are not alot of safe places in that perticular area they wanted to go. I did not like the idea of taking 16 riders in there.
After checking it out, it was exactly what i thought....an AVY trap and the slopes were heavily loaded.
I chatted with the individuals wanting to ride there and no matter what i said they insisted it was ok and safe. I told them that the group was not going there and that they were on their own.
We waited over 2hrs in all for them as they took off twice on the group into the avy zone to play while we had no idea what was happening cause we were on top, they were down below in the chutes and avy zone.
As a professional guide with proper training i had no say with these guys, they were going no matter what. BTW, there was only ONE young guy, the other two were much much older. The worst part they managed to entice a couple of other riders to join them, the entire group left behind were not to happy and worried, what if?
Talk about being uneducated and foolish...some people realy never learn till it too late.

BTW these guys think of them selfs as awsome riders, though they have some skills, they have POOR judgement as mountian riders, as a true mountian rider would of not ventured into such dangerous conditions.

I was part of this group ride....

We stayed up top and froze our azzes off waiting for these guys to come back up

Just as we, what was left of the group decided piss on them, they started to come back up

The only riding I was really interested in doing was tree riding as conditions dictated.... So I personally wasn't going down there

sent while I should be drinking tea's

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
some people just wont listen no matter how many warnings are out there... I personally want to live to ride again, so I will stick to safe area's... I love to climb the hills as much as anyone, but I am not going to risk my life to do so....

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our group it's not how many feel comfortable in an area it's how many don't. If one guy speaks up that he doesn't think we should go or has a bad feeling about something we all turn around. No questions asked. Rather ride another day than even ruin one guys day by feeling freaked out. Even if nothing happened!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
In our group it's not how many feel comfortable in an area it's how many don't. If one guy speaks up that he doesn't think we should go or has a bad feeling about something we all turn around. No questions asked. Rather ride another day than even ruin one guys day by feeling freaked out. Even if nothing happened!

more groups need to take on this point of view.... and people that feel uncomfortable need to speak up!

Top Bottom