Why you should ALWAYS ride with your avalanche gear.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was given some grief on this forum for saying I wouldn't ride with people if they showed up without a beacon, probe and shovel...well...this is exactly why I personally choose to ride with people that have their gear. Regardless if you are just going to ride a meadow, road etc we all know temptation is sometimes too hard to resist and you find yourself in a hairy situation.

Learn from this guys mistake. Read this article. The more riders with this attitude the better off everyone on the hill is.

AVALANCHE LESSONS LEARNED: ALWAYS BE PREPARED! | joydigger.com

Last edited:

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like you said I've had people whine cause I won't ride with them if they don't have their gear but that's exactly why that guy got off very lucky to be alive i was buried in an avy a couple years ago and the 3 that were supposed to be able to find me didnt have the right gear the only reason im here today is because of my my avalung pack i can say i dont ever want to be anywhere close to that situation again pretty scary stuff

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the name of the book that came out last year written by the guy that survived being burried?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
It's kinda funny Jaymie who is 8 and Trennis who is 6 now have been wearing their beacons since the very beginning of riding with us. They actually won't leave the trailer without them on and making sure that someone has checked the signal on them for them. I am so stoked for Jaymie to be taking the AST 1 with us this winter. Jaymie started wearing a backpack this past winter and also won't leave the trailer without it now.

Jan

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's kinda funny Jaymie who is 8 and Trennis who is 6 now have been wearing their beacons since the very beginning of riding with us. They actually won't leave the trailer without them on and making sure that someone has checked the signal on them for them. I am so stoked for Jaymie to be taking the AST 1 with us this winter. Jaymie started wearing a backpack this past winter and also won't leave the trailer without it now.

Jan

Good for you Jan for instilling the proper attitude and habits in your kids regarding avalanche safety.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i really like seeing safety on the hills becoming more and more a important to every rider. Its stories like these that help us relate and understand why we need our gear.

The only gear im missing is the tek vest and inreach gps, but christmas will soon rectify that.

That said, my final piece of safety gear is a turbo...... and based on the story a turbo could save your life. lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The article focuses on "gear" but not bigger picture. Having all the right gear doesn't mean you can make bad decisions, or that the consequences of those bad decisions will be lessened. Being prepared for accidents and making bad choices are 2 different things. If the temptation is too great, then sledders should ask themselves if they are willing to risk the rest of their life for one moment in time. There will always be the few that say "I live for the moment man blah blah...." yeah...so do I...but I also live for all the moments to come.

The quote by Henry David Thoreau in my sig line sums it up perfectly IMO, which is why its there. It is one of the core principles that guide me when riding. What is it going to cost you? Is one hill on one day at one moment worth the rest of your life?

Our brain is part of our riding gear, the most important part. Its the one piece we don't need to put batteries in it, turn it on, or check to make sure its transmitting (well...some probably should...). Its the one piece of gear that you will never leave at the truck, or on your kitchen counter, or back at the hotel. Its the only piece that is truly designed to save your ass before crap hits the fan. Everything else is only there to help you find the bodies after.

Your beacon or shovel won't evaluate the risk and help you make "that" decision when staring across a questionable terrain trap or riding under a big convex wind loaded slope. They are only there as tools to help in the aftermath. Our beacons, probes, shovels etc should be our last line of defence, in case we make that poor decision, they then become the only line of defence. Our brains are the first line and should be relied upon above all else.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The article focuses on "gear" but not bigger picture. Having all the right gear doesn't mean you can make bad decisions, or that the consequences of those bad decisions will be lessened. Being prepared for accidents and making bad choices are 2 different things. If the temptation is too great, then sledders should ask themselves if they are willing to risk the rest of their life for one moment in time. There will always be the few that say "I live for the moment man blah blah...." yeah...so do I...but I also live for all the moments to come.

The quote by Henry David Thoreau in my sig line sums it up perfectly IMO, which is why its there. It is one of the core principles that guide me when riding. What is it going to cost you? Is one hill on one day at one moment worth the rest of your life?

Our brain is part of our riding gear, the most important part. Its the one piece we don't need to put batteries in it, turn it on, or check to make sure its transmitting (well...some probably should...). Its the one piece of gear that you will never leave at the truck, or on your kitchen counter, or back at the hotel. Its the only piece that is truly designed to save your ass before crap hits the fan. Everything else is only there to help you find the bodies after.

Your beacon or shovel won't evaluate the risk and help you make "that" decision when staring across a questionable terrain trap or riding under a big convex wind loaded slope. They are only there as tools to help in the aftermath. Our beacons, probes, shovels etc should be our last line of defence, in case we make that poor decision, they then become the only line of defence. Our brains are the first line and should be relied upon above all else.

I agree completely. And the intent of this post wasn't to say don't use your brain. But instead have all possible tools to help you should such a case arise. Whether it's your group or you happen to come upon an avalanche and need to help. Obviously making smarter riding choices and eliminating the need to use this gear all together is the smartest and best line of defense, but when that fails or complacency wins at least you are prepared with the proper tools to help you locate.

I also stress getting avalanche trained and practicing use with beacons regularly to not only learn how to use your gear but to know it's limitations as well. I personally like to have as many tools in my tool belt as possible in order to be prepared for the worst case scenario. Beacon, probe, shovel, snowpulse avy vest, inReach, GPS, surival gear, AST1 training, First Aid HCP and anything else I can do. Educate yourselves.

Also, if you are riding with people you don't know, it's much easier to check for a beacon, probe and shovel than a brain :p lol

Last edited:

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
You are so right Modman we see so many people spend lots of money on the shiny things for their sled but your BEST investment is your mind! When you have information you have it forever (teehee subject to upgrades)....... Please people we all want you to have many years of friends and family sledding in your future, learn what to look for while you are out there.

Top Bottom