Why so many riders without helmets still?

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode at Big Horn last weekend, cannot believe the amount of riders without helmets, side x sides with kids in the back, no helmets. We had a small wreck and thank god for the helmet that was worn. I am getting tired of seeing this continue, everyone should stop and inform each other of the dangers of not having a helmet on. A little rant about safety here, sorry. By the way, KIDS BIKE HELMETS ARE NOT MX/ATV HELMETS, GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people like the soft tops I guess my dads old school like that his cowboy hat is his helmet friggin old guys he has a brand new helmet in the trailer just never wears it

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Cause they've been riding for ever and got away with it so why start now. Probably use the excuse "I'm an experienced rider and I don't do crazy stuff so I'll be okay". That's when it bites you in the arse.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No helmet on my quad for this guy........ just don't see the risk in 4x4ing throught the skag being enough to need a helmet. On a race quad or a dirtbike or a sled it's a definite, but on my big green mud machine not so much. Been riding utility quads for 20+ years without a helmet why start now, never even came close to an incident where I would of needed it

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there any laws regulating the use and type of helmuts used on ATV's.
This style may be a little more condusive to the "breakneck speeds" attained in 2 or 3 feet of mud.....
Just sayin there are options I'm too am not a fan of the "Hot Full Face style". But this may be a compromize.

untitled.png

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No helmet on my quad for this guy........ just don't see the risk in 4x4ing throught the skag being enough to need a helmet. On a race quad or a dirtbike or a sled it's a definite, but on my big green mud machine not so much. Been riding utility quads for 20+ years without a helmet why start now, never even came close to an incident where I would of needed it

Same as you till 3 weeks ago when I flipped mine over backwards on top of me. My helmut saved my life NO doubt about it. I was at Maclean and didn't want Amy hassles so I wore it. I will never ride without it again. After my broken ribs and foot heal up that is.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya because your quad is lighter then your sled? and the skag is softer ?Sounds crazy to me .:confused:

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

this is your reasoning....lol. just like the old guy out in the field....im not wearing an h2s monitor...been doing this for years! LMAO

anyhow...heres some food for thought. Krash and a bunch of us were out muddin. no ch!t..(he can vouch) while stopping to air up a tire...a freaking huge tree falls on the trail not even 30ft from us!!!!! it CAN happen, and DOES happen
ya still gotta go down a trail to get to the mud...unless you have a chopper to drop you off at the mud holes. others use the trails...unless these trails are made just for you. you cant control others.....unless your have super mind powers and control their actions. they can be ridin like mad men and hit you....unless you have an invisible force field around you....

so why is it you dont wear a helmet again?

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to see helmet wearers are winning this arguement. To the parents of the kids not wearing one, I hope they live to be as old and wise as you are. Maybe you dont want to be a role model, but your are and you need to set the example.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You mean to tell me in your 20+ years, not even a stick has struck you or cut your head where a helmet would protect you. I think thats why you should wear one, you dont need anymore damage, your using smoker logic sir.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I been riding, racing, skiing, hiking climbing, canoeing(whitewater only, lakes are to slow) on and off for 40 years, been driving for aboutthe same....have only had about five accidents (knock on wood) most of whichwere not my fault.....yet I where the appropiate gear....to protect me from you....

Was practicing a back flip and flat landed the landingand the skies came out from under me, caught a concussion from that one....andthat was with a helmet...

Even on the farm if I’m using the quad for fencing I’llwear the helmet out to the area....started that when a 6 year old asked why hehad to wear a helmet and I didn’t....couldn’t come up with a good answer thenand still don’t have one...

Wear the gear ....it won’t kill you, but not wearing it might.....

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree! Basic safety is so important. I know many don't like the full face masks, but even advanced riders can have an accident. Major injuries are often preventable with basic equipment. One of the biggest missed is the chest protector I understand. There is balance with everything, and I'm a huge fan of personal choice. Education is the required item here I think.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode at Big Horn last weekend, cannot believe the amount of riders without helmets, side x sides with kids in the back, no helmets. We had a small wreck and thank god for the helmet that was worn. I am getting tired of seeing this continue, everyone should stop and inform each other of the dangers of not having a helmet on. A little rant about safety here, sorry. By the way, KIDS BIKE HELMETS ARE NOT MX/ATV HELMETS, GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE.

biggest problem there is no legal requirment for helmets, and i really don't think we need another law. common sense should prevail, seems things happen when ya are just taking it easy.

Top Bottom