Why is it that fewer and fewer kids are starting out on dirt bikes now adays!?

mitchmahar

Reaction score
Starting to see kids going to quads or little side by sides? what ever happened to dirt bikes!? nothing wrong with the quads but a little side seems like a little much. Thoughts?

MADMAN

Reaction score
offered my now 22 yo a quad back when he was 5 and he wanted nothing to do with one nor does my youngest who is 7 right now. They have a quad but never use it, he wants a DB period he says hahaha, I like it

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've offered to get a dirt bike for my boy who is 14. I would love him to come spend some time with me out in the mountains. But he has no interest at all he says it's boring lol. But at lest he has his Taekwondo which he absolutely loves. Next year he might have his black stripe on his belt not far from black belt.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of their dads probably can't ride a dirt bike either? My boy is turning 3 right away and he's riding a little quad really well by himself now. In the back yard, anyways. But he can just touch the pegs on the JR50 bike, so it'll be at least another year till he can hold up a bike.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there has been a big shift in the market from Dirtbikes to ATV's and SXS. That and most people that are coming into the market are starting with ATV's and SXS as well. So generally just proportionately less people on bikes. I bought an ATV as I didn't have anyone to ride with locally, have friends elsewhere that are experiencing the same thing and we are all hardcore two wheel guys.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my friends started on 3 wheelers. We had so much fun and crashed/rolled a lot.
I went to dirt bikes for a little while but most of my friends have quads now, so I sold the bikes and bought a quad. It's boring compared to a bike but it beats riding alone

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to love dirt bikes it's one of the best feelings in the world getting up high.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414707995.540999.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414708025.019126.jpg

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was that you in maclean on saturday? Me and a buddy were headed down quirk view as you were coming up? On a kx250f

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was that you in maclean on saturday? Me and a buddy were headed down quirk view as you were coming up? On a kx250f

Yeah think so we're you running low on gas?

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gettin low... had to meet up with some buddies back at the truck. Hauled ass on the way down! Such a wicked trail to get up there... you guys must of had fun going up the way we came down. Tons of huge root step downs to climb!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my youngest is a hardcore little biker (just like his pa). he started on an old 1980 ATC 70 (his brother wouldn't let him ride the Z50R), then got his hands on the '93 Z50, rode the snot out of that for 3 years until I got him an '02 XR70. rode that for 3 years until he got too tall and now has an '09 CRF 100, his first clutch bike. he wants nothing to do with any more than 2 wheels, we've drug that kid up and down mountains since he was 5 yrs old. he did the S&M Jamboree in Rocky on his 70 this summer, got him the CRF 100 for our annual Grande Cache trip this fall.

age 4

age 7

age 9

age 12

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Sure got some handsome people in that last pic!
my youngest is a hardcore little biker (just like his pa). he started on an old 1980 ATC 70 (his brother wouldn't let him ride the Z50R), then got his hands on the '93 Z50, rode the snot out of that for 3 years until I got him an '02 XR70. rode that for 3 years until he got too tall and now has an '09 CRF 100, his first clutch bike. he wants nothing to do with any more than 2 wheels, we've drug that kid up and down mountains since he was 5 yrs old. he did the S&M Jamboree in Rocky on his 70 this summer, got him the CRF 100 for our annual Grande Cache trip this fall.

age 4
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/teeroyfte/pictures2433Small.jpg

age 7
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/teeroyfte/pics093Small.jpg

age 9
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...he 09/grande cache 12/hammer2_zps3fc91516.jpg

age 12
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...he 09/grande cache 12/hammer3_zps4177b1b4.jpg

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gettin low... had to meet up with some buddies back at the truck. Hauled ass on the way down! Such a wicked trail to get up there... you guys must of had fun going up the way we came down. Tons of huge root step downs to climb!

Lol we got there and turned around and did the single track back down that rock and root wall was above our skill level lol.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
three cute kids and a creepy old guy

Sure got some handsome people in that last pic!

LOL Frig that last pic made me laugh, you look like you really need that beer.

I did both as a kid but I leaned more towards quadding. It was a cop out, you have four wheels, you steer and thats about it. Dirt bikes you constantly have to balance and give your full attention to the terrain you're riding. I don't really have much desire to quad nowadays. I have contemplated getting a dirt bike because you can hand bomb into the back of your pick up and off you go. Quicker to clean, you can go about anywhere, easier to get unstuck, less chance of breaking ****, less places to hold your beer and harder to drink it... Yea Im a stick to quadding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom