why did you start sledding?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so guys here the question of the day why did you all start sledding, and dont state the obv. "so i could get away from my wife for a bit" LOL :D

well i started sledding cause my dad always sleding and from when i was realy little my dad use to double me up with him while him and the other guys rode around. I rember the day dadlet me ride his old storm 800 after he bought his new at the time rmk 800 and i was realy little i think maybe 8 or nine? I rode it for labout a day around the local lake and then that summer he sold it, but little did i know that he bought a old 440 indy sprtfor me that he was fixxing up to give to me for x-mas, I rember that x mas eve cause i wished for a snowmobile that year and in the morning i opened this present and it was a mx polaris helmet and i didnt clue at the time and i just thought it for the dirtbike cause all i wore was a bike helmet. And in the box there was a note "the rest of your gift is in the back yard, and as we ran out there i could see a second sled sitting beside my dads, and from that day on i never missed a winter of sledding. Wish i had the pic of my first mountain ride on this computer to post, maybe ill post tomorow after school.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
heres a pic of my first sled ride up in the mountains

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 59

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
maybe if my dad sees this post he can chime in and post about his first sled experience on the old massy ferginson(sp?) my unlce droped off for him years back to make the winters go by faster
lol

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started because my dad always was sledding and i also doubled with him and my mom. I rember the day that me my dad and brother doubled or tripled on an old exciter 440. He let me ride moms 340 enticer I loved it then and still love it. my first sled was a 1978 ski-doo ellan.

crm1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got into sledding because i needed somethg to do on my off season from motocross and now its all about the sledding i dont ride motocross anymore my summers now are all about fishing and camping to pass the time till the snow falls my first sled was a 1976 olympic 300 and i had alot of fun on that old girl i rode her right into the ground then got a 1974 john deer jdx8 i thought that was so sweet i was beating all my friends with that till it siezed up then i got a 1993 arctic cat jag 440 beat the heck out of that for a couple years and decided to buy a 2000 rmk 600 and finally took my first mountain trip and found out there is no better sledding than in the mountains after that i rode a 1993 formula z 583 and that just didnt cut it for me so now im on a 2007 m1000 and i absolutely love it im a sledder for ever !!!!!

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey PR Nice story and great Pic. I got involved in snowmobiling because downhill skiing at the time was getting too expensive $50 lift tickets, $150 a night for a hotel. Well at the time was a good change now I'm considering going skiing. My first sled was a 84 Skidoo Safari 377 with oil injection. Pounded that out and next sled was a 91 Phaser II, 94 Vmax 4(was a heavy sled). Then came the 96 summit(still have) my first trip to the mountains.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I used to ride a sled a lot for work (oil patch survey, bravo250) but never looked at it as a passtime....3 years ago my truck and quad were stolen from our house in the city so I went to Osmond Auctions to buy another 1 ton....after I bought my truck they brought in this 1997 Arctic Cat Cougar...I thought well hell it's winter I can replace the quad in the spring, I have money left over, and it was only $2000...Didn't have anyone to ride with for the first couple years so it basically sat..this year the brother inlaw upgraded his, freinds have bought sleds so I brought the kitty up to speed (new track, new springs, full tune) bought the wife a 99 summit 670X and the rest is history...we will spend the remainder of this year riding around home (if it snows) and next year will start venturing off into the mountains...well maybe the foothills to start.

Bogger:beer:

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my grandpa started me sledding, i would spend a week after christmas every year out at the farm with him. he had an old snowjet then in 1980 somthing
he bought a 377 safari there was not a piece of his land after christmas break that was left untracked. those winters are what started the addiction that i have today.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Labrador it was pretty much inevitable that snowmobiling was going to part of ones life somehow........

My parents built a cabin on a remote lake and the only way to get there in the winter was on sled. It was a weekend ritual to pack everything up in the Toboggan/komatik and head to the cabin and we actually road our sleds right from our Doorstep.
I remember the first sleds..........2 early '70's ski-doo Olympics and a Arctic cat Panther 440.

So for me, It was something my parents did and passed along. I have loved it ever since.

Cheers

Glen

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was very young, my dad had an old citation. It was fun when we went to the lakes north of Edmonton. In early adult hood I really enjoyed sledding with past boyfriends and then realized it was my Winter Sport. Couldn't wait to get into the snow. When I had children it was even better. When I wanted to go on mountain rides, I would take a nanny with us so I could still nurse my babies. When I went on trails I would take them with me. Now my 13 year old daughter is sled crazy. Her dad is in the last phaze of tweaking an old Olympic for her to ride. Winter is awesome when you sled, not so much without one.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i started when all my buddies at work were riding and telling me how much fun the mountains were, so I bought a sled and i've been hooked ever since only been riding for 9 years now but it would be a cold day in hell before i give it up.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my pops always had sleds, my earliest childhood memories include trying to keep my scarf out of the carb while sitting in front of Pa....him with one knee on the seat....me hanging on to the two metal bars that ran down on either side of the intake. of course the ol' man had the cowling off that old moto-ski so he could tweak the carb on the fly. I always thought that growling, noisy little metal thing that would suck in my scarf was gonna one day suck me right in there....lol.

when I was old enough (according to Pa, that was 9...) he brought me to the local John Deere dealer, one of 4 sled dealers we had in town at the time, and bought me a one year old '77 JD 300 w/electric start. he told me to keep it under half throttle...ya right! 31 years later, I have never had a winter without a snowmobile....:d :beer: :)

my first sled....first pic that came up on a google search....
77jd300.jpg

Nytro-Ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all my dad used to hillclimb with his mod sled in the 80's,I got into sledding because one of my dads friends gave us a old citation that i rode around the yard for the whole winter, a few years ago, then last year we bought an apex and Nytro, and i'm Addicted

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moved to Whitecourt and have to live here through the winter, gotta do somethin', don't drink much and don't smoke dope at all so what else is there?:d:d

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good story pryder, i got the itch from the old man, i think we had a ski doo 440 and a acrtic cat pantera, i think. 1st trip to the mountains was in 2002-03 and was hooked ever since, can't wait to go again and again and again!:beer::beer::cool:

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grandpa had a mini bike and a 74 scorpion super stinger on the farm discovered at a real young age the snow was softer to land in than the dirt the rest is history LOL;)

Top Bottom