Why can Heli-Skiers ski our terrain?

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a freak fest if we track up their runs but okay for them to ski our very limited areas? Example is Chappel. I say tit for tat. They ride our terrain we ride theirs. Too bad they weren't still on it when I was there or might have had to accidentally run them over. This was last Friday Feb. 19.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a freak fest if we track up their runs but okay for them to ski our very limited areas? Example is Chappel. I say tit for tat. They ride our terrain we ride theirs. Too bad they weren't still on it when I was there or might have had to accidentally run them over. This was last Friday Feb. 19.

Everytime I have been in there, I only see tracks. If anyone has pictures of the heli landing on the lake or landing near sledders, please email them to my office.

I think this is a very unsafe practice as well. We cannot hear the choppers coming and as this is a designated snowmobile area we are not looking out for skiers on our runs.

Please email pics anytime you witness this.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everytime I have been in there, I only see tracks. If anyone has pictures of the heli landing on the lake or landing near sledders, please email them to my office.

I think this is a very unsafe practice as well. We cannot hear the choppers coming and as this is a designated snowmobile area we are not looking out for skiers on our runs.

no chit? I'm sure I have a bunch of pics Curtis, some french guide came skiing over to us on the east side of the lake (we called him Pepe LePew) and asked us not to go down to the lake while the chopper was picking up skiiers. I have pics of the chopper on the lake, they had a landing zone ribboned off in 2 spots on the lake surface. this was last season.....we totally shredded their runs on the north slope thru the trees....did you know they herd together when frightened? every time we came up thru the trees they were stopped in a little group....eyes big like saucers.

they said they were skiing there because avy danger was high in their usual areas.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I Was there on Saturday last weekend. And seen those tracks aswell, There was a run From The Peak on the South West Corner of the riding area, As well as the North West Corner all the way down to the lake.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Curtis I have pics from last season with the chopper landing and buzzing over our heads in Chapel when I was in with Chad and my Dad... never thought to ask but yea same thing landing on the lake and had a guide come and ask us to stay away... figured it was normal but it is a pretty unsafe practice...

Shifty

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have flagged landing areas at the lake, on the top of the NW face and on the top of the SW face which service runs they take which are meant for snowmobiles. Friggin double standard. What do you think the reaction would be if we make some tracks up Dixon Glacier at Clemina?

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have flagged landing areas at the lake, on the top of the NW face and on the top of the SW face which service runs they take which are meant for snowmobiles. Friggin double standard. What do you think the reaction would be if we make some tracks up Dixon Glacier at Clemina?

are you talking about the Stakes With orange Ribbons Tied around them?

sleddude

Reaction score

i do not have any pictures but the last time I was in this area the heli dropped all skiers off at the Trail Head back down.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have looked into this a bit further.

The land use agreement (SRMP) was before my time with VARDA, but The agreement on Chappell was that MWH would not complain over sled use in that part of their terrain, but that they would still use it as needed if they got there prior to sledders showing up. There was no agreement to NOT ski inside the snowmobile area boundary. They are doing nothing wrong, but it is a safety concern on their part I would imagine.

Hope this helps.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why am i not suprised that it is mike wiegle doing it the guy is such a knob we went up to his lodge in blue river to look for a room said vacancy on the sign but the seen the sleds and told us no vacancy so back to vale we went. He cries about it when a sled goes near his precious heli ski areas then has no regards for safety in the sled areas. somebody should have just told the guide to shove it up his @$$ and went and sidehilled the whole slope damn you wiegle :paddle::

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple years ago we had skiers coming down onto the lake at Chappell as we were climbing off it. We were there well before the skiers arrived. They do scurry to get out of the way!!!!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why am i not suprised that it is mike wiegle doing it the guy is such a knob we went up to his lodge in blue river to look for a room said vacancy on the sign but the seen the sleds and told us no vacancy so back to vale we went. He cries about it when a sled goes near his precious heli ski areas then has no regards for safety in the sled areas. somebody should have just told the guide to shove it up his @$$ and went and sidehilled the whole slope damn you wiegle :paddle::

With the little knowledge I do have of this guy, he does seem like a partial douche, HOWEVER, when rescue's are required, he voltuneers to use his heli's and his time to find victims. For that I reserve some of my judgement.

The downside to this is that he blames it on sleds for getting into areas they shouldn't be and publically announces it on video's and paper print.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody who has a conscience or soul or would do that!!!! The guy is a knob for the majority of the time but he needs to learn that all the mountains in the backcountry are not just his little private play area
With the little knowledge I do have of this guy, he does seem like a partial douche, HOWEVER, when rescue's are required, he voltuneers to use his heli's and his time to find victims. For that I reserve some of my judgement.

The downside to this is that he blames it on sleds for getting into areas they shouldn't be and publically announces it on video's and paper print.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the little knowledge I do have of this guy, he IS a douche, HOWEVER, when rescue's are required, he gets paid 20 grand or so to use his heli's and his time to find victims. For that I reserve some of my judgement.

There, fixed it for ya!!;)

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Little FYI for you guys he gets paid for his rescues not donating his time to be a good guy and just uses his rescues as ammo to try and cut us down as sledders... Sorry don't mean to bad mouth but I have met this man and he is an a$$, was nice as all get out (rode in on our sport bikes) until he found out we were sledders... we ended up elsewhere for the evening!

Remember this is a guy who was quoted saying he wanted sledding shut down in all of BC's back country !

Giv'er

Reaction score
I've been going to Summit river lodge (near clemina) for over 15 yrs and know both the old and new owners very well.

A few years ago, Mike came to the old owners and promised them the world and said that he wanted to buy their lodge (popular stay for sledders). He said that he wanted another location for his choppers and such.

They were very excited as they were ready to retire and looking for a buyer. So they took their place off the market for nearly a year as Mike had promised to buy from them and they were assured as such from Mike.

Surpise, surprise, 'ol mikey bailed on that deal.....he just wanted to screw with their heads as they were promoting the sledding business!

Pure Azz!

Apextenn

Reaction score
Ya if i am not correct i read somewhere last year when he was trying to get the media to close down areas to sledders that he charges the BC goverment somewhere around 25000 dollars when they have to go out for a resucue so for the fact that a chopper runs for around 1000 / hr he is probably making 10 to 15 thousand dollars profit from the gov everytime he has to go on a search and rescue what a tool make a profit then complain he is a real work of art.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do the local businesses put up with this guy? Why don't they get together and make his life so miserable that he leaves? If I owned a business there that depended on sledding I woudn't put up with his crap, I'd go after him hard.

Top Bottom