Who's running winter tires on their trucks and if you are, what kind?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put my Blizzacks back on this morning....I only have 10,000km or so on them from last winter, but they seem like a great tire.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goodyear silent armors on my dirtymax. I run them year round. 40k on them so far and should get another 20k. I have had Nokia's on my wife's vehicles in the past...great tires!

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to winter tires on my F450, but put Toyo Open County 10 ply's on mine.

Nick568

Reaction score
Running Hercule Avalanche X-Treme 275/70R17's on my Titan...can't wait to get rid of them. They're the worst studded tire I've ran yet. TO BE FAIR, the truck came with them and I have no idea how old they are. But being 6-ply doesn't help either.
I had Firestone Winterforce studded tires on my 01 Ram which were bought new. Also was not impressed. Not awful, but down there on the bottom of my list.

Have had Nokian Hak studded and Hancook iPikes studded on other vehicles. The Hancooks and Nokians were by far my favorites.

Looking towards a set of General Altimax Arctic (studded) for my next set on the truck. Only tire I've found in the size I need. Similar tread pattern to the Hancook iPike's, so I hope they'll be good.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running "OPEN COUNTRY WLT1" on a set of XD alum rims tires are great little noise good traction but two years in a row I've had wheel studs break just on the front. I torq them to 135 3 x this last year and went to change back to summers 3 studs broke. The nuts are coming apart too. I had the inside of a nut piano wire on two other nuts too. I'm kinda at a loss. Gunna try and get better nuts! Anyone have this happen? First year was pass side second was drivers. I rotate every time I put them on so backs come to front.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What DRD said...I had Cooper M+S studded before and the Winterforce (studded) are a FAR better winter tire. No good for you "real truck" guys, but OK for 1/2 tons with the "P" tires. Now...to get them on this weekend....

I run P265-70-17 Winterforce on the wifes pickup, they are incredible for that application, excellent traction, 6th year I have ran that tire design on her vehicle, 2nd winter on the pickup.

For my work truck I am pretty oldschool, I have a snow plow on my pickup so I run 235/85/16 Uniroyal HD/T 10 plies studded. I never liked Uniroyal tires, but these particular ones work really well for me. 18/32 of tread and some big ass studs, handles the snowplow great.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What DRD said...I had Cooper M+S studded before and the Winterforce (studded) are a FAR better winter tire. No good for you "real truck" guys, but OK for 1/2 tons with the "P" tires. Now...to get them on this weekend....

By the way, Firestone has brought out the Winterforce in a 10 ply version for pickups, slightly different tread, but very similar and deeper. Not sure they would work well with my plow, but I would not hesitate to try them on a 3/4 ton pickup.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studded Arctic Claws, load range E on a 2500 Dodge hemi. I like them, they work well for me.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hankook w409 I pikes for cars. And rw11 for trucks.

Sold them for years and had feedback saying best winter tire buy far compard to Mich x ice and any blizzak.

sent from my htc

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm gonna get winter tires this year,not 100% sure which ones yet.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i*pike RW 11- 20" for me, and Nokian Hakk 5 for the wife and daughter (i don't trust their driving :D) - all studded.
Hitting the ditch/curb costs more than the tires these days.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duratracs on my dually, way better than the Nokian Vativas that came off. Blizzaks on the upper management's car and Michelin X-Ice on my car.

jazzman

Reaction score
I am running the toyo WL-2's on my 2010 dodge 3500 single wheel not studded. Good side walls for hauling the sleds and trailers. Trying out the Nokian Hakk 5's on the wifes escape.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me three! Awesome tire. I have the studded Hak 5 on my Silverado....I would never go to a non studded again.

me 4 but I didn't stud them and love them... have them on an 02 2500 diesel... on my 09 chevy sub (wrk paid for) they gave me brigestone blizzacs... both are great winter tires.. blizzack wear out quicker... lucky 25k... the Hak's are a directional tire so help when the roads get wet with hydro planing and i find if your unlucky enough to get caught with either said tire for spring break up on those slick clay roads the hacks are better... trust me there!!! I know stupid to say for a winter tire but hey... i've been there more then once... just saying

I have to say also tried the duratrac... great in deep snow and spring break up... but not half the winter tire the Hac's or the blizzac are... when the roads are compact ice you want a true winter tire..IMO

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got mine sitting in the shop waiting to put them on. Can't remember what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran Nokian hakk SUV 5 studded on my dakota r/t....AMAZING tire, never got it stuck, and a few times I wondered. Drove through a snow storm from Lethbridge to Red Deer, watching people sliding into the ditch constantly....no problems for me (with MAYBE 100lbs in the back).

Big fan of MOST Nokian tires....Not so much the vatiivas for the trucks nor the WRG2 for the cars.

Have the WRG2 on the car....not terrible, but not great!

Top Bottom