Who's had back surgery?

CatCory

Reaction score
So I was wondering about back surgery. I have compressed disc'c and they want to trim the excess off. I've heard some horror stories help me make a desicion by sharin and good or bad things:confused:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so i was wondering about back surgery. I have compressed disc'c and they want to trim the excess off. I've heard some horror stories help me make a desicion by sharin and good or bad things:confused:

we were in a bad car accident back in '88 or so, and i ruptured my t10, t11 vertebrae(disc)..... I had cat scans, and tests and even flew to spokane for another scan and second opinion. Docs all said i can live with the pain(and i have) for the rest of your life, or they could operate and get the pain gone, but i had a 50/50 chance of walking again. Wore a brace and did the exercises they suggested and it's not bad today. It's always there, but i have lived with it. The vertebrae naturally fuse together over a period of time when damaged, so the docs recomended just continue what i'm dooin' and live life! It was an okay insurance settlement;)...
Just my 2 cents, and i can go on and on, but that's the short version.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just a microdiscektomy(sp?) last march and I'm still dealing with bad pain. For about a day after the surgery it was like I never ever had back pain before then bam, it all came back if not worse. I've been seeing a panel of doctors at the pain clinic in the HYS center for three months now and it is getting better but they say I may never have full relief of the pain, its all a matter of managing it now.

Beaver

Reaction score
I had 2 back surgery's in the span of 4 months,the first one did not work.I had the bottom 4 done and it is great now.I laid in bed for a year cause I couldnt walk,so I had no choice.I have no residual effects so it was sure good for me.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Total Bummer Guys... I feel for ya. I had an L5-S1 discectomy 23 years ago when I was 23 years old. Disc was blown from playing football and pretty much just overall body abuse. For 22 years it was awesome. Recently it's starting to catch up with me. The new micro-surgery to remove ruptured disc matter is supposed to be fantastic. I know 3 guys that have had it done and the results were excellent. Everybody's injury is different though and may or may not respond well to surgery depending on the location of the bulge. Key is, once you've had back surgery you can't over do it. Bought a Powder Jack this year! :d

CatCory

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys for all the info. It really seems that everybody's back responds differently. I think I might try living a little longer with the pain its not keeping me from sledding so.....

albertasummitx

Reaction score
i had a lamenectomy-discetomy approx 10 years ago,my expirience is positive.i didnt have much of a choice ,hd mechanic and couldnt feel my right leg lol.6 plus months of recovery and now i preach to my apprentices about asking for help to lift,like they listen lol-like i did. but i definatly had to have it,minimal pain to this day and when i am in pain the best thing i do is visit the accupunturist. didnt like the idea of needles in my spine but now i highly recomend it . :beer:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a lamenectomy-discetomy approx 10 years ago,my expirience is positive.i didnt have much of a choice ,hd mechanic and couldnt feel my right leg lol.6 plus months of recovery and now i preach to my apprentices about asking for help to lift,like they listen lol-like i did. but i definatly had to have it,minimal pain to this day and when i am in pain the best thing i do is visit the accupunturist. didnt like the idea of needles in my spine but now i highly recomend it . :beer:

I've had acupuncture done with some positive results too. The needles weren't inserted into my spine though, I'm no Dr. but I highly doubt that the needle is actually entering your spine....I hope not anyway:eek:

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check into spinal decompression. I saw Randy Greg about it 3 yrs ago but they wanted me in Edmonton for a week straight and laid up in a Hotel.

Now there is a new clinic in Sherwood Pk now and it is apparently a drop in proceedure, once a week @ $100 per. Back when I looked into it they were touting an 85%success rate. I know if I get the opp in the spring, they are going to get the chance to string me up, been suffering too long not to try it.

rounder

Reaction score
i screwed my neck about 16 years ago. c5 and c6. had mri done and two docs told me to either live with the pain or have the surgery. about 50/50 success rate. seeing as i was 18 or 19 at the time i figured there was no way some guy with a knife was playin around with my spine. mild pain daily is a way of life. but it reminds me to respect my body. its funny tho...i can crash on my dirt bike or wrestle with the boys when were lit up. but if i sneeze the wrong way holy@##$%$%@@ it goes out!!! usually about every 2 years like clockwork. still wouldnt do the surgery:beer:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a discectomy on L-5 done in 88 and L-4 in 95. Been good ever since. I do think back operations are different for each person though.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a new surgery that they are starting to do where they replace the disk with 2 stailessl plates and a teflon , they go through the front , recovery time is half of regular back surgery .

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran into side of car at 60 mpg with my New 74 Honda CB750 .. broke top 2 vertabrae, was im Miserableacordian Hospital in Edm for 3 months on a rotating bed, Docs said never walk again, My father took me out of the bed every day and dragged me up and down the hall ways till my legs started working, and have broke legs,arms, ribs, and top vertabrae again 5 yrs ago when car went thru stop sign. Doc said wear a neck brace and it will be fine, he signed off my insurance claim too after 1 month, said headaches and crtoch pain will go away, NEVER did, now i dont know when I have to piss, just go a lot to make sure.
It all DEPENDS on how good your Doctor is guys, I had 2 lousy ones, 56 and still ride Quads, sleds and carry SBC shortblocks around,,,not stopping working and sitting in a Rocker yet! self employed 35 yrs and will be another 25 .if I dont kill myself the wife says!

rob350

Reaction score
My step dad has had back sergery, twice.

First time would have fixed it, but being a farmer and a work-a-holic, after a week of watching TV he was back out no matter what working. Year later he had to go in again as he messed it up not taking the proper recovery time. The second time he followed the (2 or 3?) month recovery time, and now his back in perfect.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
IMHA, explore all other treatment options first. Once all treatments have been tried, consider surgery as a last resort. Once they take out a part of you, it doesn't grow back the same and scar tissue can more trouble than what they were trying to fix.

backseatrider

Reaction score
I suggest a chiropractor and accupuncture for as long as you can as they will give you some pain relief and strengthen the rest of your back. Then when all else fails go for the surgery as once they operate it can't be undone. Just my 2 cents!

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
Thanks alot guys for all the info. It really seems that everybody's back responds differently. I think I might try living a little longer with the pain its not keeping me from sledding so.....
just a quick note for you considering continuing on with the pain......

The pain caused from a herniated disk should show up in your butt and calf. If this is the case, you are suffering from cronic pain that is a result of pressure neing exerted on your spinal cord. Now, you think all is fine and tolerable and the alcohol or advil do wonders, but the longer you let it go, the more nerve damage you do. This is potentially damage that is irreversable.

I was in the same boat..... MRI in calgary resulted in a discectomy of my L4-L5.... I came out with more pain then I went in with. This was after 2 years of telling myself I can handle it and it will get better.

I moved on to bigger and better and went to Texas to get assessed. I went under the knife in Frisco Texas a week later..... By this time I had drop foot, losing feeling in both feet and a few other ì can wait`problems.

Mine went well beyond the discectomy.... but in the end, anything to do with your spinal cord is nerve damage and if you let it go to long, effects could be perminent. The toll it takes on your mentality and life is not much better. Dealing with cronic pain is not only hard on you but those around you. You may think you are alright, but if you are grouchy long enough, people tend to stay away.

http://centerforspinecare.com/

Last edited:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a quick note for you considering continuing on with the pain......

The pain caused from a herniated disk should show up in your butt and calf. If this is the case, you are suffering from cronic pain that is a result of pressure neing exerted on your spinal cord. Now, you think all is fine and tolerable and the alcohol or advil do wonders, but the longer you let it go, the more nerve damage you do. This is potentially damage that is irreversable.

I was in the same boat..... MRI in calgary resulted in a discectomy of my L4-L5.... I came out with more pain then I went in with. This was after 2 years of telling myself I can handle it and it will get better.

I moved on to bigger and better and went to Texas to get assessed. I went under the knife in Frisco Texas a week later..... By this time I had drop foot, losing feeling in both feet and a few other ì can wait`problems.

Mine went well beyond the discectomy.... but in the end, anything to do with your spinal cord is nerve damage and if you let it go to long, effects could be perminent. The toll it takes on your mentality and life is not much better. Dealing with cronic pain is not only hard on you but those around you. You may think you are alright, but if you are grouchy long enough, people tend to stay away.

Center for Spine Care - Dr Peloza M.D. www.centerforspinecare.com

Not all of your info is accurate. A herniated disc can manifest itself in various ways. It doesn't necessarily have to be pain in the cheek of the butt or down the leg. It can be localized low or mid back pain with no extension down the leg or in the butt. It all depends on which nerve/s the bulge from the herniation is putting pressure on....... likely not the "Spinal Cord" itself. There are so many nerves in the lower back that can seriously affect comfort and/or function of the legs and feet so it doesn't mean that there is permanent damage to the Spinal Cord should you be experiencing chronic symptoms. :beer:

Top Bottom