Who's got their own car hoist?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Luvan equipment in Winnipeg and had it shipped out. At the time they were the closest Canadian dealer. It's a very well built hoist and at the time was not a whole bunch more expensive. I went and looked at all the dealers here in Calgary and what I saw was no where near as well built. I also liked that it was clear floor and hydraulically equalized instead of using cables or chains.

Ya every Mohawk I have ever seen has been extremely well made. I'm surprised there isn't more dealers.
I'm not usually a made in USA guy but it seams to me when lifts are concerned it's the only way to go.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya ever Mohawk I have ever seen has been extremely well made. I'm surprised there isn't more dealers.
I'm not usually a made in USA guy but it seams to me when lifts are concerned it's the only way to go.

I agree. I'm leery of anything Chinese made that my safety relies on. Like a lot of things they make, the first ones are good quality and meet all the standards, and then they start cutting corners, using cheaper materials etc.. Scary.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I brought this Challenger lift for $3750 Cdn from dealer west of Edmonton. It was shipped from Kentucky to my work in Lloydminster. I hauled it home & installed it myself. That was 3 yrs ago, don't use it a lot. But its really handy when I need it.
6c153c33-ec95-4f16-a149-79c0dbf17c34_zpsohgpu3ia.jpg

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad , when I bought mine he had a 9000# Atlas scissor full rise lift too.
I bought it and flipped it in seconds!! They are great for that stuff.
Lots guys cut out concrete and re-pour a pad lower so lift is flush!! They are crazy $$ new. I paid $3000 and sold it for $4000 in 2 phone calls. But it was in excellent shape. I
That's fawking sweet.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Install took about 3.5h. All went great. Glad I poured pad extra thick where posts went. Still have some accessory wiring to do. Power cord real etc
Even lifts the old Chevy!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really want to raise the ceiling in mine. About 6 feet would be good!! But I think the cost would be crazy high. It would allow me some great storage solutions though.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6ft is a lot. When I did it we went 3.5 ft but poured a cement pony wall and new pad. The old pad was 2" thick and cracked big time. So it was a no brainer. But it was on a farm with no inspectors or next door people complaining about my garage taking up their sun level intake or some garbage!
6ft is possible but it's a lot of jacking and a ton of dunnage to support the beams.
But like you say cost would kill you. Might be cheaper to re frame roof depending on the shape of your shingles. If they are close to needing replacement it's one cost out of the equation. Trusses and plywood are cheap...ish.
I think my trusses for 1400sqft with dormers and scissor truss style was $4200 and that was with two huge beams.
Find a good truss designer and they can get pretty inventive. But if your drywalled, insulated and tons of electrical in ceiling it's gunna add up fast I bet.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 9000 lb rotary hoist that I got several years ago at Graham auctions in Calgary for 150 bucks didnt even know what I was bidding on all I knew is it was a hoist and they couldnt get a bid so i put my hand up at 150 and got it. there were 5 hoists there that day and should have bought them all as nobody was bidding. they have them there all the time but havent seen them go that cheep since. I finally built a garage big enough for it a couple years ago and it is the best 150 bucks I ever spent plus the Garage but I needed it anyway. 12 foot ceiling and the lift cylinders go about an inch into the ceiling
IMG00113-20111208-2059.jpg

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought this on Kijiji for $60 today! Don't need one but...cheap!

Also bought a oil dolly from KMS, Sure makes life way easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil dolly is sure nice! No more fighting pans or cleaning up spills.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working at a dealership has it's perks in that I can use the hoists when I need to. Failing that, Dad's got one out on the farm that gets used constantly. His is a 4-post though and I prefer the 2 post style now having used them at work. Much easier to get around with less banging of my noggin.

Edit: Also, I ****in love KMS.

Top Bottom