Who rolls their Nytro?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apart from the "unplanned events", who rolls their Nytro over to get them unstuck? We had one end upside down too long without a rollover can or valve and it resulted in a motor rebuild. On my TNytro I have the Alpine rollover can plus a long vent tube goining down to the bellypan. Curious as to people's experience for those doing a "quick" rollover to get unstuck? Any oil issues? I've been reluctant to roll it on purpose after the $5k+ bill.... One of the reasons I like riding our Pro's but I still enjoy the big tubo power of a 4-stroke turbo. Thanks!

08nytro

Reaction score
Was it running when you rolled it over??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how rolling a sled over leads to a blown motor if you're paying attention if any oil leaked. Unless it was running. Rolled nytro's many times, no shut off valve, no can. Lose a bit of oil occasionally.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son got it turnrd off pretty quick but as he was under it, it did run for a bit upside down and was upside down for a while until help got to him and lost a lot of oil. We were able to borrow a jug from great guys at Mustang cat skiing shop and poured it in letting it sit for a while before starting it. It then ran fine for 150 km's before ticking sound started and we shut it down towing it out. Mechanic said crankbearing was smeared and then ovalled itself out likely from oil pump cavitating.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, running upside down is bad. Rolling them quick while shut off is fine.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks 889! I thank you and my buddies thank you even more as I've a wuss when they suggested rolling mine out of a stuck. Kind of gun shy....

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled should have shut down before engine damage occurred. You should get the roll over switch checked to prevent it happening again.

When you do roll it over, just be sure to double check the oil level once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryder. This was back in '08 before rollover came out. Sleds gone now and my boys ride Pros.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Nytro in it stock form won't fair very well if rolled, they are are not well designed for that and it can spell an engine failure if not properly set up to go upside down.
In stock form the oil will run into the intake system and can hydraulic the motor, plus oil lost from a motor that only holds approx. 3litres won't tolerate running to low on oil.
Running upside down is a huge killer for these motors.
But can the Nytro be rolled or go upside down, yes it can. I have had mine upside down countless times with zero problems.
A tether is a must, roll over valves in general are unreliable and junk. A recovery oil tank that will not allow oil to escape and return it to sump. The oil breather line to air intake removed and routed to atmosphere via recovery oil tank.
this is a must for any Nytro that will be possibly rolled over.

loudelectronics

Reaction score
Yes it can. I roll mine many times on an outing. 7 times in last two days. I do it with the oft valve and tether though. So far so good since 2009.

John Cambell

Reaction score
I've personally never liked rolling my sled over when stuck. I know some friends do it, but I'd rather dig it out and treat it better. Just my opinion.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been with you John, but found it handy depending on the stuck...

Top Bottom