Who pays cash for sleds and toys and who finances??

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:party:We split everything 50/50 .....................She breaks it ,i fix it.............
As far as this thread ,it`s "remtarded", everyone is at different stages of there lives,etc etc..............With priorties changing constantly !!!

Shouldve said this instead of my"who has loys of money" thread.....haha

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i will put it this way, i financed mine because i got a low interest rate a kick ass deal and didnt have the 8k in my pocket, when i sell and can still get a decent price for mine i will buy cash.....3k is easier to come up with than 8 or 10, buying cash has its place, but if you can finance a sled, and sell it for what you owe on it after a year or 2 or even make money your not out a dime anyways. finacing also works better for some people who are good at budgeting, they know exactly how much extra they have have each month, and can accomodate a new payment. which can be easier than paying cash

niether means you are better off. what was the point of this thread anywho:confused:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your fawked. an rt1000 is 1/10th the sled any of the 2013 models are. yes your rt1000 pulls good but thats only a part of riding sleds. id rather pay a bit of interest from financing and have a brand new sled every year or two years so i know im reliable in the backcountry. the places i go can be a 5000 heli ride so like fawk im taking a ticking timebbomb rt1000 into the backcountry because its all i can afford to pay cash for LOL. financing brings tons of new people into the sport and puts some of the best and skilled riders on new sleds. just what i see

This was two years ago it's a 2011 dragon, large advantage due to RT1000 being a 163". And funny, my buddies with new sleds have broken down more then the old ones. I've had a chain break (the year I was dumb and bought a cat) but newer sleds have had electrical issues and refusing to start before.

As said ANY sled can die. Yes a RT1000 isn't quite as nice to ride in tight areas(it will follow any new sled just takes more effort), but I love the grin it gives you when your $5k sled just outpulled a $13k sled without any trouble, and still has plenty more left in it. I got the money for a XP next year, and still don't know if I will buy one over a RT.

Nothing wrong with a new sled, but why not keep one a few extra years, save the cash and buy it with cash, and save the interest?

I don't know about you, but i'm just as happy at the end of the day riding my old sled that's paid for, then if it was new and financed.

Banks love you people though, raking in record profits laughing at people who finance everything.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was two years ago it's a 2011 dragon, large advantage due to RT1000 being a 163". And funny, my buddies with new sleds have broken down more then the old ones. I've had a chain break (the year I was dumb and bought a cat) but newer sleds have had electrical issues and refusing to start before.

As said ANY sled can die. Yes a RT1000 isn't quite as nice to ride in tight areas(it will follow any new sled just takes more effort), but I love the grin it gives you when your $5k sled just outpulled a $13k sled without any trouble, and still has plenty more left in it. I got the money for a XP next year, and still don't know if I will buy one over a RT.

Nothing wrong with a new sled, but why not keep one a few extra years, save the cash and buy it with cash, and save the interest?

I don't know about you, but i'm just as happy at the end of the day riding my old sled that's paid for, then if it was new and financed.

Banks love you people though, raking in record profits laughing at people who finance everything.

no i would stop sledding before i hopped on an rt1000. but hey thats just me

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Who the fawk would even want to buy a snowmobile?????
i will put it this way, i financed mine because i got a low interest rate a kick ass deal and didnt have the 8k in my pocket, when i sell and can still get a decent price for mine i will buy cash.....3k is easier to come up with than 8 or 10, buying cash has its place, but if you can finance a sled, and sell it for what you owe on it after a year or 2 or even make money your not out a dime anyways. finacing also works better for some people who are good at budgeting, they know exactly how much extra they have have each month, and can accomodate a new payment. which can be easier than paying cash

niether means you are better off. what was the point of this thread anywho:confused:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's tempting to check a new XM this spring.

Thing is, I have some key renos this summer and I don't think the savings after that will add up to buy a new sled.

Guess I will get the '14's

I financed a sled before, not a big deal, but it sucks if you add up the numbers.

Coming from an old german background, LOL

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your fawked. an rt1000 is 1/10th the sled any of the 2013 models are. yes your rt1000 pulls good but thats only a part of riding sleds. id rather pay a bit of interest from financing and have a brand new sled every year or two years so i know im reliable in the backcountry. the places i go can be a 5000 heli ride so like fawk im taking a ticking timebbomb rt1000 into the backcountry because its all i can afford to pay cash for LOL. financing brings tons of new people into the sport and puts some of the best and skilled riders on new sleds. just what i see
Chitty part is everything breaks down!I've seen old crap all the way to brand new being towed out!I used to by the newest thing out of the factory every year but got tired of being a guiney pig for working the bugs out!A year old 'new' one is usually cheaper and all the recalls should be done.But if you see a $20 000 plus sled being sold for under 15 run away!!They usually are a time bomb waiting to burn a hole in someone else's pocket!!!But how someone pays for their sledding addiction shouldn't matter (as long as it's legal) and they pay their way when they come along!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70's when I started working for a living I could save enough money during the summer to buy a brand new sled in the fall. Did that twice, then life happened. With inflation being what it is that's pretty tough to do for most these days, so I can see why young people are financing. I can't do it now either. The 30 or so sleds I've had since then have all been payed for, but all second hand other than a brand new one in 2002 with money from my Dad's estate.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cash is the only way to go for anyone that can pull it off. A sled ends up being worth way less than a guy can sell it for after a couple of years of making payments.:twocents:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cash is the only way to go for anyone that can pull it off. A sled ends up being worth way less than a guy can sell it for after a couple of years of making payments.:twocents:

I don't buy toys for investments. I know the value is going to drop. I value the fun I'm going to have with it. If it lasts five years even though I've paid x amount in interest I feel it doesn't owe me a thing.

Why worry what it'll be worth in 3 to 5 years. Buy it to ride it.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Financing is a great tool when used correctly. I financed my sled last year but put a good chunk down and got a 5 year warranty on it so by the time its paid off my warranty will just be running out..... perfect. I use cash for things you cant finance like holidays, trips fishing sledding quading camping hunting etc.. I have payments (holiday trailer, truck, house, sled) but they are totally manageable. And I just bought my first quad cash a brand new 2011 arctic cat 550 just cause it was a good deal and I had some cash kicking around. With my financing coupled with a steady flow of cash as well, my credit rating has never been better.... hell the bank loves me and at the end of the day Im ok with that. Hell im only 26 so if I had to pay cash for everything I definitely would not be having all the fun I currently do. As a persons age increases though the amount of debt and financing they have should definitely decrease but its all in moderation

Top Bottom