Whitecourt Conditions

JamesZuk

Reaction score
we are currently sitting at a balmy 20 below and about 2.5' of snow, some of the drifts are over 5 ft. at work..... I know there are some of the trails and powerlines etc that arent too bad but you still gotta watch for the landmines... I know we've already got more snow so far this year then we had all last year and its lookin better and better :d From what i have heard from a couple buddies is that towards Barrhead they have even more snow that we do, as well as you SHOULDNT cross the Athabasca at the Fort bridge (still quite a bit of open water)

woodta

Reaction score
We went down Eagle Tower road and staged west of Kaybob gate (past airstrip) yesterday. Headed north thru "The Hills" to Hope rd. and got on the triangle trail. Headed north towards Swan Hills to trail marker 'D'. Snow was 12-18" deep, no base. Triangle trail not groomed and had to cross a few exposed logs. :)

Demon13

Reaction score
Rode from Swan Hills to Km 49(marker 'C') of the golden triangle on the 1st of Jan was groomed for the first 25kms to the 321 branch road cabin and then no tracks:d, about 10-12''. Sorry no pics.

powderbasher

Reaction score
Two feet of powder so far, no base, another snowfall warning. Hopefully get a base during the week, suppose to warm up. Then if we get another good dump should be good :)

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 379

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
worth the drive from fort saskatchewan, my wife got stuck 30 times and we spent a lot of the day pulling and pulling and more pulling. I have not seen that kind of powder in the mountains. All in all awesome day

009.jpg
012.jpg
017.jpg
016.jpg

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the club site at Home of the Whitecourt Trailblazers We have the best snow conditions I have seen in years right now. You can stage at the Eagle River staging area or the Groat Creek campsite. Dumping more snow right now.

eagle river is where we staged, and thanks to whitecourt emerg for the quick stitching of my buddy who should of ducked when he loaded his sled...those short roof trailers can be dangerous....19 stitches...ouch. best sledding in years

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best ride I've ever had at home yesterday. Snow is sooooo deep. Snow cat has been packing the trail without the drag because it's getting stuck. Unreal conditions right now but be cautious of the water crossings with these warm temps.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Rode our a$$es off on Saturday. Picked up our passes at Poo dealer and at his suggestion staged at Groat Creek. Been riding Whitecourt on and off for 30+ years and always went to Eagle. Thanks to Trailblazer's members hard work, had a great day. Trails are great, caution signs are welcomed. Off trail is fantastic this year with almost unlimited cut blocks, unplowed roads etc. Met some nice local riders and got excellent information and had a pleasent chat. Now I remember why I started sledding in 1969.

This is not a complaint, just an observation about Groat Creek staging. Plowed area is small. We took the truck and deck instead of the trailer. Good choice, parking was tight. Leave some snow for us next weekend.

knocksum

Reaction score
Epic snow conditions at Whitecourt. Staged at Eagle river and rode the power lines. Very deep, most areas knee to waist deep. Lots of fresh cut lines to ride. Not for the weak. Bring your shovel if you go off trail.

sleliuk1

Reaction score
worth the drive from fort saskatchewan, my wife got stuck 30 times and we spent a lot of the day pulling and pulling and more pulling. I have not seen that kind of powder in the mountains. All in all awesome day

View attachment 78633
View attachment 78634
View attachment 78635
View attachment 78636

yep that was an unreal day, even though we made f-all for miles, sure was an incredible amount of snow! Funny in that one pic you can only see the top of my bars when i hit those willows!

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
... a 20 sec video of what some of the trails were like last week in Whitecourt...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQFmhgbGsQ[/YT]

SKIROULE

Reaction score
Learned a valuable lesson this weekend. Don't try and ride the triangle trail from eagle river toward swan hills! The trail is a mess and in a few places is impassable . Trees across the trail and worse yet they are preparing for a pipeline or something. Good ride for a quad but just tears up a sled. Only managed to get 50 of 110 km in 5 hours before we gave up and rode the ditch back.

JamesZuk

Reaction score
That would be OJ pipelines.... they have a job to do but they definately are screwing up some prime riding country.... its some big pipeline project their doing for pembina not too sure where it all goes but im pretty sure its through judy creek to the hills and where it goes on either side im not too sure....

Top Bottom