Which oil to use in my 08 xp?

atvmodster

Reaction score
Can i get away with the ski-doo blend synthetic oil or do i have to use the full synthetic oil? Pretty pricey oil!

atvmodster

Reaction score
never mind found out that the synthetic blend is recommended in the powertech engine.

Crossfire7?

Reaction score
Through The Skidoo Oil In The Garbage And Start Running Amsoil!!! Best Oil, Best Move You Can Make..... Way Better Oil For A Lot Less Than What You Pay For The Skidoo Crap!!

atvmodster

Reaction score
My sled came from breton alberta. You probally seen my sled before. Picked it up this october.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Through The Skidoo Oil In The Garbage And Start Running Amsoil!!! Best Oil, Best Move You Can Make..... Way Better Oil For A Lot Less Than What You Pay For The Skidoo Crap!!

I agree. Made the switch a long time ago and will never go back. If you know someone who owns a shop they can probably buy it wholesale and save you a ton of cash.

merv jennett

Reaction score
amsoil is definatley the way to go dealers always promote what they make the most money on like motul oil etc. they could care less what is best for you its what is best for them.

merv jennett

Reaction score
Can i get away with the ski-doo blend synthetic oil or do i have to use the full synthetic oil? Pretty pricey oil!

just use amsoil &your troubles are over & don,t listen to the dealers selling junk oil because they usually make more money on junk oil so its always the best according to them.

trials rider

Reaction score
i run opti in all the 2 stroke motors i have never had any problems yet.
i usualy split on a barrel with some friends every year and no issues. theres lots of good quality oil out there and everyone has an opinion.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been told by my dealer that the oil pump is set for synthetic even thought the manual recommends the blend. If you want to use the blend they advise increasing the oil flow to compensate for the lower grade oil. I cant say if this is gospel or a bunch of crap but a few extra bucks per day is better than wrecking the motor. That said I agree that the dealer stuff is pricey and am going to switch to another synthetic oil this year and see how it works out.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I switch to amsoil interceptor.....After about 3/4 tank of oil burnt through the sled the results weren't so good..:( That pto side crank bearing piled up good enough that there wasn't much hope in doing a patch up job..:d Warranty covered a new drop in motor with no hassles. The original motor had approx. 500 miles and was bone stock w/ the exception of the cpi can. It may or may not be a result of the oil I was using but for arguments sake when it comes to the type of oil used in my XP I'll keep letting the french-canadian bend me over the barrel for the manufacturers recommended oil..:mad:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but for arguments sake when it comes to the type of oil used in my XP I'll keep letting the french-canadian bend me over the barrel for the manufacturers recommended oil..:mad:

That's what I've been running, and stories like this might keep me forking out huge dollars for oil for my machine. Bloody heck.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I`ve personally had two motors pop on me using Amsoil... I`ve now switched back to BRP blend for my XP and started using Ipone for my Popo and havent had a ounce of problems yet. Quit a few people I`ve talked to out here have switched away from Amsoil now....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the problem with oils like Amsoil/blue marble/etc. Like MervJennett says, it leaves the power valves "spotless".....You don't want them spotless!!!!!

Oil needs to leave a residue to be effective, if it burns all away....what's left to protect your motor? (like when your crank bearings burn up...:))

Use an oil that leaves a residue and use the right amount!! Too many guys cutting back flow and trying to mess with the oil pump and trying to save $3 a ride. You'll know when you're using too much oil - your plugs will start to foul. Otherwise.... :)

And FYI - the Doo oil is not "junk" - as stated by some folks :rolleyes:. I find it hard to believe that BRP offers a warranty while running exclusively on its own "junk". Running on "junk" oil would be just setting themselves up for warranty claims wouldn't it? I'm sure that's what the engineers were aiming for....

Doo oil is the same oil that passes the same tests as all the other brands. It even comes from the same factory, just a different label.

I'm not biased to Doo or Amsoil, I run Shell conventional oil and I run at 32:1.

Snow Bro

Reaction score
My crank seal was blown this year on my 09 XP when I did my pre-season check. I'm using the Doo blend right now. I used Amsoil Dominator for 5000+km's mtn riding in my 04 Rev-as mentioned the rave valves were clean throughout. It never failed, and was jetted down 2 sizes too. I blew my crank to pieces in my old Summit X 670 using BRP oil exclusively.
I don't know which is best. I suppose as long as it passes the tests, and you don't mix them. For all I know the crank seal may have been blown on my 670 prior to the crank failing. There machines, and they fail. Good maintenance saves $$$ IMO.

Last edited:

Slummit

Reaction score
I am no longer concerned by the brand of oil I run but the oil additive. I use Energizer Oil additive 1oz/tank. My friend lost his coolant and hot siezed while racing and by the time it cooled off and he pulled it apart, the piston could move smoothly through the cylinder. The colour had changed from the heat but NO DAMAGE. He taped up his coolant hose, filled his coolant and ran all day.
I run it in every vehicle I have now.

Top Bottom