Which oil to use & carb cleaning

amishdonkeys

Reaction score
Just bought a '07 Rev Renegade X 800HO. 2200miles on it. What kind of oil should I use? Owners manual says to use BRP mineral oil. Stick w/ the mineral or switch to synthetic? Use BRP oil or use somehting a little cheaper that your not paying extra $$$ for the brand name (Shell, Amsoil, Co-oP, etc.)?

Plus should I look at getting the carbs cleaned before using it? Guy I bought it from said he fogged it before storing it this past spring? I put some SeaFoam in it as soon as got it home. I've been starting it every couple of weeks to get the SeaFoam mixed into the unit.

Thanxs

merv jennett

Reaction score
Just bought a '07 Rev Renegade X 800HO. 2200miles on it. What kind of oil should I use? Owners manual says to use BRP mineral oil. Stick w/ the mineral or switch to synthetic? Use BRP oil or use somehting a little cheaper that your not paying extra $$$ for the brand name (Shell, Amsoil, Co-oP, etc.)?

Plus should I look at getting the carbs cleaned before using it? Guy I bought it from said he fogged it before storing it this past spring? I put some SeaFoam in it as soon as got it home. I've been starting it every couple of weeks to get the SeaFoam mixed into the unit.

Thanxs

use amsoil intersepter oil keeps powervalves super clean, when putting away for summer always treat the gas with amsoil stabilizer & use amsoil fogging oil & you should not have trouble starting the next season. also run the motor for 15 min. after putting the stabilizer in the gas tank

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use amsoil intersepter oil keeps powervalves super clean, when putting away for summer always treat the gas with amsoil stabilizer & use amsoil fogging oil & you should not have trouble starting the next season. also run the motor for 15 min. after putting the stabilizer in the gas tank

DONT LET IT IDLE FOR 15MIN. You'll cook your engine.

You'll find tonnes of posts about oil on here, but I have been happy with Shell Advanced. Goes on sale a couple times a winter at CDN Tire for 28-36$/4litres. Normally 44ish?

For a cleaning you can either take the carbs off, or take the easy route which may not be as thorough and run some seafoam through it. If you don't know what seafoam is, google "engine seafoam". Available at Napa for 13-16$.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haaa 15 mins yup thats good for it and use amsoil interceper oil the best period :d

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we use brake clean when we take the carbs apart, havent found the miracle carb cleaner yet.......lol

T

if you can still find the tyme cab cleaner in a 5 gal pail or 25 gal pail with basket it is best but really really hard to find i think i still have a line on it but it really stinks too

as far as 2 stroke oil amsoil or shell the oem stuff is not made by them anyway it is some oil company making it for them so there is no reason an aftermarket oil wont work but i have had best luck with the two i listed everyone is different though in oil preference

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have always run BRP mineral in my sleds. never a problem with plugs or anything. runs clean. once road with somebody that ran some off brand oil and it smelled like $hit and never wanted to ride with him again., but im sure any brand like shell, amsoil etc will be fine. i only use BRP because if i dont and something happens to my sled i will never here the end of it from my dad.

Top Bottom