Oil and pre season maint.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice as I’ve just picked up a 13 summit x and am getting conflicting info. I’m coming off years of the cat 1100 turbo so looking to people with real experience on S&M.
The guy I bought from swore up and down amsoil dominator is what he used and that it worked perfect. I’ve read other reports that says DO NOT use anything but skidoo. Obviously ski doo says I need to “tear everything apart clean the injectors and make sure 100% of amsoil is gone or it’s definitely going to blow the motor” which I dont believe.
Anyone have first hand advice? What’s are people running for oil?

Also before I take the summit out for the first ride is there a list of things I should do?
Obviously the normal stuff like grease and normal inspection on drivers sliders, etc, more wondering about engine wise. Four stroke to two stroke is totally different. Can’t wait to ride it though after testing a two stroke last year I’m almost embarrassed I just went straight to four stroke and never considered two!

Thanks for any insights.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Luke, I ran Amsoil Dominator for years in my Doo's (2010, 2012, 2-2013's, 2014, and the 2015 T3) and never had one iota of a problem. I changed to Doo oil when the 850 came out because of a concern for warranty on the newly designed motor.

There will be no warranty remaining on the 2013, so I would continue using the Amsoil and not lose any sleep over it. Just the opinion of an ol' fart. Others will differ. :dance:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run any high end synthetic oil.
Replace chaincase oil and check chain condition and tension.
Pull the clutch off disassemble to clean and check for worn parts. Likely needs springs and bushings in cup and sliding sheave.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rebuild the primary clutch, $149 at Blow Cycle, check your motor mounts, front PTO side is known to go, run the amsoil, tonnes of peeps doo. Couple of springs like mentioned and give'r.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all.
Sounds like the shops just saying what they were likely trained to say.

The sleds only got 900km. Still need a clutch rebuild already? I’ll start by pulling it apart and having a look. They guy I bought it from seems to have taken really good care of it and didn’t ride it much.

Doug maybe this is the year we get out for a ride! I’ve got some vaca booked for December. I’ll pm you and see if there is a day or two that works. Can’t wait to ride the summit!

smc

Reaction score
Is the amsoil even any cheaper than skidoo xps? I like the shell full synthetic myself, the 5L goes on sale for $48 every so often.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pending where you get the Amsoil from it will be cheaper than the doo oil. I was buying it for about 40 bucks for a gallon last year. If the clutches look good, I’d at least replace the springs. Springs do pack out too from storage, I replace mine every year.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all.
Sounds like the shops just saying what they were likely trained to say.

The sleds only got 900km. Still need a clutch rebuild already? I’ll start by pulling it apart and having a look. They guy I bought it from seems to have taken really good care of it and didn’t ride it much.

Doug maybe this is the year we get out for a ride! I’ve got some vaca booked for December. I’ll pm you and see if there is a day or two that works. Can’t wait to ride the summit!

900kms only! LOL pull n go bud. No need to rebuild a dam thing, feeling spendy go get a new belt for it.

If you were at 3000km it would be another story.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
900kms only! LOL pull n go bud. No need to rebuild a dam thing, feeling spendy go get a new belt for it.

If you were at 3000km it would be another story.

Belt looks hardly used, same with the spare. Not feeling spendy that’s forsure. Hopefully within the month there will be enough snow to at least take it for a trail ride up somewhere. I’m sure that should reveal if it needs anything.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From personal experience. Go buy a second dess/tether cord. Can only be done at the dealership and they're chipped to the ECM on each sled. Buddy always uncapped his from his body and forgot to hook up once and rolled the thing. Cord popped off never to be found again. It was a long pull out of there.
Otherwise everyone elses advice is decent. Take a look at the sliders. Check the skags. Give it a grease. Chain case oil. Even with 900 km I'd still pop the clutches apart and at least blow em out and see what the springs look like. It'd be a good idea to know what they look like now and maybe take a few pics then check em again in a few hundred km. See if there's anything out of place or lots of belt dust in there.
You'll love the sled tho theyre really fun

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both clutch springs will be bagged out, not from a km put on but from sitting compressed and not used, it will work without changing them but be soggy I bet

As soon as break in is over, I'm onto Coop xls synthetic 2 cycle oil, at 38 a 5l and it's real good oil, never had a issue and have many Buddy's switch also with same results

Oh and keep eye on the rear wheels for tightness, unless it's got the updated keepers

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd change the plugs out after that many years if they haven't been done, go through the clutches, clean them out and put in new springs. I would also change out the fuel filter (WIX 33095) and if you're ambitious take the raves out and clean them. Other than that look forward to winter.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blow out the clutches and change the chain case oil and just a check over everything make sure its all good. My 12' summit had 4200kms on it and never did anything to the clutches. Disassembled primary once at about 2400 and measured it all, and there wasnt hardly any wear, so put it all back together and from then on only ever blew it out with air.( and it would pull neck and neck with a 15' summit, so I figured it was working just fine). Yeah a second key is a sure way to ensure you will never need it! We spent an hour looking for a key after a roll only to discover it was all wrapped around the bars!lol.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Luke, I ran Amsoil Dominator for years in my Doo's (2010, 2012, 2-2013's, 2014, and the 2015 T3) and never had one iota of a problem. I changed to Doo oil when the 850 came out because of a concern for warranty on the newly designed motor.

There will be no warranty remaining on the 2013, so I would continue using the Amsoil and not lose any sleep over it. Just the opinion of an ol' fart. Others will differ. :dance:
100% pure horse dookey, I've been running Mistik in my 14 XM since I bought it and haven't had any issues whatsoever. That's just Doo trying to sell you their expensive stinky oil, I'd keep burning the Amsoil or whatever good quality oil you prefer.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful when u pull that sled over for the 1st turn u will be on your windshield haha . Xm is so light and tippy have fun .

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up the clutch and gave it some grease. Took it out to give it an easy test and loved it. So much easier to ride than I thought it would be. First little bit of side hill I literally laughed out loud it was so easy to get on edge.
Thanks for all the advice everyone greatly appreciated

Top Bottom