Which avalanche bag to choose?

joe-bert

Reaction score
Hey so theres so many different avalanche bags out there which ones to choose? i was talking to a guy today and he said the abs bags are where its at because apparently their more comfortable than say snowpulse, and that the companies are starting to go away from the snowpulse design of inflating over the shoulders and behind the head? I'm new to the back country scene and would just like some general ideas on which bags to look for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the ABS Freeride, it's light and doesn't hinder my movement at all. That being said I have storage in my seat and bar bag so I don't need any storage in my avy bag It does cost me $50 every year to test it to make sure it's working and the odd time when i catch the handle on a branch lol ( pilot error )

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember the packs are a tool, thay need to be tested and maintained. They all have strengths and weaknesses, even the ABS has it's faults. Find a bag that works for you, they all fit different. Shop around or rent a pack next time you head out West. I wear the new Highmark 22 from Snowpulse and it doesn't restrict me in any way, and is still comfortable at the end of the day.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Love my snowpulse Highmark II. Great size for storage looks and feels good. Not sure where you heard they are getting out of that design because it's the only bag that really protects your head from trauma when it's deployed and that's a great thing if you ask me. The only company I wouldn't buy is BCA due to their number of misfires over the last couple years. That being said they might of fixed that problem but I don't know as I have not been doing any research since purchasing my bag. 2 great friends went and bought 2012 model snowpulse bags after trying mine on. Snowpulse is a touch cheaper if I remember correctly too. I would 100% recComend a snowpulse!

joe-bert

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all the info, i was out in allen yesterday and had borrowed a buddies snowpulse pack and i liked it... i wouldnt mind trying the ABS bag though those are essentially the two brands im deciding between to me i just dont like the way the BCA bag just inflates as a pillow... The snowpulse was quite comfortable though.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all the info, i was out in allen yesterday and had borrowed a buddies snowpulse pack and i liked it... i wouldnt mind trying the ABS bag though those are essentially the two brands im deciding between to me i just dont like the way the BCA bag just inflates as a pillow... The snowpulse was quite comfortable though.

Got a primo one in the classifieds that you can save almost $400 on. Lol.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was originally planning to buy a snowpulse. I had looked into BCA, ABS and snowpulse. I got to be honest with you it was a tricky decision between the ABS and snowpulse. After looking into both bags I realized that ABS was the winner in my books, by a long shot. They have been making Avy bags much longer than any other company, they have the largest airbag, they have 2 airbags incase one gets punctured. Sure the bag decision of snowpulse seems like a good idea at first, but it restricts head movement, floats you on your back Which is a no no. The snowpulse bag is supposed to protect you from trauma, which is not needed when in the past 10 years 0% of sledders in avalanches have died from trauma, it effects head movement which means it does more bad then good. Movement of the head is key in escaping an avalanche, also the arms. Do your research, you may decide on the snowpulse,ABS, or BCA thats your choice. I just thought I'd post my 2 cents on why I went with ABS.

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
i love my snowpulse avy tekvest. i will admit its a little heavier but its comfy and it dosnt pull your shoulders back like a back pack. i like how it it still has lots of storage too and breathable air. like all avy bags i hope to never have to use it. just cause you have a avy bag dosnt mean its going to 100% save you or keep you alive and its still a flip of a coin whether you pull the cord or dont. everyone please ride safe, ride smart and ride to ride again.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was originally planning to buy a snowpulse. I had looked into BCA, ABS and snowpulse. I got to be honest with you it was a tricky decision between the ABS and snowpulse. After looking into both bags I realized that ABS was the winner in my books, by a long shot. They have been making Avy bags much longer than any other company, they have the largest airbag, they have 2 airbags incase one gets punctured. Sure the bag decision of snowpulse seems like a good idea at first, but it restricts head movement, floats you on your back Which is a no no. The snowpulse bag is supposed to protect you from trauma, which is not needed when in the past 10 years 0% of sledders in avalanches have died from trauma, it effects head movement which means it does more bad then good. Movement of the head is key in escaping an avalanche, also the arms. Do your research, you may decide on the snowpulse,ABS, or BCA thats your choice. I just thought I'd post my 2 cents on why I went with ABS.

Might want to check your 0% died from trauma statistic. Many die from trauma, including the skier that passed away on at Pemberton 2 days ago.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to check your 0% died from trauma statistic. Many die from trauma, including the skier that passed away on at Pemberton 2 days ago.

It is my understanding that few avalance deaths are from trauma. Not saying that their isn't any (guess I shouldnt've put 0%) but it always seems that, that point comes up when talking about the pro's of snowpulse bags, when in reality their are less deaths caused by trauma than we think. It is a good idea but when mobility of the wad is effected it doesn't sound so good anymore.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that few avalance deaths are from trauma. Not saying that their isn't any (guess I shouldnt've put 0%) but it always seems that, that point comes up when talking about the pro's of snowpulse bags, when in reality their are less deaths caused by trauma than we think. It is a good idea but when mobility of the wad is effected it doesn't sound so good anymore.

trauma is 25% of the problem for sure now it does say with snowmobilers specificaly it is 9% so I see how maybe these bag companies market saying trauma is not the problem,,, ... these bags are great on open slopes to keep you up and visable for sure....but the tree's, rocks and traps will kill regardless not saying the bags are not good every bit helps for sure....
crazy part is half that died of trauma were not burried......be safe

here's the facts

Results: There were 204 avalanche fatalities with mortality information over the 21-year study period. Of these, 117 victims underwent autopsy, and 87 underwent forensic external examination. Asphyxia caused 154 (75%) deaths. Trauma caused 48 (24%) deaths, with the rate of death from trauma ranging from 9% (4/44) for snowmobilers to 42% (5/12) for ice climbers. In addition, 13% (12/92) of the asphyxia victims who underwent autopsy had major trauma, defined as an injury severity score of greater than 15. Only 48% (23/48) of victims for whom trauma was the primary cause of death had been completely buried.

alberta73

Reaction score
I own both bags and actually inflatted both while geared and on a sled just yesterday for a friend who is trying to decide the same thing. The abs is excellent quality for sure, they are the ones doing research probably for the rest of them. Good bags, small canister easy to change and add new trigger and quick to repack. Completely out of your way when inflated and easy to grab trigger. It is an abs escape 15 I bought in late 03 and still looks new but doesn't fit all the gear real great, shovel handle and probe stick out the top and not much room for anything else, etc however I know they make bigger/ different models that may be more sled specific now. My snowpulse is last years highmark 22 and I love it as a pack. Straps and buckles all great and easy to access and fits me and my stuff great all easily accessible. Don't like the zipper for repacking the bag, velcro on the abs is much faster and easier. Not sure which handle I like better, probably the abs t handle as you know you have it with gloves on and it's always there, the snow pulse is a loop and good if you check it and make sure it's out of its pouch and prominent but someone told me the pulse has gone to a t as well now? I thought the snowpulse deflated after 5 minutes and released all its air into your cavity at the same time as creating room around your head and neck and chest but if it does it's not much at once, mine was still quite inflated 20 minutes after pulling the chord. The pulse definitely supports the head but doesn't restrict mobility in a forward range (120 degrees total left right maybe?) and deosn't restrict your arms at all unless you are raising them high over your head - you could definitely ride down ok but could be limmited visibility if trying to sidehill out while looking up hill. In reality I wish abs made my highmark 22, probably a bit better quality fit and finish but the pulse is so functional and sled specific that I still choose it. In a mock training scenario yesterday with 5 burried victims I had my pack off, shovel & probe out and tranciever out of it's harness and in search mode then pack back on (you want it on incase a second slide comes down) in probably 35-40 seconds and some others were still fishing stuff out of their packs. Bottom line I like them both but the pulse is what I wear personally and my 13 year old wears the abs.

Last edited:

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought it was a good idea to bring this thread back to life. It's important we all are aware of the dangers out there, and what is available to us all.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the snowpulse last year and very happy with it. I tried all the bags on before I made my decision, and snowpulse it was. All the bags fit different.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about everyone saying that the Snowpulse floats you on your back being a bad thing. I've heard it a few times now. Don't you want to be floated on your back? I know I would rather end up with my head and face up, rather than face down in the snow when everything settles. Any feedback would be awesome.

Top Bottom