Where to buy gps map

Tbaz

Reaction score
Looking to purchase not online , in a store a gps map for trails in Alberta. Any direction where to go ? It's for garmin 60 csx

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ ×2
Cant go wrong with backroads.
I now use the app as well. Takes a bit to get used to but not too bad

Tbaz

Reaction score
Thanks. But I was looking for a store I can drive to and buy in person .

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get the whole province of Alberta from the play store for 20 bucks it interfaces with a tablet and download google maps (off line) so no cell service is needed. Using both these methods it is way cool for navigation. Take your garmin along for good luck. There are probably in excess of 20 apps on trails and hiking for free available from the store as well as topo and sat.

Last edited:

Tbaz

Reaction score
interesting, I am in edmonton and was just looking for a map for the gps for all of alberta or at least edmonton north

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gps central has the rino 650 on sale for $449. they have alberta backroads map at $149, and combine rino 650 with back roads alberta gps mapping at $574 , better deal than cabellas!!

bonus they know gps and can set it up or solve your problems cabella's on the other hand will just take your money!!!!

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money it is all free and way better quality than a gps, not only that but it is all up to date as well. Windows 10 is coming down the pipe with their windows 10 offline maps and quality there is unbelievably clear. probably your cell phone does all this as well. Some of the tablets have built in gps as well with outstanding gps lock on qualities. However if you want topo maps there are some free but i think memory maps work a little better. Get your phone out if it is an android and try it out, if you do not have data no need just turn it off and download off line maps several apps have them. I used to print off a copy from Memory Maps and take it along with my gps plus activate a year subscription for satellite maps. But oh my Memory Maps and google earth offline (free I might add) and a tablet what a difference...unbelievable. Probably is an app out for how many steps and bears are between you and your destination.

Last edited:

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get the whole province of Alberta from the play store for 20 bucks it interfaces with a tablet and download google maps (off line) so no cell service is needed. Using both these methods it is way cool for navigation. Take your garmin along for good luck. There are probably in excess of 20 apps on trails and hiking for free available from the store as well as topo and sat.

The Name of the App Please ?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I see what you mean. Go to Play Store, type in search (maps). What comes up is four popular results, click the (more) green box. Then scroll down the hundreds of free and not free maps until you find Memory-map or M-M for 19.99. Of coarse there are some topo free which I have not tried out maybe the work good too. Hundreds to choose from. Right now memory-maps is sitting at 201 maps down from the start. Please do your part try some out and rate them for us as well, I have tried out 3 apps of the 400 or so that are available . I must warn you M-M are topo maps not satellite but they are super clear...just amazing if you ask me. Of coarse googe maps have offline satellite maps which you can toggle back and forth between the two.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ski tracks is supposed to be a good gps style track for a phone also

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In BC there is not a lot of Cell Service so i am kind of bias and will only use map apps that are offline for ratings.

Memory Maps 4.5 out of 5. Extremely easy to use, Exceptional clarity, know a distance to your destination at a glance, know exactly where you are at all times. Missing points, no built in compass that i know of, no picture to map capabilities. I did not realize i did not have to buy this because my old memory maps would have worked

Google maps offline 4.1 out of 5 Easy to use, way larger satellite screen that a gps, faster offline map downloads than a gps like seconds. Missing points offline maps only store for 30 days, 30 square kilometers is the largest download. No compass ore picture to map capabilities.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedymarks.android.suncompassfree&hl=en

When i mean compass one that works when your stationary. Oh and my whole repair manual is with me at all times with the tablet, battery life is days instead of hours.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my tracks on my phone , haven't used it much yet, but a buddy has and does

U load the map - area of where ur going first when in cell service

Then use it and it gps on that map, then u can load it back ect to what ever

This is going from what he said to do, haven't tryed it yet, but going too

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right they still do have paper maps 12.95 a map. I might want to add etopo is memory-maps, i had to pay 440 dollars to get the whole province of bc 20 years back.... it is now 39.95. Or app is 19.95. Backwards inflation.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well now i see the Memory Map app is free, I just bought it for 19.95 which is really 27 canadian dollars. But after checking with them it is a one time only charge. You also can buy the digital maps from them and load them in, this works way better if you ask me. I really do not care about the cost after seeing it in action. I also seen an app called huntstand lite, does that ever work good. Free windows 10, free google, free apps. free syncing, google store? windows store? I know one thing for sure data is not free. For no data with memory maps you will have to go online to map town, ship dvd of e-topo E90002 for 39.95. Then download memory maps 6.01 software go to your own created licence management and activate the product. Once you activate the product they will allow you to switch the licence to a new device if your dies. Etopo maps are the exact same maps you once bought from the government or the paper ones from maptown for 12.95, I doubt maptown as the 1;250000 ones though. I have heard that some of the apps are a monthly charge this may or may not be true. So please be helpful and report the good ones and the bad ones

Last edited:
Top Bottom