Where do people put their private safe in the home.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
False floor in bottom of a big freezer. Pretty safe down there in a bsmt
Yes, I used to do that also.
I'm not too worried about fire as we are quite conscience with regards to fire safety. I'm mostly concerned about thieves and break and enter type circumstances. The dog is no help as he is way over friendly. With upcoming events it is hard to say what will be the next big movement people will use to survive whether it is for drugs, food, etc..

Good information above and thanks guys. I'll let some of that sink in and make a decision.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I used to do that also.
I'm not too worried about fire as we are quite conscience with regards to fire safety. I'm mostly concerned about thieves and break and enter type circumstances. The dog is no help as he is way over friendly. With upcoming events it is hard to say what will be the next big movement people will use to survive whether it is for drugs, food, etc..

Good information above and thanks guys. I'll let some of that sink in and make a decision.
Don’t forget to let us know what your final decision is. 🙃

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'll look for some pics of gun safes from fires, every total loss fire I've been to the guns were destroyed inside the safe. Good ones appear to only have 40-minute fire protection at 1,200°F, so on a large fire like the pics posted above those fires burnt a lot longer than that and the doors warped, the guns were basically rusty metal, with no wood remaining just char. All the shells went off. Any document safe I've ever seen all the documents are typically burnt to a crisp. Maybe get some old asbestos sheets and wrap in those or Transite panels, JK.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a firebox
Picked up from the lock smith place by Can Tire off Wye Road (Sherwood Park).

I hope it holds up in a fire (hopefully never to have a fire).

Its a smaller box. Empty it is heavy.
I just keep it in my mechanical room.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paper chars at approximately 400 degrees, and guns are damaged when temperatures exceed 500 degrees, so it is recommended that the internal temperature of a safe should never exceed 350 degrees.

The average house fire burns at a temperature of about 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit, which isn't hot enough to destroy most metals and earthly-made substances.

The metal would sort of survive. Anything inside would get baked.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Paper chars at approximately 400 degrees, and guns are damaged when temperatures exceed 500 degrees, so it is recommended that the internal temperature of a safe should never exceed 350 degrees.

The average house fire burns at a temperature of about 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit, which isn't hot enough to destroy most metals and earthly-made substances.

The metal would sort of survive. Anything inside would get baked.
Thanks Ray, and as stated with thousands of house fires I've been too over the years any substantial fire the safe is destroyed if not the items in side are Burt to a crisp. Some can be interesting especially the shells.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The above advise of the concrete room is the best with a good fire door, then put the safe inside of that. Obviously only an option if building.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20210922_202453.jpg
20210922_202440.jpg
20210922_202443.jpg

Thats what mine says.

It passes a 1hr heat test. Not sure how much hotter 2hrs would be. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom