Where do people put their private safe in the home.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm not talking about gun safes but rather the smaller safes for storing valuables and cash. Are some places in the house better than other places? Fireproof/waterproof or just a relatively cheap one? Mounted in a manner that it can't be carted off? Hidden between the studs? In the attic? In a suspended ceiling?

Also, what kind of price range? Do you get what you pay for?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about gun safes but rather the smaller safes for storing valuables and cash. Are some places in the house better than other places? Fireproof/waterproof or just a relatively cheap one? Mounted in a manner that it can't be carted off? Hidden between the studs? In the attic? In a suspended ceiling?

You definitely get what you pay for, hidden. Bolted down and heavier duty the better. Imo

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a gun safe that looks like you could make it work. If you have the room. Lag it down and put some shelves in it. Kinda like a garage... when you build it you think it's big enough but very soon is not.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider. If the house burns to the ground. A track hoe will need to find it.
In the burnt out houses in Fort Mac people wanted saves found.
Not sure how water proof in under a few feet of water for a few days.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Buddy who's cabin burnt down had 2 of the cheap metal gun safes.... all guns inside toast. Check for fire rating
That really sucks. I know crappy way to explain it but worst case would be a fire.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a house where the homeowner wanted the foundation for his front step poured full height. We framed a floor on top of it and poured concrete on top of that. He cut a hole through his house foundation into that open space, insulated it put a big steel door on and made it his gun safe. The room was about 12 by 8, pretty slick setup. The door was located in his mechanical room and he had built a movable shelf to hide it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My gun safe is rated 60 minutes for fire. I live 2.1 miles from the fire dept on a highway. I hope I'm covered.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My gun safe is rated 60 minutes for fire. I live 2.1 miles from the fire dept on a highway. I hope I'm covered.

The capabilities of the nearest fire dept is more important then the distance. Many are not capable of putting out a house fire effectively compared to big city depts. If my house started on fire, i'd want it to completely go, rebuilding part way and it would never be the same, but considering the station nearest to me that's exactly what would happen anyway.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a house where the homeowner wanted the foundation for his front step poured full height. We framed a floor on top of it and poured concrete on top of that. He cut a hole through his house foundation into that open space, insulated it put a big steel door on and made it his gun safe. The room was about 12 by 8, pretty slick setup. The door was located in his mechanical room and he had built a movable shelf to hide it
I may or may not know someone else that may or may not have a similar set up.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buy the best fire rated safe you can afford that will fit inside a normal closet. Install a double layer of drywall in the closet including the floor, paying attention to overlapping the joints so there is no direct path into the stud space. Mud and tape to seal the joints. Secure to the studs using metal straps on the outside of the safe so that it can’t be easily removed, and install it with the non hinge side of the door adjacent to the back wall to make prying the door difficult. Try not to put anything else in the closet that will burn. DO NOT drill holes in the safe or buy one with holes pre drilled. Put a fire rated solid core metal door on the closet with weatherstripping And a good deadbolt. All this in a room WITH a window.
If you have a fire, the double drywall will give you added time that will allow the fire department to get control of things. If they can’t/don’t, or you live in a rural area, the window in the room should fail from the heat and ventilate the room. If the house is a total loss and everything ends up in the basement, all bets are off and most likely the safe will be full of water.
Ive seen three protected closets and their contents like this survive fires where the rooms surrounding were totally burned out. The contents of even a good fire rated safe will not survive direct flame impingement for anything but a brief time.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here is average total loss house fires, and everything is burnt bad don't buy a cheap safe.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

Top Bottom