Whats wrong with truckers?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet , lots of idiots on the road in all types of vehicles. And there are reasons for frustration and causes of impatience on both the professionals and non professionals.
But the professionals are supposed to minimize the problems that exist on our hi ways. So when people come to the bottom of a slippery hill on a 4 lane and all lanes are plugged like bumper cars by trucks spun out barefoot , totally blocking the hill, I think there should be a $5000 fine issued to every truck after the first or second one , either incompetence or laziness but who cares . And every time you've got a bunch of traffic following a few trucks waiting patiently for the oncoming passing lane , and when they get there the second truck pulls out cause he can go 2 km/hr faster than the 1 set truck , and completely screw up,the whole concept of " passing lane" , again issue them a substantial fine, make it friggen hurt.
Im hearing on here about all the totally professional drivers all over the road , but when I get out on said road, I'm not seeing quite as many as are alleged on here.
You bet I respect the need for that industry and acknowledge their contribution, but before you start pointing fingers and suggesting all your problems are caused by everyone else, maybe work on minimizing the number of idiot "professionals" your industry is endorsing .
The bush trucks and off road trucks are in a different class IMO, they are dealing with mostly other traffic involved in some sort of resource industry, with some unique road rules.

Should the public be fined for doing the same things?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've said a lot of things in this thread that I agree with, but you've arrogantly called me a "civilian" enough times now to piss me off! News flash buddy....being a truck driver doesn't bestow any special status on you. You're just as "civilian" as the rest of us, so get off your high horse!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A civilian is "a person who is not a member of the military or of a police or firefighting force".

Oh we are gonna have to edit that on Wikipedia.

On it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh we are gonna have to edit that on Wikipedia.

On it.

Ha, ha! Merriam-Webster definition of civilian:

[FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: one not on active duty in the armed services or not on a police or firefighting force[/FONT]

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should the public be fined for doing the same things?

Absolutley. Especially the ones driving 50 or 60 ft vehicles that can go 130 on flat and downhill and then 75-80 up any incline. But I'll tell you what, I've had a hell of a lot more RV's and motor coaches pull over and let me by than I have ever had trucks. Answer is usually cause they're working, but what if the vehicles they're holding up,are working ?

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy, I do it for a living, I know. You can continue on with your flat land driving.

Your a perfect example of what I meant earlier on by educating the public because you have proven you dont know fawk all about what a trucker faces.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I used to drive also. And it was both on and off highway heavy haul mostly.
And I live in BC you clown.

You seem to be the perfect example of just another entitled trucker that doesn’t give any regard to the public that also uses the highway.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you missed the part where I said I used to drive also. And it was both on and off highway heavy haul mostly.
And I live in BC you clown.

You seem to be the perfect example of just another entitled trucker that doesn’t give any regard to the public that also uses the highway.

I understand why "you used to drive" if you cant understand the effect of being governed at 90 kmh and being able to travel at posted highway speed in mountains and hills.

I guess I must be an entitled trucker who doesnt have any regard for the public because I call your azz out. Sorry I dont give a sheet enough about you to track your where abouts, especially when your location says Cental Alberta.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've said a lot of things in this thread that I agree with, but you've arrogantly called me a "civilian" enough times now to piss me off! News flash buddy....being a truck driver doesn't bestow any special status on you. You're just as "civilian" as the rest of us, so get off your high horse!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A civilian is "a person who is not a member of the military or of a police or firefighting force".

Yup, probably a poor choice of wording, thinking more about the point than the wording. Couple of my buddies are retired military, get so used to them using the term "civies" that is rubbed off I guess.

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I posted before I've been driving many years but have never considered myself as a entitled trucker. Not even sure what that means. There is a driver shortage for sure so when that happens you get some people who aren't very professional. I see this in any occupation you have those who care and are passionate about their jobs and are a pleasure to deal with. Then those who are only there for the pay check until something better comes along this can leave a bad impression on a person but I lay blame on that person not the whole industry they work in.
I get paid a percentage of the gross income off the truck. I've kept track month to month on hours worked compared to percentage and they are very close. It depends on the hourly rate I used 25 an hour but I don't if that's what a company would pay by the hour. Days when things go good percentage is better days spent sitting in lines hourly is better. I keep trying to win the damn lottery so I can retire but it's not happening! Ha guess I still have to drive could be worse though got my health and a job. Just my opinions.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems some companies cheap out on trucks too. Pretty sure I followed one out of Rogers this winter that didn't even have a engine break.

And then there is maintenance.
See some truck in the road I would trust on my farm.

But then again I guess this all comes down to $$$$.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems some companies cheap out on trucks too. Pretty sure I followed one out of Rogers this winter that didn't even have a engine break.

Never seen a new truck without an engine brake.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd never live in Golden....unless da semi and jake got banned lol

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
!!!!!!

Attachments

• 602B7D6C-1ADE-43B3-B2CB-32728C38325F.jpeg
    602B7D6C-1ADE-43B3-B2CB-32728C38325F.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 190

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lots of times in winter you turn your jake off, bad bad things can happen if it comes on at the wrong time.

As for maintenance, sadly your right, not something they teach you in the Calgary driving schools.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of times in winter you turn your jake off, bad bad things can happen if it comes on at the wrong time.

As for maintenance, sadly your right, not something they teach you in the Calgary driving schools.
Bad things just about happened when he headed into the Roger pass 50km dogleg at 100km/hr.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would make the road a lot safer, that is forsure.

I just read through this whole thread and just shake my head, lots of talk and it obvious that only 2% of the commenters have experience in this topic. Ever approach the bottom of a hill with no turbo boost??
Talking about speed limiting trucks to 90 will not stop the problem. Humm BC has the speed limit at 120 on the COQ, why not lower the posted speed limit to 90 in the whole province since mountain training comment surfaced. Ive seen worse hills in NFLD then I ever seen in BC. Logging roads are a different topic so...
GPS tracking on trucks is old tech thats been around for almost 20 years, monthly ECM downloads, etc. You want professional drivers in trucks, than start with the companys selection process on there drivers and their equipment.

IMO everyone who gets the privilege of getting there class 5 should take mandatory Class 1 driver training, cause I see that some non professional four wheel drivers should be limited to 100hp under the hood.

Top Bottom