whats the sled worth??... needs new motor

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, trying to figure out what my brother can get for his 04 Summit 800X 151" in excellent shape, except the shop says it needs a new motor :(. Has the following add ons: can, ceramic coated pipe/ypipe, full skidplate, chrome wheels, gas can, ice scratchers, left hand throttle, fly screen, coolant temperature gauge. Has around 2400 miles.

Any ideas on a price he can get for it? Its in awsome shape, clean, polished tunnel

Thanks

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in case your wondering:

He was riding on the lake a few days ago when all of a sudden it shut off, like he hit the kill switch. Well he started it up fine, and road a bit longer, and it shut off again. This time it wouldn't start, he said the recoil didn't even engage the motor?? The shop's not sure yet, but they think a new motor...

Any ideas what it could be???

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few of these sleds melt the rewind assembly inside, did you guys try turning it over using the clutch? A motor is worth 2400.00 and then you send your old one back and can get up to a max of 700.00 back as a core deposit, so if you get all the 700.00 back then the motor actually only costs you 1700.00

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys...

Well I haven't even had the chance to look at it yet, but I'll try to turn it over using the clutch. Apparently you can pull the recoil out, but it doesn't turn over the engine. So it's not seized. I'll check the sled out first and get back.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me 2wks ago in the hills!We ended up leaving the sled on the hill for 2days,before we left i poored some oil in the cylinders! When we got back we spun the primary forwards and backwards and she broke loose! I ended up riding it out that day!
I checked the comp on it it was 125 on both and she still runs!
Definately a weird one,if you end up figuring it out please let me know!
Thanks!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recoil doesn't turnover the motor = seized???

he said recoil doesn't engage not won't turn over engine. try tuirning it over from clutch side.

i guess i should read the complete thread b4 opening my big yap

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a look at the sled today, and also got the full story too... Turns out he blew the belt, changed it, and started going again for only 2 minutes when it first shut down. I can turn the primary, but seems easier to turn than it should.

Shop says the motor may have sucked up some of the belt, causing the crank bearings to go bad?? They gave a price of $2400 for a new motor, and it comes with a 6 month warranty.

Does this sound right?? I might need to check the recoil too.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
def sounds a lil odd to have sucked in a piece of belt :confused:, myself I've never heard that one before but hey!....may be worth looking on ebay though!

.....if anything else pm me and I'll buy it off him for the right price? :d (if he goes that rout)

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah, I was a little puzzled about that too, they said it sucked in some belt material, causing the bearings to go bad.
Not sure how I can check compression, recoil pulls out, but doesn't turn over the engine. I guess I could try turning the primary by hand.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe bely took out crank seal , started going , leaned it out seizing engine????????

Top Bottom