Whats the first sled you rode or own?

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first one i roide was a 1978 ski doo 400cc single. It was one of those big old twin tracked beasts. Then the first i bought was a 1980 yamaha 440ss. That thing was a fast sled.I wish i kept it.

poppajon

Reaction score
These are two of our old machines that sat for 10-15 years, when we decided to get them running last year Christmas day. Took about 5hrs, but we had them running good. On the 26th we went out for a long vintage ride on the old iron with no problems.....they truly do not make sleds like they used to! My uncle used to race the old Cat. Its a 500 free-air, I think its a 76-79ish. Its had about 30 hoods and belly pans on it....so he says. THe old Everest 444 ran oddly good. Still faster than it really should be!

Have a good Christmas All!!!!!!

Poppajon

Attachments

• sled01.jpg
    sled01.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 129
  • sled02.jpg
    sled02.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First solo ride was on a '74 panther 440... it was so fast my eyes would water!!! :D Of course they watered when I would just go outside in the cold anyways... Dad could'nt get me off the thing. :rolleyes:

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 72 399 Nordic.Still remember the flip up head light, the 10 acres to turn around and the headaches I got from the exhaust.Those were the days.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1971 Sno-Jet 396SS My dad bought it new,Ijust donated it to a Sno-Jet collector this fall.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my first sled was a 78 440 tnt then i got a 81 blizzard 5500

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 72 399 Nordic.Still remember the flip up head light, the 10 acres to turn around and the headaches I got from the exhaust.Those were the days.

I also remember the '72 Nordic's, My Dad owned one!!! I loved the lever that opened or "Popped open" the flip up head light!!! I also remember the cable freezing and the light not beinng able to pop up! :):) MY mom Stripped down the seat and added 4 inches of padding to get her to sit higher in the saddle and then recovered the foam with black vinyl (because she was so short).

Wow... theres a forum topic! Hey, My mom was one of the first to experience rider forward sledding!!! I am going to post a new topic on this subject on this site!!! OK, my Mom was cool? Funny how somethings bring back memories!

Holy crap, I'll explain later... in a new topic.

DonMcKay

Reaction score
Website
www.calgaryatvriders.com
My first Sled was a 69 or 70 640 Ski-Roule. That thing was fast of the line it would hit 80 mph in about 100 feet. It was hard to pull start and you needed either to get it running. My younger Brother went to start it on day and the throttle stuck wide open, it started and took off, it hit the cultivator which was mostly buried in the snow but the top bar was sticking out of the snow. This took out one front ski and rolled the sled. When the sled rolled the hood broke. I did manage to get it back together and got some lube in the throttle cable. and rode it for another year or so then it pretty much just rotted away. I sold it for scrap and didn't have another sled until I bought the Yamaha's a few years ago.

My dad bought what was called a motor toboggan in 1956. This was very crude. The guy with the vintage sleds, that goes to the snowmobile shows has one almost like it. It had pipe front skies and a chain track with metal crossbars. The engine sat behind you on the tunnel.

Some of the early stuff was very interesting.
I like to look at the vintage sleds.

If any one is interested in some vintage stuff, Landon Taylor who owns and operates the Sled Parlor west of Carstairs Ab has some interesting stuff.

Don

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first sled was a '79 John Deere 440 Cyclone. I bought it with my paper route money when I was 14. It would do 70 mph along the highway ditch (my brother clocked it with his car because the speedo on the sled didn't work). It was a very heavy beast but I had many hours of fun on it. GOOD TIMES!!!!:):):):):):):)

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first one I rode was my family doctors 66 Olympic, then saved my tie peeling money and bought a new 71 Elan for $675.00 then had a brand new Ski-doo every 2 yrs after that till started riding Yamaha ,a 84 SRV .then switched to Polaris in 89, now going backwards and have a 74 Arctic cat Lynx. till I find a used Yamaha 4 stroke thats affordable.there way to expensive now for old farts like me.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First sled I rode was a 76 or 77 Moto-Ski Futura 440. Was right around 2 years old. Apparently, dad had started the machine, then went to start mom's. I slide up the seat and grabbed a handfull of throttle, accross the hiway and into the nieghbours house.:eek: Don't remember it, but I guess I held on for the whole ride, did some damage to the sled and house, but I was okay. Years later I bombed around the ditches and fields on that same sled. Now I ride an 800 Dragon.:D

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First sled was a 73 or 74 300SS Elan, ran great until it got warm then the thing would vapour lock and you would have to wait until it cooled down until you could go again. The sled was quite tippy.

Billy Boy:cool:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
First sled was a 73 or 74 300SS Elan, ran great until it got warm then the thing would vapour lock and you would have to wait until it cooled down until you could go again. The sled was quite tippy.

Billy Boy:cool:

SO THATS WHY MY GRANDPA WAS ALWAYS PACKING SNOW IN AROUND THE ENGINE/CARBS/FUEL PUMP....I WAS AWFULLY YOUNG, BUT DOO REMEMBER THEM PACKING SNOW IN AND AROUND TO KEEP IT COOL.

gerald

Reaction score
1974 TNT 440 Free Air. Went fast when it ran.Finally blew up at -30 in Spruce Grove.Swore to never buy a Bombardier product again

Top Bottom