What would you say to the Greenie?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If her bumper sticker was "Keep Jumbo Wild" then she thought you were a dumb redneck sledder and that you probably didn't even have batteries in your avalanche transmogrificator locator thing.

If her bumper sticker said "Sled Jumbo" "Think Fast Hippie!" or my favorite "Nuke the Tree Hugging Gay Whales For Jesus" she was just a concerned supporter and hoped you had a safe and fun day of outdoor enjoyment.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hi Mom!!!!

I would have said;"you obviously do not know who the fawk we are!!!!!"

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have said ahhhhh thanks for your concern. Why don't you come back around 5 to see if we made it out ok, if we're not here then we are under and avalanche......:eek:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well its nice that she was conderned enough to do something. I would have just told your there to do avalanche assesments. :d

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been sledding for 30-35 years, mostly in the mountains and my 16 year old kid and I have all the gear and the avy course but he still got caught in a slide on Sunday at Hospital Creek near Golden. I didn't mis-judge the potential of the slide conditions rather the amount of snow that can multiply by the funneling into a terrain trap. We were sticking to the trees but my son poked up only just above the tree line and bang it broke and he dissappeared into a cloud of snow. Very scary, luckily he was only half burried and only sore but it carried him a long way down the hill. He tumbled with the sled all the way. All the 5 ft trees were buried, his back-pack ripped off, the sleds hood ripped off, he lost his spare belt, goggles, shovel handle, and even the buttons off his handle bar controls. It took an hour to remove enough snow from the sled to get it running, Even the track was locked due to so much snow packed above the track. The reason I mention this is I too would have laughed off the greenie but I miss-judged this one thinking there was not enough snow above to be a concern.:eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 56

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been sledding for 30-35 years, mostly in the mountains and my 16 year old kid and I have all the gear and the avy course but he still got caught in a slide on Sunday at Hospital Creek near Golden. I didn't mis-judge the potential of the slide conditions rather the amount of snow that can multiply by the funneling into a terrain trap. We were sticking to the trees but my son poked up only just above the tree line and bang it broke and he dissappeared into a cloud of snow. Very scary, luckily he was only half burried and only sore but it carried him a long way down the hill. He tumbled with the sled all the way. All the 5 ft trees were buried, his back-pack ripped off, the sleds hood ripped off, he lost his spare belt, goggles, shovel handle, and even the buttons off his handle bar controls. It took an hour to remove enough snow from the sled to get it running, Even the track was locked due to so much snow packed above the track. The reason I mention this is I too would have laughed off the greenie but I miss-judged this one thinking there was not enough snow above to be a concern.:eek:

Thank god he is okay......as a parent that most be the most heart wrenching thing to watch......:(:(

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank god he is okay......as a parent that most be the most heart wrenching thing to watch......:(:(

It's was tough to go through and now tough to admit I was wrong, but still much easier than if he was hurt or worse. He is a cocky kid and I hope this experience sticks with him so he learns too.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank God everyone is ok. Thank you for sharing that, it must have been horrible to watch. I can't even imagine. :)

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i wonder how many avy's we dont hear about over the year that dont kill anyone but partially bury people

good to hear it all is good

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been sledding for 30-35 years, mostly in the mountains and my 16 year old kid and I have all the gear and the avy course but he still got caught in a slide on Sunday at Hospital Creek near Golden. I didn't mis-judge the potential of the slide conditions rather the amount of snow that can multiply by the funneling into a terrain trap. We were sticking to the trees but my son poked up only just above the tree line and bang it broke and he dissappeared into a cloud of snow. Very scary, luckily he was only half burried and only sore but it carried him a long way down the hill. He tumbled with the sled all the way. All the 5 ft trees were buried, his back-pack ripped off, the sleds hood ripped off, he lost his spare belt, goggles, shovel handle, and even the buttons off his handle bar controls. It took an hour to remove enough snow from the sled to get it running, Even the track was locked due to so much snow packed above the track. The reason I mention this is I too would have laughed off the greenie but I miss-judged this one thinking there was not enough snow above to be a concern.

Wow! Thank God your son's OK. Talk about your "School of Hard Knocks:! As hard as it is we have to try to be tactful with these fricken Greenie Idiots. Ranting and swearing at them only makes us look more like a bunch of Fools. That being said I would have had to ask her when was the last time she got ....some..(Leave it at that);):beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Glad everyone is okay and thanks for the post.

There was a line in the Special Avalanche Advisory stating "low probability/high consequence because of snow loading and the PWL" and that looks like what they were talking about.

We have witnessed quite a few of those in Elkford and the east Kootenays in the past weeks. Huge run-outs!

Once again, glad it turned out okay....:beer:

Top Bottom