What would be the best path to take?

summit700nk

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2005 summit 1000 x 162" sled today for 1500, with a blown engine. From what I can see, the piston skirt broke, and got jammed into the case from the crank. So it has a small crack in the one side of the water jacket near the waterpump and there is a piece broke off the stator side? From what he told me, the bolts that held the clutch together came apart, wore into the motor mount and then into the case which resulted in a lean running condition and finally a boom. From looking at the throttle bodies and the crud in them, I think the belt dust got into it, and started getting to the pistons. Either way is possible I guess.

I bought it thinking I could rob parts off the machine for my 144" to make it a 162". But after looking at it im really thinking about trying to get the 1000 going. Am I nuts?

So my question is, do I try and fix the engine and run it or just forget about it, get the parts I need to make my 800 a 162 and part the rest out? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple pics.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some random thoughts, no doubt I will follow up on these ...

these motor are not cheap to repair. certainly not like the 800's. I say build up your 800 like you planned then you have a lot of spare parts. its really only the bits holding the motor that are different on the 1000's, you'll get a ton of bolts and bits to help on projects for years to come. (side covers too)

the motor on the 1000 is about 60 -70Lb heavier than the 800, all round its a heavy sled.
it sounds like the motor is totally pooched, and I'm guessing the crank too. a crate motor is $3,800 last time I checked.

others will chime in with greater knowledge and experiance than I, but keep in mind its a 8-9 year old sled now and only worth about $3500 with a rebuilt motor.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every manufacture has an engine they should not have built. For ski-doo, that was the engine. part it out. jmo.

summit700nk

Reaction score
Sounds like my 800 gets the nod. Thanks for the input guys. Looks like ill part it out and see what parts I can re use on my 800.

SHADAM, I did find a couple on kijiji for 5k but I think those might have been a touch over priced but I figured for what some guys were wanting for skids and tracks, at least this way I have some way to recover costs. And I think the crank is ok. Still spins in the block fine. Ill probably start tearing into it tomorrow and see what happens.

Anybody know if the 1000 tunnel has a spot in it where the rivets are removed and makes the extension for other machines? Maybe im thinking of something else.

summit700nk

Reaction score
Anybody know if the clutch will fit a 800? The one on it was fairly new and has quick clickers on it.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch bolts on. Has different arms, pins, springs, and ramps I believe.

summit700nk

Reaction score
Ok, maybe Ill steal the quick clickers off it and sell it. I have a feeling that lots of this stuff will make its way on the marketplace.

Top Bottom