What were turbo kits worth when our dollar was low?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just browsing 2koolperformance and noticed that they say add 9% to prices on their site due to the high US dollar. This make sense on some items but what about canadian made turbo kits? For example, they sell powderlites and since it says add 9% to everything that must mean that kit as well. What I dont understand is why, since it is a canadian product.

So i was wondering if canadian turbo kits have come down in price since our dollar went up? I could be wrong but i can see canadian kit makers jacking up their price since a majority of their kits would sell to the US. That way they can make more money off of it and it would still be the same price as a US company kit. Of course the only ones who get screwed are the canucks

Basically I dont want to be shelling out another 2 grand come spring time when i go to do a kit. Man i hate it when our dollar takes a beating.:rant:

Am I off base with this assumption?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many components Canadian tubo builders use are not made domestically. They need to import them in.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many components Canadian tubo builders use are not made domestically. They need to import them in.

I figured as much, it seems everything is based off the US dollar.

Any idea if prices have come down in the last couple of years?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured as much, it seems everything is based off the US dollar.

Any idea if prices have come down in the last couple of years?

Not in the last couple years of any substantial amount....but as technology developes many installation prices have gone way down.
If I was you I would hold off if your not going to install till spring......New technology in control boxes could happen soon.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got quoted 10 grand last week for a MCX turbo supply and install for a Nytro - sounded way hight to me - is that accurate?

These kits should have been cheaper over the last year with high Canadian dollar but I guess the old price setting saying is true - charge what the market will bear!

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds high.

I have found i can get the mc-xpress kit with boost gauge for around 6400 gst included. That doesn't include clutching though which would add another 400 or so. I will be doing my own install, that's the second best thing next to riding it!

EDIT: Did that 10 grand include complete setup? Different drivers, clutching, etc or just the base kit plus install? Still sounds high to me

Last edited:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds high.

I have found i can get the mc-xpress kit with boost gauge for around 6400 gst included. That doesn't include clutching though which would add another 400 or so. I will be doing my own install, that's the second best thing next to riding it!

EDIT: Did that 10 grand include complete setup? Different drivers, clutching, etc or just the base kit plus install? Still sounds high to me

It was E&S in the Fort - probably full meal deal. I saw another post that Devil paid around $10k for his. That still seems high for just adding drivers and clutching. where is the best deals on these things coming from????

WRK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy just got a quote from boondocker on the m8 race gas kit, 8200 all in, I just about chit a bird!!!

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10,000 installed is right on the money. The headshim almost take 10 hours. I would be a little leary about doing the headshim myself unless you have intimate details. If you break a cam bearing support which is probably worth 20.00 you will be buying a complete head for 1700.00. I would suggest taking the motor out and getting a dealer to do the headshim. It is doable by yourself but....

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10,000 installed is right on the money. The headshim almost take 10 hours. I would be a little leary about doing the headshim myself unless you have intimate details. If you break a cam bearing support which is probably worth 20.00 you will be buying a complete head for 1700.00. I would suggest taking the motor out and getting a dealer to do the headshim. It is doable by yourself but....

I look at it differently. if you have basic mechanical knowledge, a service manual and the proper tools it can easily be done.

I can't speak for everyone but there is no greater satisfaction than doing something like this myself.

when I built my turbo civic engine I had never had a honda in line apart and I almost had more fun doing the research,planning and building more than driving it after

to me its just not about saving money but that is definitely one of the pluses

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
That sounds high.

where are you getting clutching done for 400?

heavy hitters are 350 ~ 400 alone......

Top Bottom