what vehicle

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey looking on some input on a vehical...parents want it to be a smaller v6 truck...like a ranger or tacoma...

what would be the better truck out of the Ford Ranger, Toyota tacoma, GMC colarado or w.e or the chevy canyon...please help haha...

i liek the tacoma but paretns say they are to much money to fix...this true?...

they are buying so price dont much matter...thanks any input appreciated..
Ricky

Last edited by a moderator:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: what vehical

IMHO, the Tacoma may be pricey to repair, but will likely spend a lot less time in shop than the others and thus be cheaper over it's life cycle.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a 99 Tacoma TRD, bought it with 150,000k on the odometer and the only thing it's been in the shop for was tires. Now 240,000k

I also have a 2005 GMC Duramax and I've lost track of the times it's been in the shop.Bought with 90,000k, now 130,00k

The down side of the Toyota is the fuel mileage. Considering the Duramax on the highway is equal to the Toyota.

Tacoma is for sale

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have a friend thats got a ranger it was really reliable and got good gas mileage when it was stock.
I Don't recommend putting 33s and a 6 inches of lift on it though killed the gas milage and he ripped out the rear axles.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought an 07 Ranger Level 2 last year. It has been a real good truck. Has 31000 km on it. Looked at the Tacoma before I bought the Ford. Could not believe Toyota wanted 42000 dollars for it and I would have to pay 2000 extra for the posi rearend. I know Toyotas are good, but 44k.??? Got the Ranger for 25000, with everything I wanted. 31-10.50-15's, posi, Bilsteins, 6 stacker, leather, bed extender, and more. So far 23 mpg and the old Summit fits level between the wheel wells. Have not had one problem with the truck. No sorry, it has a stone chip in the windshield.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I love my 2007 tacoma, when I first bought it. At first I just had a dirt bike, then I bought a sled and it doesn't fit between the wheel wells. So you will need a trailer or build a wooden sled bed for the box if you buy one. For the same price of a tacoma you can buy a f-150. I think you should just go straight for a full size truck. Or you can buy my tacoma.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I love my 2007 tacoma, when I first bought it. At first I just had a dirt bike, then I bought a sled and it doesn't fit between the wheel wells. So you will need a trailer or build a wooden sled bed for the box if you buy one. For the same price of a tacoma you can buy a f-150. I think you should just go straight for a full size truck. Or you can buy my tacoma.

how much for the tacoma?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If it was price, hauling, reliability you are shopping for I'd look at an '03 Cummins. Better mileage than all the mini trucks, capacity to haul a deck, etc.

I had a '92 Ranger before the truck I have now and it was a good truck for me. Only normal maintenance I owned it from 180k to 280. 2wd.

The toyotas are a nice truck but you can probably get a same year Dmax for the same coin.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You will only really know when you test drive them, however my vote is for the Tacoma hands down.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Tacoma....

You'll spend more time playing on your Toys than fixing your truck!! Oh, AND not to mention the resale value. The Toyota will hold its value MUCH better than the GM, Dodge or Ford.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my Ranger this spring. It was my first vehicle, had it for almost 5 yrs, was a 99 V6 4.0L 4X4 offroad. It was terrible on gas, about the same as my 5.7L Hemi. Just a heads up, all the V6's really aren't too good on gas, not enough to justify it. A buddy has a Tacoma and says it's not very good on gas, he wouldn't buy one again. If you have any toys at all to haul, they barely fit in the box. Tell your parents to look at a used truck such as a 03-06 1/2 ton Chevy or maybe a ford. Good luck
I don't care for the overpriced import trucks...

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy an Older/Cheap Truck to Haul ur toys, and buy a cheap car to save money on gas. U insure the Car, ur parents insure the Truck and put u as a casual driver. you get the best of both worlds, have a truck to haul ur toys when u need it, and a car to get u around, save money on gas. The amount of money u save driving the car will pay to insure the trucks.

Save ur money and buy more toys.

Or save to buy a house with a garage to fill with toys.

People spend way to much money on gas/insurance/vehicle payments, everyone is so conscious of there vehicle status.

I have an 04 Dodge Ram for when we get really bad roads/snow fall, and I drive the 97 Sunfire when I can to save money on gas. Im 19 years old.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info...ill have to tlak to my parents about a 1/2 ton...the roads i drive on a car is not suitable...any time of the year...even if its the nicest weather ever

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a tacoma for 2 yrs it was a 4x4 SR5 never had a problem the reason why i sold it wanted bigger truck + plus my little girl is getting taller hehe other than that they have lots of power and really good truck.:cool:

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to the tacomas is there anything that you can do to them for after marcket stuff? exhaust, rims tires lifts? thinking if i got one 4" lift 18'20" rims? all terrain tires?

what would that do to the mialage?

Top Bottom