What to look for?

AC4life

Reaction score
Hey there. Im planning on buying my first wakeboard boat this fall. Im looking at buyin used but no older then an '08. Looking for a loaded v-drive in the 40,000-45,000 $
range. Just wondering what everyones opinions are on whats the best out there, ups/downs of different makes and what not. Also wondering how many hours a person would consider ALOT of hours for that year/price range. Boat will be primarily used for wakeboarding and surfing, but also for the odd slalom run. Any info/input would be great. Thanks. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well first unless you are planning on mainly using it as a tow boat and you are really good a wake boarding or are planning on getting really good they are a waist of money. Mainly because they are slow and they burn a ton of fuel. I would look more into a nice inboard and put a tower on it and your getting a way more use able boat, better on fuel, can go faster to get places on a larger lake, and the wake is still decent. I see a ton of wake board boats and guys never boarding that are spending $200-300 a weekend on gas just drinking and when some one boards they just can do a couple grabs and such and only jump the wake heel side because they produce a wake that's way to big for beginners or intermediate boarders.

But if you still want one a guy at works got a moomba with a 350 in it, he only uses it for boarding, can do a lot of tricks and he loves it and he paid around what you want to pay.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Im planning on buying my first wakeboard boat this fall. Im looking at buyin used but no older then an '08. Looking for a loaded v-drive in the 40,000-45,000 $
range. Just wondering what everyones opinions are on whats the best out there, ups/downs of different makes and what not. Also wondering how many hours a person would consider ALOT of hours for that year/price range. Boat will be primarily used for wakeboarding and surfing, but also for the odd slalom run. Any info/input would be great. Thanks. :beer::beer::beer::beer:
I am starting to look for the same thing.. Little hard to find something in that price range from what I have seen so far :-(

If you are interested I have a 2008 H210 Frenzy for sale. I will be posting it in the classifieds later tonight with some pics. Also on Kijiji later tonight. We have used it for wake boarding and skiing and it works really well. Would keep it but my wife wants a new boat. Go figure that she is the one thats wants a new one. LOL

Last edited:

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well first unless you are planning on mainly using it as a tow boat and you are really good a wake boarding or are planning on getting really good they are a waist of money. Mainly because they are slow and they burn a ton of fuel. I would look more into a nice inboard and put a tower on it and your getting a way more use able boat, better on fuel, can go faster to get places on a larger lake, and the wake is still decent. I see a ton of wake board boats and guys never boarding that are spending $200-300 a weekend on gas just drinking and when some one boards they just can do a couple grabs and such and only jump the wake heel side because they produce a wake that's way to big for beginners or intermediate boarders.

But if you still want one a guy at works got a moomba with a 350 in it, he only uses it for boarding, can do a lot of tricks and he loves it and he paid around what you want to pay.

I dis-agree but thats my opinion.....We love our Malibu.....If you want to surf you won't be doing it on an I/O.......or at least safely. I've seen some idiots. Even a decent I/O will run a few bucks then you have to buy all the accessories to go with it like cruise, ballast, tower etc. Im usually not in a monster hurry when i'm at the lake and beside our swamps here don't require 60mph speeds to get across. Although when in BC it would be nice when on bigger water. If on a budget i suggest an older premium towboat or now alot of company's are making the affordable line like the Axis or Moombas. Does matter what you buy as long as your enjoying your time at the lake.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moomba outback V, it's the best bang for the buck all around, capable boat, length avoids any lake restrictions, up to 1200lb ballast depending on options, I have a bayliner and it works for pulling but after one ride behind a real boat you will be hooked. I have friends with malibu, mastercraft, tige boats etc and the moomba is my favorite, I have yet to try surfing myself it looks boring to me and although not a pro wakeboarder by any means, most of us still manage to pull backflips, big air, spins etc with the bayliner but it's not even half as fun as a v drive. I wouldn't buy anything with 500+ hours unless you plan on rebuilding the engine and all the drive compnents, especially if it's from sylvan area of the bigger lakes in BC

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a v-drive that you can slalom behind I would suggest a Malibu VTX with the diamond cut hull but you may have to look for a while to find one in your price range. These are great boats for wakeboarding and surfing as well. I have a 2010 VTX and love it. Previously had a ski supreme and would not buy one of those boats again, too many issues with the boat. If a malibu is not in your price range than a moomba would be a good choice for a starter v-drive. They do not have the fit and finish of the malibu but just being on the water is what counts and you can pick up a really nice moomba that definately fits within your budge. Good luck on your search and hope to see you on the water. Oh and definately surfing on an I/O is not a good idea as showtime said, v-drive is the way to go if you plan on surfing. I thought surfing would be boring too but once I tried it it was a blast.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moomba outback V, it's the best bang for the buck all around, capable boat, length avoids any lake restrictions, up to 1200lb ballast depending on options, I have a bayliner and it works for pulling but after one ride behind a real boat you will be hooked. I have friends with malibu, mastercraft, tige boats etc and the moomba is my favorite, I have yet to try surfing myself it looks boring to me and although not a pro wakeboarder by any means, most of us still manage to pull backflips, big air, spins etc with the bayliner but it's not even half as fun as a v drive. I wouldn't buy anything with 500+ hours unless you plan on rebuilding the engine and all the drive compnents, especially if it's from sylvan area of the bigger lakes in BC

I agree Moomba Outback V is a tonne of boat for the money you can get brand new 2011 for $45G pretty sure or go a bit bigger to slightly used Moomba Mobius LSV (same hull,engine as Supra Launch) for $45G,, I owned a Moomba outback DD and it was flawless now I have a Supra and its been flawless but the wakesetter is a beatiful boat but comes with a small premium, those would be my 2 picks

AC4life

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I am by no means a "pro" wakeboarder, but im also not a beginner. I want a v-drive with all the goodies so that i can get better and have options when i need them. I also love surfing and as a few of you pointed out..does not happen with an inboard.
I have been looking at a couple of the Moomba models, but was not sure how the quality of these boats was. I see alot of them out on the lake, but have never actually talked to an owner first hand. From the sound of a few of your replys tho, they are a solid boat for a reasonable price.
I have been looking for one south of the boarder as well on the website www.onlyinboards.com. Just wondering if thats a good route to go, or if it makes more sense to buy here in canada. It would be nice to start a relationship with a dealer thats forsure, but i plan on buying used so might not make a big difference.

ktownsumx

Reaction score
Enzo 22'

Thanks for all the input! I am by no means a "pro" wakeboarder, but im also not a beginner. I want a v-drive with all the goodies so that i can get better and have options when i need them. I also love surfing and as a few of you pointed out..does not happen with an inboard.
I have been looking at a couple of the Moomba models, but was not sure how the quality of these boats was. I see alot of them out on the lake, but have never actually talked to an owner first hand. From the sound of a few of your replys tho, they are a solid boat for a reasonable price.
I have been looking for one south of the boarder as well on the website www.onlyinboards.com. Just wondering if thats a good route to go, or if it makes more sense to buy here in canada. It would be nice to start a relationship with a dealer thats forsure, but i plan on buying used so might not make a big difference.

Hey AC4life

Check out the Centurian Enzo 22', should be in your price for a used one. I bought a 2008 new and have only good things to say. Only changed 2 fuses and regular servicing and thats it. Kicks off a huge wake, but have also had beginners behind getting up for the first time. you can load the ballast for surfing, or wake board the day away. I spend about $ 30 a day in gas, as long as your not pulling kids on the tube then price goes up. Seats 12 and had tons of storage and all the options, killer stereo. If your in the Okanagan this summer let me know and we can hit the lake. Let me know if you have any questions.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They are a great boat.....the mooba, Mobius, Supra is all the same manufacturer which uses the same hull, i believe, the difference is the options you put in them kinda similar to a Chev LT, SLT,LTZ.

Lanko

Reaction score
For the price point you are looking at I would probably recommend the Moomba LSV, I think bang for your buck they are probably the least expensive manufacturer plus the added bonus of local dealership ie. Martin Motorsports. I have been looking at buying a v-drive boat for about the past 2 years, there are a few online sources I looked at: onlyinboards.com, boattrader.com and a good one with a lot of boats in Western Canada is called boatverse.com. This summer I ended up buying a direct drive instead of a v-drive mainly due to the fact that a smoking deal fell into my lap and I came to the realization a $40,000 boat might be a little out of my price range mainly due to usage. I ended up getting a SVFARA, ya I know weird name but they are a division of Campion made in Kelowna. You don't hear of them very often but from what I have experienced and read they make a very good quality boat for a reasonable price. If you go on boatverse there are quit a few of them for sale in Calgary and the BC interior for pricing right in your ballpark, the SV2 and SV3 are the v-drives in the SVFARA line. Good luck with your search.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the price point you are looking at I would probably recommend the Moomba LSV, I think bang for your buck they are probably the least expensive manufacturer plus the added bonus of local dealership ie. Martin Motorsports. I have been looking at buying a v-drive boat for about the past 2 years, there are a few online sources I looked at: onlyinboards.com, boattrader.com and a good one with a lot of boats in Western Canada is called boatverse.com. This summer I ended up buying a direct drive instead of a v-drive mainly due to the fact that a smoking deal fell into my lap and I came to the realization a $40,000 boat might be a little out of my price range mainly due to usage. I ended up getting a SVFARA, ya I know weird name but they are a division of Campion made in Kelowna. You don't hear of them very often but from what I have experienced and read they make a very good quality boat for a reasonable price. If you go on boatverse there are quit a few of them for sale in Calgary and the BC interior for pricing right in your ballpark, the SV2 and SV3 are the v-drives in the SVFARA line. Good luck with your search.

Im not knocking Svfara but pretty sure they stopped making these in 2010? thats the reason for good value now,,, again they are all good but they are not being made any longer most boats use saimilar components so really its only the haul and finishing thats any different.

re sale may be a bit tuffer as the name is not well known

they use Merc scorpion engine corect?

Lanko

Reaction score
Im not knocking Svfara but pretty sure they stopped making these in 2010? thats the reason for good value now,,, again they are all good but they are not being made any longer most boats use saimilar components so really its only the haul and finishing thats any different.

re sale may be a bit tuffer as the name is not well known

they use Merc scorpion engine corect?

Hey Johni, I don't know a ton about the company other than what I said in my previous post, as far as I know they have 2011 models for sale at Hyperactive in Cowtown, maybe this will be there last model year. Yes they do have the Merc scorpion engine and so far so good in my boat. I do agree that re-sale may be a problem due to the fact they are not a very well known company, but I also think that an educated buyer who knows quality, fit and finish would realize that these boats are a very well made product maybe not Mastercraft or Malibu but I think very comparable to the Supra, Tige and Moomba's. Product support could become a problem agreed, but like you said components, motor, etc. are ususaly pretty similar. Just trying to give another option, I think for $40,000 and newer than 2008 you are pretty hard pressed to find a "loaded" v-drive that doesn't have 500 hours put on by a wake or waterski school. Cheers

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI, Wizard Lake Marine has a 2006 Malibu v-drive sunscape for 39,900. I know you don't want to go older than an 08 but for a malibu that fits into your price range that would be a great boat. Not sure on how many hours but they are great to deal with and it might be worth a phone call and trip to Calmar to have a look. Pictures of the boat are on their website and it looks good.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Johni, I don't know a ton about the company other than what I said in my previous post, as far as I know they have 2011 models for sale at Hyperactive in Cowtown, maybe this will be there last model year. Yes they do have the Merc scorpion engine and so far so good in my boat. I do agree that re-sale may be a problem due to the fact they are not a very well known company, but I also think that an educated buyer who knows quality, fit and finish would realize that these boats are a very well made product maybe not Mastercraft or Malibu but I think very comparable to the Supra, Tige and Moomba's. Product support could become a problem agreed, but like you said components, motor, etc. are ususaly pretty similar. Just trying to give another option, I think for $40,000 and newer than 2008 you are pretty hard pressed to find a "loaded" v-drive that doesn't have 500 hours put on by a wake or waterski school. Cheers

I don't know jack about these boats but i was talking to a rep at the boat and sportsman show and apparently they made a tow boat available with an electric DC motor....was kinda cool.

ya Lanko I agree good value,, on their site the only list 2010's but yes they are nice...

I have my 06 Supra 22ssv listed right now,, 245 hours sick boat if anyone interested upgraded to the biggest ballast available 2 bags 1100lbs each in the rear with 1350 plbs in the middle

love this thing but it has to go

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-LUXURY-TOW-BOAT-LOW-HOURS-W0QQAdIdZ300084143

JT...nice ride....whats the deal? What are you gonna replace it with?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Showtime; JT...nice ride....whats the deal? What are you gonna replace it with?[/QUOTE said:
a baby lol,,, hahaha I am not getting out enough and I have a few buds with boats to keep me riding a bit,,,, now if I see a good deal this winter maybe grab another but probably not unless a good deal for a year or 2.......

I will probably stay in the Moomba/ Supra family as both boats have treated me great and perform awesome for the money,,, but I do love wakesetters my bud has one they just cost a bit more... again Im all about good deals and flipping so it comes down to the numbers but its much easier to sell a used boat in the low to mid $30's then in high $40's so we will see.

I am sad to say good bye thats for sure I love that Supra and it works great.....

hows your Bu? my bud added the 1100lb bag in the rear above the stock ballast on his wakesetter,,, wow what a surf wake now... love that wake

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a baby lol,,, hahaha I am not getting out enough and I have a few buds with boats to keep me riding a bit,,,, now if I see a good deal this winter maybe grab another but probably not unless a good deal for a year or 2.......

I will probably stay in the Moomba/ Supra family as both boats have treated me great and perform awesome for the money,,, but I do love wakesetters my bud has one they just cost a bit more... again Im all about good deals and flipping so it comes down to the numbers but its much easier to sell a used boat in the low to mid $30's then in high $40's so we will see.

I am sad to say good bye thats for sure I love that Supra and it works great.....

hows your Bu? my bud added the 1100lb bag in the rear above the stock ballast on his wakesetter,,, wow what a surf wake now... love that wake

Sucks your selling but sounds like you'll still be hittin the water which is good.

I absolutely love my Bu, just like you said with your Supra this is my second BU and both have been flawless. 1000lbs bag???? does that even fit with the lid closed??? I think i may have to look at buying a 750 for the rear as my crew seems to be getting smaller.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Sucks your selling but sounds like you'll still be hittin the water which is good.

I absolutely love my Bu, just like you said with your Supra this is my second BU and both have been flawless. 1000lbs bag???? does that even fit with the lid closed??? I think i may have to look at buying a 750 for the rear as my crew seems to be getting smaller.

Been drinkin as much beer as possible,trying to put on some w8!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

haha ya the bag is rated at 1100lbs in my boat my guess is 900-1000lbs probably then the lid pops, I think the bu is just a bit smaller because of hard tank below so maybe 800-900 wich is better then 750:d and the price is like $20 bucks more for the 1100lbs bag best upgrade even if ya grab one

Top Bottom