what to look for when buying new truck?

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
title says it all....what should i look for when buying a new truck?

i am looking at an 04 dodge 1500 4x4 regular cab. around 94000 km has alot of money into it and is askinh 17000

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
What to look for in a truck?
Well first and foremost make sure it does/pulls what you want it to and not just barely. ie if its rated for 10000lbs pulling you shouldn't be pulling any more than 7000lbs.

If it does what you want and you like it spend the couple of hundred bucks and get it checked out by a shop of your choice. That year I'd be looking at tranny, front end, brakes and hoses. You get the picture. If the seller resists I would walk!
Better to spent a few hundy now than thousands later! :beer::):beer:

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont need to pull anything just a truck..maybe some farm stuff but nothing big..

how can you tell if the tranny needs work when driving it?

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive driven work trucks into the ground and you can feel front end, tranny and transfer case in the petals and steering wheel. another thing if buying used is to see if the guy kept a service record. all oil changes, every part change, etc.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a little trick is to pull out the dip stick for the tranny oil and smell it. if it smells burned that is usually not a good sign.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i am looking at an 04 dodge 1500 4x4 regular cab. around 94000 km has alot of money into it and is askinh 17000[/QUOTE

Where does he have all the money into it, Tires, rims, lift, stereo. It seems a bit steep to me for a regular cab gas jobby. And yes Dodges are hard on tranny's. Have had to replace five out of six trannys in my dodges. Look around there should be lots of deals coming up with the "recession' here. Another place to look is Repo.com - Online classifieds for repossessed cars, trucks, vans, SUVs and other vehicle repos :d

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the truck has rims,tires, head lights, tail lights, hood, throttle body spacer dual exhaust, billet grill, leather heated interior, infinity sound system...there is some missing im sure....its real nice

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its always gamble, could be good or bad:eek:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i am looking at an 04 dodge 1500 4x4 regular cab. around 94000 km has alot of money into it and is askinh 17000
That truck is around 13,500.00 to 14,000.00 max. it is a Dodge and only a reg. cab

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
so its pretty much a laramie sport edition

14000 at the most

coulde got one 2months ago same model for 12thousand

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i forgot to mention it is like AWD but also 4hi and 4lo brand new nitto mudgrapplers with 20" aftermarket rims

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score

You should spend the money and get a full inspection done at a good garage, it is well worth the money. The transmissions in these trucks are very tough, so it eally should not be a problem.
Ask for service records. That truck should have had at least one complete driveline service by now, and is ready for the second.
If it is not the Hemi then I would pass on it. The 4.7 is not a bad motor but underpowered for a full size truck in my opinion, and there is no fuel savings with it.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should spend the money and get a full inspection done at a good garage, it is well worth the money. The transmissions in these trucks are very tough, so it eally should not be a problem.
Ask for service records. That truck should have had at least one complete driveline service by now, and is ready for the second.
If it is not the Hemi then I would pass on it. The 4.7 is not a bad motor but underpowered for a full size truck in my opinion, and there is no fuel savings with it.

it has a hemi

Top Bottom