WHAT TO LEAVE BEHIND: A few thoughts after our unplanned night out.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
Last Monday night due to some mechanical issues and poor visibility we ended up staying on the Mountain. I figured I would share some of our personal flaws and after thoughts. Hopefully it will help someone who has overlooked or forgotten to take the time to think it through. First off I will say that what information you leave at home is just as valuable as what supplies you bring to the mountain. We were fully prepared with 2 gps units, frs radios, abs/snowpulse bags, beacons, probes, emergency gear, saws, etc. But none of this helps the people you leave at home who take it upon themselves to assure that everything is done in their power to assist you out of the backcountry when you don't return as planned. I know it it discussed often on what to bring with you. So I figure I'll start a thread on what to leave behind

First off be sure that everyone's family and significant others have contact information for all the other riders contacts. IE. Your wife has your friends wife's number and everyone has a way to contact and update each other in the event of an emergency.

Leave a detailed list of what you have for back country gear. When SAR gets a call it is very helpful if they know what you have for equipment. IE. FRS radio, SPOT beacon, GPS, etc.

Include on your sheet a description of your snowmobile clothes and sled. This is also useful information.

The obvious is to leave a Plan of where you are heading in Detail. Not just REVY lol.

We used or GPS to get out the following morning when we had some visibility. Take the time to familiarize yourself with exactly how the compass works on your particular model. On the Rino when we put it in "Pan Map" the compass swings around and makes you think your facing the wrong direction. Didn't take long to figure that out but something to take note of.

Have a safe season:beer::beer:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to add to the information for people at home:

• Staging Area info
  • Vehicle Info - make, model, license plate
  • Hotel info so they don't have to look it up

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All very good ideas. Something I don;t do, but sure as hell am going to start doing.

:beer:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post and some points to consider for sure. One question, and I mean this in a serious manner, would a Spot personal tracker have helped your situation? I purchased one this year and this sounds like a perfect situation where the Spot would have been helpful. Could have sent a message home that you were okay or in need of assistance along with your exact location. What are your thoughts? :beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good post and some points to consider for sure. One question, and I mean this in a serious manner, would a Spot personal tracker have helped your situation? I purchased one this year and this sounds like a perfect situation where the Spot would have been helpful. Could have sent a message home that you were okay or in need of assistance along with your exact location. What are your thoughts? :beer:

I was thinking along the same lines. If I am overdue and send an Okay message my wife is relieved. It would be up to her whether she sends out some help later on, but I try to tell her that if we need help it is just about 911 serious. Communication is important prior to leaving and a good debriefing after an incident should be accomplished.:beer:

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
I had a spot with me and was sending "ok" signals. They were being sent but my girlfriends phone was not recieving them. We are not sure whether or not it was because she was on the phone or what the reason was. There have been numerous times where I have txt her from my cell and she doesn't recieve it. I also had msgs sending to another contacts email but she was unaware of the scenario so never thought to look at her email. Needless to say I have updated all my spot contact info and briefed everbody on the updates. But the answer is YES spot should have been the perfect answer to a situation like this!

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Besure to let the front desk at your hotel or place that you are staying know where you plan on going and when you think that you will be back at least someone will have an idea which way you went.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a spot with me and was sending "ok" signals. They were being sent but my girlfriends phone was not recieving them. We are not sure whether or not it was because she was on the phone or what the reason was. There have been numerous times where I have txt her from my cell and she doesn't recieve it. I also had msgs sending to another contacts email but she was unaware of the scenario so never thought to look at her email. Needless to say I have updated all my spot contact info and briefed everbody on the updates. But the answer is YES spot should have been the perfect answer to a situation like this!

So does the Spot only send a message to one recipient, or can you program more than one person or contact to receive your sent messages? Sorry for the question, not trying to hi-jack the thread but good stuff to know here.:beer:

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
So does the Spot only send a message to one recipient, or can you program more than one person or contact to receive your sent messages? Sorry for the question, not trying to hi-jack the thread but good stuff to know here.:beer:

You can send to multiple people txt and email. You also get to put different people for your "ok" messages than your "send help'" messages:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless it has changed, SPOT allows you 10 contacts for your messages. a combination of email addresses or SMS text contacts

Top Bottom