What to do with race gas in the summer?

marchuk

Reaction score
i got a barrel of vp 111 about half full from this season. just wondering if i seal it back up will it still be good for next winter read a couple threads on diffrents sites cant get a straight answer

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It will go bad.... I used to use it up in my mower, chainsaw, weed wacker, pressure washer or what ever??? I would also sell it cheap cheap to anyone who was still riding.

turbo man 21

Reaction score
marchuk if you seal it up good and store in in a really cool place were there is no sun and it stays pretty cool it will last for a year I have done that with mine over the years

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys race in the summer....we have two 1/8 mile events booked at our new track here alone. Drop a little off the purchase price, and it will sell easily enough. Start fresh in the fall.

Last edited:

turbo man 21

Reaction score
on a 45gal drum if sealed and in cool play one year ... Jordon from vp has told me that for years 5 gal cans 2 months because the way they seal they leak through the plastic spout so if you have 5 gal jugs us them up

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time you open the barrel and you get that 'whoosh' of vapour coming out you are losing some of the lite ends from the mix. A tight seal is important but as the barrel empties you get more and more air space for these gases to separate into. They make setups to put a nitrogen blanket (inert gas under slight pressure) in the barrel and this keeps the fuel from separating and going 'stale'.

Jim at Dynotech had a good write-up about this years ago.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i over bought last year and did what most guys seem to be doing burning it in everything else with a gas motor.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use mine in my 911 turbo. It has a 3.4 big bore with raised compression to 8.7 to 1 and 14 lbs of boost. It loves high octane.

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time you open the barrel and you get that 'whoosh' of vapour coming out you are losing some of the lite ends from the mix. A tight seal is important but as the barrel empties you get more and more air space for these gases to separate into. They make setups to put a nitrogen blanket (inert gas under slight pressure) in the barrel and this keeps the fuel from separating and going 'stale'.

Jim at Dynotech had a good write-up about this years ago.

That's the type of set up I have , dip tube goes to the bottom of he barrel , just open the fuel out valve and fill she up , never have to open the barrel up

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could try Edmonton Motorcycle Roadracing Association and see if any of the road racers would be interested in taking the remains off your hands. A lot of the guys are running tunes nowadays and this year they will be chasing HP as they are running big track out at Castrol.

Top Bottom