What to buy???.

Brad King

Reaction score
Well guy's here it is. This is the year for me to upgrade, but to what?. 2007 Summit X machines that you don't know if the engine is going to last!, or a 2008 Summit X with all the first year issues. Or dare to say 08-09 M8 Arctic Cat. Or does a guy suck it up and buy brand new. Even then from all the reviews I read the new 2010 M8 seems to be the best all around mountian sled, and I have always been a Summit owner. If this was your year to upgrade, What would you pick??.

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's whatever you prefer. I am a total Skidoo nut, and wouldn't change for nothing, unless maybe I want to have a near death experience and go for the Turbo apex... I can't believe I just said that, it's hard enough sometimes getting my 08 Summit X out when I get that stuck, but to add another 200 lbs onto my ride!!! There isn't many close to stock sleds out there that can climb higher than me!! But that's just my 2 cents!!!:twocents::devildancing::devildancing:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Summit X, and it has treated me well. I changed the clutching right away (added more weight in primary and changed primary spring), and put a vent kit in (Mountain Magic 5 piece - $100), ripped out all foam, and then got Martin Motorsports to put a 20 tooth top sprocket in (instead of the 21). With those 4 changes, it made a huge difference with the amount of heat under the hood, and the low speed/rpm behavior of the sled. Other things that I did were an MBRP can, Ski-doo riser bag w/heater (there is no storage whatsoever on the sled), tunnel stiffeners, rear footrests, skid plate, shock covers, and a total makover of the hood/panels. I would recommend this sled over the Arctic Cat for a couple of reasons. The only way you are getting electronic reverse on a Cat is by buying an 09 or 10, and I was told that the 09's weren't quite perfected yet. As well, you will need to buy a controller if you start modding heavily with the Arctic Cat, as it is fuel injected. I have also heard that the Arctic Cats are pigs on fuel. The only way that I would buy an Arctic Cat is if I was planning to do a 2 Stroke Turbo. If you are going to look at an 08 Ski-doo, make sure it has the Powdermax track on it, not the Challenger Lite. If you do the basic changes that I listed above, you will not go through belts, and you will have a reliable, fun sled that will last you for years. Just my 2cents.

cattamer

Reaction score
Well guy's here it is. This is the year for me to upgrade, but to what?. 2007 Summit X machines that you don't know if the engine is going to last!, or a 2008 Summit X with all the first year issues. Or dare to say 08-09 M8 Arctic Cat. Or does a guy suck it up and buy brand new. Even then from all the reviews I read the new 2010 M8 seems to be the best all around mountian sled, and I have always been a Summit owner. If this was your year to upgrade, What would you pick??.

2009 M8 143hp 2010 M8 160+ hp on a stock sled break down and buy the new 2010 M8 and you wont be dissappointed will out climb the M1000

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I got an 08 XP with all the upgrades, changed the clutch and put a can in as well. No heat problems to date cooks up stuff in the muff pot good no complaints!!

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 2008 had some issues, but have been addressed by recals and what have you. if you can get a hold of a 2009 XP, if you want to go Ski-Doo. the 09 800 has a bigger crank, and bottom end. It might just hold up to a bit more if you decide to mod the engine a fair amount. Either way, M series or XP, you will be happy. I know some guys also in our group have the 2007 Rev's and they run well, the engines and such were strong, but i see what you're saying on the crank issue. the ones in our group have not had any of those issues with over 1700 miles on them to date.

cattamer

Reaction score
2009 M8 143hp 2010 M8 160+ hp on a stock sled break down and buy the new 2010 M8 and you wont be dissappointed will out climb the M1000

also if your looking at doo were taking in on friday a 2009 summit x 800 only 300 - 400 miles on it if interested you can contact me at 780-672-9136 and ask for Dennis

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well guy's here it is. This is the year for me to upgrade, but to what?. 2007 summit x machines that you don't know if the engine is going to last!, or a 2008 summit x with all the first year issues. Or dare to say 08-09 m8 arctic cat. Or does a guy suck it up and buy brand new. Even then from all the reviews i read the new 2010 m8 seems to be the best all around mountian sled, and i have always been a summit owner. If this was your year to upgrade, what would you pick??.

how about a new zero mile 2007 m8 141 green 8500.00 plus tax full warranty

just assembled 2 months ago, it was a carry over from arctic cat

let me know

terry

Top Bottom