What new iron em i worthy of?

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't you just have a thread started that said you were done for the season??

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 etechs in our group popped with under 2000km all stock have other friends who have 7000km no issues its hit and miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, i've heard lots of good things on the e-tech.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't you just have a thread started that said you were done for the season??

Waiting for surgery, but plan to be in the saddle in the spring. Looking into replacing my aging pos for a new pos. LOL
Got some good opinions but nothing from Polaris guys and not much from Doo guy's. Got a bit of sour grapes though

Clarify, i mean i HOPE to be in the saddle. Either way i need to replace the sled.

Last edited:

Akpowderhound

Reaction score
Buy what ever sled YOU want.
i know the brand I currently prefer. They don't pay me to bring in new customers, I not gonna sit here and tell you they are the best and everything else is garbage.
Since you are laid up, get to reading and make a fair judgment choice on what one fits you best.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ended picking up a 850x from a buddy that decided he didn't want to take it, He had opted for the 2.5 track instead of the 3 inch. I still have my T3 174 so I kinda thought no biggie I'll try the smaller track???? Long story short... Huge mistake!
im not sure if it's the track or what, granted the motor still has some breakin too go but I'm not blown away or anything by the 850. We were among the first few guys into Salmon last weekend and I was buried so many times in places where I know the 174 would have walked through!!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted to refrain from posting but I just can't lol

Could you imagine if you got into a new G4 and it wasn't the sled you wanted it to be for whatever reason? You have been down that path before and at this point of your life what is going to make you happier? A sled you already know or something new to you that you will need to relearn?

I know little of the new Yamahas and 4s Cats but one thing is for sure is you have had faith in yours for a long time. Stick with clutches you know, motors you are familiar with and get into an updated the chassis.

I can tell you I enjoy my Pro and the Axys is even better but what suits me doesn't suit you. Yeah yeah the same guys will tell you they are fragile but I know more than enough people who ride the snot out of them 5-6 days a week and if they aren't breaking stuff it's not an issue. A few glue issues 4 years ago follows them around like tranny issues on Dodges. People forget the issues Doo had with the SDI which you have been through, the track issues with the powder lite, crank issues with the XRS, belt eating issues and drive shaft issues with the first year XP, and is the E-tec bullet proof? No. I don't ride with anyone who hasn't exceeded crank runout in 4000-5000km and you know who they are.

This will be the year potential Axys motor issues show up as guys get higher mileage on their 2016's. lots of guys ran them up last year but the average rider hasn't. The G4 is still an unknown. I am sure BRP put all the r&d they possibly could into it but there is a big difference from 10-20 prototypes and demos running around for a few months and a 1000 sleds on the snow.

The only thing true is they are all good in their own way. One will almost always be lighter than the next, one will almost always make more power, one will be more reliable, one will be cheaper, and so on. Pick whatever suits you best and either live with it or sell it and buy something different.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted to refrain from posting but I just can't lol

Could you imagine if you got into a new G4 and it wasn't the sled you wanted it to be for whatever reason? You have been down that path before and at this point of your life what is going to make you happier? A sled you already know or something new to you that you will need to relearn?

I know little of the new Yamahas and 4s Cats but one thing is for sure is you have had faith in yours for a long time. Stick with clutches you know, motors you are familiar with and get into an updated the chassis.

I can tell you I enjoy my Pro and the Axys is even better but what suits me doesn't suit you. Yeah yeah the same guys will tell you they are fragile but I know more than enough people who ride the snot out of them 5-6 days a week and if they aren't breaking stuff it's not an issue. A few glue issues 4 years ago follows them around like tranny issues on Dodges. People forget the issues Doo had with the SDI which you have been through, the track issues with the powder lite, crank issues with the XRS, belt eating issues and drive shaft issues with the first year XP, and is the E-tec bullet proof? No. I don't ride with anyone who hasn't exceeded crank runout in 4000-5000km and you know who they are.

This will be the year potential Axys motor issues show up as guys get higher mileage on their 2016's. lots of guys ran them up last year but the average rider hasn't. The G4 is still an unknown. I am sure BRP put all the r&d they possibly could into it but there is a big difference from 10-20 prototypes and demos running around for a few months and a 1000 sleds on the snow.

The only thing true is they are all good in their own way. One will almost always be lighter than the next, one will almost always make more power, one will be more reliable, one will be cheaper, and so on. Pick whatever suits you best and either live with it or sell it and buy something different.

Thanks Danny, that was a nice post.
Whats your opinion of Polaris with boost? I realize its not a 4stroke but as 2stroke's go, will they match a Cat on boost for durability? Do you know?
To be straight here if i go back to a 2stroke, it will be on boost.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they make a mountain version? LOL

when you buy a new sled mods are required for proper operation so sure, you could make it a long track

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Danny, that was a nice post.
Whats your opinion of Polaris with boost? I realize its not a 4stroke but as 2stroke's go, will they match a Cat on boost for durability? Do you know?
To be straight here if i go back to a 2stroke, it will be on boost.

I have not ridden a new boosted Axys. The Liberty 800 has taken boost well for a long time and I don't ride with anyone who has a boosted 2s kitty so I can't comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I was in the mountians this weekend and seen alot of polaris and doo. There were a few Yamahas and cats but the doo and polaris out numbered them yet far. So that should give you a sign in my opinion as to the brands to lay more pereferance to. I seen a few pros that were turbocharged and a a few stock and from what I seen the look to take a beating and climb well. I ride a 155 assault personally and with this being my first time out with it to the mountians in was super happy with how it handled and the power it had.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is officially over, the new base platform will be in my shop next Saturday for its transformation to its new life.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did you get? New sidewinder?

Well after hearing and seeing all the positive feed back from the guys out there. Doing some simple mods and getting better then expected results out of them, it was pretty hard to pass.
This season so far out of all the sleds going through the mod shop the SideWinder has been the star. All the test rider's and customer love this sled.
So yes it is a Sidewinder, it will be delivered to my shop in the crate for a different, simple make over.

Top Bottom