What makes a good leader in the backcountry?

Flicka

Reaction score
Hi All...I am a bit shy so I think this is a good place to ask. I am curious about your thoughts on what characteristics make a good leader in the backcountry. My husband and I have been riding in the mountains for several years and often take turns leading. I know my way around many of the common riding areas and am a pretty competent rider (most days...). This year we will be riding with a larger group and will be splitting the group up and because my husband and I are most experienced I might lead one group and he will lead the other.

By the way, I have taken avalanche training, carry all the necessary equipment, safety gear etc. and do my best to make good and safe decisions.

So, any tips or ideas about what makes a good leader?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if yer shy your already down on the leader rung. ya have to know your area riding inside out, be a good rider, few stucks, and be adventurous. also keep everyone safe

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We like to set up a rendezvous spot if we get separated. Somewhere everyone knows how to get to. Carrying a gps to route yourself back is handy if snow or fog cover tracks and you cant see well.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont ride/own a sled. but when it comes to being a good leader?

i'd say be aware of the lesser skilled riders, but don't let them keep ya from opening'r up when its open.

if you see an obstacle that is going to be a hidden problem, BLOCK IT. the new people aren't going to see it

same goes for something to ride that isn't going to be too intimidating, like a jump or a drop or bowl or a drift or berm.

ride it and clear a path for the train rolling behind you.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riders should know their trail hand signals IMO. Whether you're riding a trail, or using one to get into the mountain riding areas, trail hand signals are a wonderful thing to know especially when travelling with a larger group. Not near enough people use them, but it's sure nice to encounter people that do.
And carry radios...even the cheaper ones are good. You don't need expensive radios that do a bunch of chit, any hand radio will do the job -better than having none. You need to be able to communicate with your group, or at least your sweeper.

m1000db

Reaction score
In my mind a good leader has to be a good communicator and before going to the back country expose the plan. Where to meet if you get separated from the group, stay in the same order in the line up when traveling on the trail, always looking out for the sled behind you. Where you are planning on going, how far it is.. where there is or could be challenging spots, areas to stay away from... and giver

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the leader should know everyones ability, so they dont take some one into something that he/she can not get out of. the leader has to understand not everyone can ride like him/her.....I rode with a leader that thought he was god on a sled.....spent more time digging out the newbies....that day sucked!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the leader should know everyones ability, so they dont take some one into something that he/she can not get out of. the leader has to understand not everyone can ride like him/her.....I rode with a leader that thought he was god on a sled.....spent more time digging out the newbies....that day sucked!

you ridin with maxwell?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was out just before Xmas, with a group of inexprienced riders, my sweeper knew just as much as me, if not more. We took our group into an area that was challenging, but not extreme. We had a few stucks...... ok lot's(including me). But that was to be expected ;)
None the less, if your going to lead, make sure ALL of your riders know how to look back, and as Tam has said know what your hand signals are!!!
Do a beacon check, before you leave the parking lot. Check your gas and oil, water, granola bars, extra clothing(doesn't need to be much) and water proof match's. Hopefully you don't need any of the extra's, but doesn't hurt tooooooo much to pack it in. LOL
If you get turned around on a trail, admitt it. We did twice on our ride, and it helps the less exprienced know that you are human too :D
One last thing, as many many others have said........

Get a 2-way radio, and if you can. Have a good GPS!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a new rider, I'm not much in the leader department, but I know what I want in a leader.

All of the above stuff for sure. Also, make sure you regroup in each new area you go to. Talk to the group and see how they are doing, and explain a plan. See what the new riders are comfortable with riding, and push it a bit further. They won't progress if you don't push them, but they will get frustrated if you push them too far and they just spend the day digging their sled out.
Also, new riders tend to get tired quicker. I'm in good shape, but found myself getting tired earlier than my buddies who sled more often. Fatigue leads to stupid mistakes and either sleds, or worse, people getting broken.

Flicka

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas about the importance of planning, being proactive and communicating with the group before and during the ride. It is clear that seemingly small problems can quickly turn into big problems if not prepared. We've got two radios but the others could get some too and we will have a gps.
Thanks for the replies.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
garmin rhino radio's are the best. ebay can get you some for a few bucks less.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a new rider, I'm not much in the leader department, but I know what I want in a leader.

All of the above stuff for sure. Also, make sure you regroup in each new area you go to. Talk to the group and see how they are doing, and explain a plan. See what the new riders are comfortable with riding, and push it a bit further. They won't progress if you don't push them, but they will get frustrated if you push them too far and they just spend the day digging their sled out.
Also, new riders tend to get tired quicker. I'm in good shape, but found myself getting tired earlier than my buddies who sled more often. Fatigue leads to stupid mistakes and either sleds, or worse, people getting broken.

The tired part is sooooo true. I remember going first trip to the mountains, 2 of them had been going for 5+ years other riding for that long and about 3 years in the mountains. It was like my 5th ride on a sled. I spent 4 days digging, and digging. You have to watch you don't push people to hard, but then again you learn so much faster then if your not pushed at all. I also found riding with women who are new, they learn SO much different and got to be really careful how far you push them. Guys have no problem dropping you into a bowl you HAVE to learn to climb out.....Women on the other hand don't enjoy that so i've been told (not that I know from experience or anything).

Biggest thing IMO especially with women who are new, don't let them think you are getting annoyed helping them get unstuck, no matter how many times in a day. Ya even if it's 5 times in 10 minutes on nearly flat ground.....I remember a early trip in the year, was suppose to be great for the women to learn, 4ft of powder with 2 brand new women riders never been to the mountains. I did more digging that time then my first time in the mountains......Just gotta remember, they are way more tired and frustrated then you could ever be because they are learning.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are leading a group I suggest you have first aid and survival skills, a VERY good knowledge of the area, PATIENCE, good riding skills (if not great), and the ability to read people's riding ability (or lack thereof). If you are taking newbies to the mountains, ride an area where you are bored silly (not challanging to your riding ability). The group will likely be stuck more often then not, a good time to help dig them out and explain how to avoid stucks and how to chose lines. Always have a sweeper with the same riding skill as you (if not better), carry a compass and know how to use it. I've been in a situation where a GPS didn't work, and a storm blew in while digging out a rider from a creek bed. I knew the area well, and still had to use a compass to find markers (flagging tape) to find the way off the mountain. Food for thought...

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
garmin rhino radio's are the best. ebay can get you some for a few bucks less.

While having these on you are great, do not keep them on. It has been proven that having a GPS on and in the vicinity of a Transceiver WILL mess up the Transceiver's ability to function properly. Last month we were doing a range check of everyone's Transceiver, and everyone got a false reading while walking past one of the guy's truck. It has an after-market Garmin GPS installed in it.
Have the GPS/Rinos around if you need them, but don't keep them on. A good two-way radio is what my buddies and I use now.

Top Bottom