tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No body uses fish finders???

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends what you do with your boat. I have a small aluminum and just a clamp on portable that works fine since I fish smaller, woods lakes where i choose spots based on sight and landmarks.. If you fish big, deep lakes GPS would probably be nice to mark where the honeyholes are but in my experience the only thing I really use mine for is for depth.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's also what I want it for is depth too, taken a few props out in Alberta lakes..... Way more things here to fugg a prop here

Yes the gps to mark honey holes would be cool, but not sure how realistic it would help

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's also what I want it for is depth too, taken a few props out in Alberta lakes..... Way more things here to fugg a prop here

Yes the gps to mark honey holes would be cool, but not sure how realistic it would help

Get off your wallet and do the GPS. That way you can remember where the fish were even after too many teas.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get off your wallet and do the GPS. That way you can remember where the fish were even after too many teas.

Lol, to the guy that needs no gps

I'm not that into fishing yet, but might if I like it....

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one for my father last summer with the gps, fish finder and sonar. was tired of his old one which seemed to pick up everything but fish.. anyways my reason for it was the lake he's at has reefs all over and well over a hundred islands so if you don't know your way around you could get into a lot of trouble and if something were to happen to him then at least who ever is with him would stand a chance getting back safely. The sonar is pretty cool as well and it was funny how amazed dad was at how well it worked.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh that's what kind of ideas ect I was looking for.... Thanks gibbs

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
Does a guy need one with gps??? What have others used, and how did it work

There's so many options , jot sure what to do

dynamite best fish finder ever made

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
if i were you, i would buy a decent fish finder with out gps, and just use a portable/handheld gps when on the boat. then the gps isnt locked to the boat. just about any fish finder on the market will give you depth, temp, fish size ect. lots of decent ones for sale used pretty cheap.

that said garmin does make a gps fish finder for like 279$ or something which really isnt bad

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's my beef..... Do I buy the cheapo fish finder with gps or a good fish finder with out

I have a hand gps, older and no topo maps or nothing bit sure would mark spots I guess

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes mike I have

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my last boat, I had a Humminbird Piranha fish finder. It's a $100, black and white screen, temp, and worked great for years.. On my new boat, I did not want to drill holes in a perfectly good boat, so I was just using the digital depth marker gauge that came from the factory. This only showed a depth reading.
So the wife got me a Humminbird 346DI which I'm installing right now. This one has way more options, different better sonar angles, color screen, etc. i think the cost is $250-300 range.
But in the end, they both do the same basic function.......show bottom contours, depth and hopefully mark fish. Like myself, I'll bet most people don't use half the functions that the finder can perform.
They all work on the same principle, just depends on all the little options. Also color, size, etc.
As for the GPS, I've never used one to mark my favorite spot.

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a hummingbird 688 with gps I haven't used it for fishing yet but I have used the gps it works awesome on a river boat you can pretty much come back in pitch black without any issues, I think for in a lake around edmonton the gps would be useless because there is really no need for it. Bigger lakes or rivers it works good, I attached a pic coming back at night using the gps u can see how dark it is, I also shut the light bar off for the picture lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks cool, might need it on a late night

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep if it's dark it's worth it for sure we are going to use it to run from Devon to downtown for the fireworks on Canada day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be doing some boat camping, may need it one night to come back

How about this one is it good??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has a gps in it too