What is this for??

Canadian_bacon

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why there is a gasket and orange gasket maker behind the serial number plate in my 89 Polaris longtrack 440? It looks like it should be a port of some kind but for what is beyond me. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 346

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird? Maybe a access point from a tooling process? Aligning a barring or something of that nature, I'm sure someone has seen this before.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why there is a gasket and orange gasket maker behind the serial number plate in my 89 Polaris longtrack 440? It looks like it should be a port of some kind but for what is beyond me. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

I'm guessing that you bought this used. A little more info and someone might be able to help. To me it looks like someone deleted something and just put a plate over it.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looks like the oil pump was removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canadian_bacon

Reaction score
Yes it's used. Someone thought it might be an oil delete kit and it think he may be right as the previous owner told me it used to have oil injection but they removed it and went to mixed gas.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it's used. Someone thought it might be an oil delete kit and it think he may be right as the previous owner told me it used to have pile injection but they removed it and went to mixed gas.

there you have it. I now recognize that we are looking at the lower half of the crankcase. That's exactly what it is. Oil pump used to mount there.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there you have it. I now recognize that we are looking at the lower half of the crankcase. That's exactly what it is. Oil pump used to mount there.

Yep looks like you nailed it. But something is fishy being the ser # plate was mounted there. Isn't the number stamped instead of riveted?

Canadian_bacon

Reaction score
Actually that is the serial number. I just checked and it matches. Not sure why it's on that plate but I do believe that's where the oil pump used to sit.

Top Bottom