What is the thickness of aluminum used in aftermarket pipes

tonykunz

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas? I need to get a welder to weld them up, but I don't know the thickness of the aluminum. My guess was around 1/8" or is every pipe different

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done down pipes and charge pipes in aluminum, but never the head pipes, while it probably would work for a race machine with a large budget, as they would need to be replaced frequently, I can't see this in any other application.

But stranger things have been shown to me.

Typically most mild steel pipes are made from 16ga

Last edited:

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO you want to stay away from aluminum. they will cause you nothing but grief. as the vibration will keep you in welding repairs . 1/8 AL as compaired to 1/16 steel is not alot of weight difference . steel is faster , cheaper , and less forgiving:beer::beer:

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had my stock skidoo pipe powdercoated.....crashed my sled last yr put a small hole in it the size of a quarter .It isn,t aluminum thats for sure..had it patched no problem.some dude welded it up easy fix

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas? I need to get a welder to weld them up, but I don't know the thickness of the aluminum. My guess was around 1/8" or is every pipe different

Your pipes are probably steel. Thin gauge, like 16 or 18., not anywhere close to 1/8", more like 1/16" at best. Aluminum would melt in a 2 stroke sled application.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My custom "heavy duty pipe" for my propane turbo M8 is out of 16ga steel.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread kind of makes me want to build a set of aluminum pipes just for experimentation. Have them ceramic coated inside and out, and run them just to see how long they would last.

Maybe if I am bored in the spring, I will give it a shot, just to see.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

:confused:thought you new lots about sledding and was mechanically inclined. you will rarely ever see aluminum in pipes, put a magnet to the side of said pipe, if it sticks it's not aluminum. maybe leave the farm repairs and get it done right, may save you a lot of head aches later. :rolleyes:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your pipes are probably steel. Thin gauge, like 16 or 18., not anywhere close to 1/8", more like 1/16" at best. Aluminum would melt in a 2 stroke sled application.

maybe he should use quarter inch steel plate, may give it that rattle and humm sound he is looking for.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe he should use quarter inch steel plate, may give it that rattle and humm sound he is looking for.

hes ridin a polaris it already has the rattle and hum sound installed at the factory. lol jk.:d
gotta agree with modman alum would never make it on a 2 stroke.

Top Bottom