What is a good indicator if the reeds are shot!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok that might asking a little too much,On the way back to the truck the sled started to run crappy around three too five thousand rpms and slowly got worse.Over 5000 it went great but seemed as we got closer to the truck even over 5000 it started to run crappy.Slowly got worse,Im thinking Reeds but have never blown a set and was wondering if Im on the right track.
catmando!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Probably from laying over on it's side to drain gas out for Ron gas sucker :d

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mayby,that big sled of his sure is thirsty!
catmando!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old sled when the reeds went it would not start when warm, had to hold flipper to the bar to keep going when warm, would not idel at all or very well when warm.

The reeds were warped not broke. I believe it was from Mohawke fuel but that is in MO.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was it a Doo? LOL!
catmando!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old sled when the reeds went it would not start when warm, had to hold flipper to the bar to keep going when warm, would not idel at all or very well when warm.

The reeds were warped not broke. I believe it was from Mohawke fuel but that is in MO.

is that bad gas? i never knew that until last year on my way to valemount i was filling up beside a uhaul and it left before me and it was broken down about 10km later...i thought it was odd...about 500 yards my truck started running terrible and shut off. i limped it into the next town and put in petro premium and it ran like a top

anyways..if you get them pulled out there are certain specifications on wear and how much play should be in the petal etcetc. unless it totally bit the dust.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is that bad gas? i never knew that until last year on my way to valemount i was filling up beside a uhaul and it left before me and it was broken down about 10km later...i thought it was odd...about 500 yards my truck started running terrible and shut off. i limped it into the next town and put in petro premium and it ran like a top

anyways..if you get them pulled out there are certain specifications on wear and how much play should be in the petal etcetc. unless it totally bit the dust.

I had a 383 chev tricked out to about 475 - 500HP in my Jeep, I filled up 3/4 of a tank of Mohawk. I barly made it 4 blocks. Had to tow it home, after a mess of atemps of different things I finally dumped the fuel. Filled up with PC prem. Fired right up like nothing was ever wrong. Never looked back or went back. My ZX, a freind filled up on our last trip out for the season at Mohawk. Ran OK then but the next time we fired her up the Reeds were toast. If ya go to Mr R's web site he talk's about not running it as well. I don't run it with my exsperance's, but to each his own.:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Don't you have aftermarket reeds in that big kitty? If so, chances of going through a set of aftermarkets is pretty slim. Suspect bad gas more than anything....... Did you check your plugs?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT RUN MOHAWK IN SLEDS !!! unless you want to burn holes in your pistons, they have ethanol and methanol blended fuel (more lighter hydrocarbons) i actually think it was in the book not to run Mohawk or Husky fuel in 2 strokes. Iv always had good luck with Petro-Can and Shell. Rode in golden last year and found 2 polaris with holes in their pistons, they fill up at mohawk, they did the same thing the year before too, think youd figure it out :rolleyes: they didn't wanna listen to me though... im sure there still usen it ! Ohh more stories, before i knew about this i ran a tank of husky the second day of riding first day was petro, and i had no power and it wouldn't climb running the husky fuel, got embarassed alot that day.

As for your problem um ... not a clue... Could it have something to do with altitude ? (comming down off the mountain).

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went sledding the one time around Morinville,my bro and cuz decieded to go to Mohawk...I told them "screw this i'm not using this crap"....I know it shows if you use ethanol that you have to disconnect some wires on my sled anyways,but i'm like why take the chance..I try to stick with Petro-Can.

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are using pump gas?
are you using octane boost?
what other fuels are you using?
sorry didn't mean to jack your thread

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are using pump gas?
are you using octane boost?
what other fuels are you using?
sorry didn't mean to jack your thread

Premium 91 octane fuel for my 07 and 08 800R, used to run regular in the 2002 800. Iv always used a little bit of *Proma* fuel additive, machines have always run great.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chevron or shell maybe esso or petro canada but NEVER mowhawk or husky

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Lyle, when the V Force reeds went on my 700 RMK there was just a little chip out of the side of one of the reeds. It went from running fine to not hitting the RPM's and it would sputter off the line. It sounded and felt like a fuel problem, and I guess it was....reeds.

You gotta look real close when you pull them out. Some people say that if your flip the reed over from time to time (they start to warp) it may help as well.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT RUN MOHAWK IN SLEDS !!! unless you want to burn holes in your pistons, they have ethanol and methanol blended fuel (more lighter hydrocarbons) i actually think it was in the book not to run Mohawk or Husky fuel in 2 strokes. Iv always had good luck with Petro-Can and Shell. Rode in golden last year and found 2 polaris with holes in their pistons, they fill up at mohawk, they did the same thing the year before too, think youd figure it out :rolleyes: they didn't wanna listen to me though... im sure there still usen it ! Ohh more stories, before i knew about this i ran a tank of husky the second day of riding first day was petro, and i had no power and it wouldn't climb running the husky fuel, got embarassed alot that day.

As for your problem um ... not a clue... Could it have something to do with altitude ? (comming down off the mountain).

I agree with Mavrick. I recall for EFI Cats in the manual if you are forced to burn oxygenated fuel ( like ethanol blended fuel ) you have to disconnect a electrical plug near your ECU to change the fuel map ( and timing ) . In Ontario I think by Provincial law they have 10 % Ethanol in all there fuel stations. I filled at Mohawk in Edson ( didn't diconnect the plug) and the machine ran poorly and would backfire when I shut it off. I think backfiring is very hard on reeds. :confused:

KingCatz

Reaction score
Is it ok to run premium with no mods? It says regular 87 in the manual, but my cousins say to run premium. Just picking up my 09 M8 this weekend.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I looked for the wire to unplug it as that would be an easy fix but not sure if Im looking at the right wire/plug,Can someone tell me where to look and what colour an so on.And will try new plugs as well.
catmando!
I still got the brand new stock reeds if all else fails!

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I looked for the wire to unplug it as that would be an easy fix but not sure if Im looking at the right wire/plug,Can someone tell me where to look and what colour an so on.And will try new plugs as well.
catmando!
I still got the brand new stock reeds if all else fails!

Lyle,when my reeds went it would run on one side has 2 buggered up.If you look under the hood by the ECU you should see a note on the airbox someplace on the side and it'll show you what to disconnect..All mine is,is a black wire that plugs into one another.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lyle,when my reeds went it would run on one side has 2 buggered up.If you look under the hood by the ECU you should see a note on the airbox someplace on the side and it'll show you what to disconnect..All mine is,is a black wire that plugs into one another.

yup thats right! (should be on the air box).....I bet that's your issue catmando, I thought the exact same thing this yr on my 900 in Whistler, and in the end it was all to do with the "junk" Husky fuel!!!!!!

Drained the tank (into a waste pail) started it up and on my way again, just in time to highmark and roll my sled into a tree about 30' down......still rode the day with a bent A-arm, no hood, bent bars, no brakes......MINOR DETAIL! :d

Top Bottom