What happened to the SnowPulse group buy THREAD

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
What happened to the thread?????

I suspect it was moderated to oblivion. The distributor must not allow discounts as that might encourage competition amongst dealers. This is a form of price control /price fixing/ market manipulation (call it what you want). I think of it as "Dealers may NOT sell for less"
Us consumers are use to the many layers of "distribution" which at every level take a tidy sum of profit. How else does an item which a manufacturer produces which may be worth $50 per unit profit in, freight extra end up on the retail shelves for $200.

I think the SnowPulse guy's account should be banned as his existance is not in the interest of the snowmobiling population of which this site is founded upon. Should this not happen, I would recommend a campaign to the moderators for reasonable content on this site. Is Snowpulse a supporting vendor??????

A group buy like this is often encouraged in many industries such as insurance, the ASA dealer price discounts. Apparently safety cannot be afforded even in numbers when dealing with the European airbags.

Keep in mind that the air bag back pack is not a guarantee to survive an avalanche but rather a tool which may mitigate the evironmental factors leading to possible death. One must also consider that wearing a seat belt in a car with air bags, ABS etc does not ensure you will survive a vehicle accident. Chances are that if a 15ft wall of snow hits you at 150 Km/ Hr there will be other factors determining your fate rather than the effects of an over prices back pack with $250 of air bladders and regulators.

GRD

Reaction score
TrailCrusader,

From what I saw and read, the deal was set-up by a member of snow and mud. Than the dealer that was going to do the group sale, found out he/she was unable to sell at the price quoted. The thread was closed because there was no group sale.

Hope that answers a couple of your questions.

What happened to the thread?????

I suspect it was moderated to oblivion. The distributor must not allow discounts as that might encourage competition amongst dealers. This is a form of price control /price fixing/ market manipulation (call it what you want). I think of it as "Dealers may NOT sell for less"
Us consumers are use to the many layers of "distribution" which at every level take a tidy sum of profit. How else does an item which a manufacturer produces which may be worth $50 per unit profit in, freight extra end up on the retail shelves for $200.

I think the SnowPulse guy's account should be banned as his existance is not in the interest of the snowmobiling population of which this site is founded upon. Should this not happen, I would recommend a campaign to the moderators for reasonable content on this site. Is Snowpulse a supporting vendor??????

A group buy like this is often encouraged in many industries such as insurance, the ASA dealer price discounts. Apparently safety cannot be afforded even in numbers when dealing with the European airbags.

Keep in mind that the air bag back pack is not a guarantee to survive an avalanche but rather a tool which may mitigate the evironmental factors leading to possible death. One must also consider that wearing a seat belt in a car with air bags, ABS etc does not ensure you will survive a vehicle accident. Chances are that if a 15ft wall of snow hits you at 150 Km/ Hr there will be other factors determining your fate rather than the effects of an over prices back pack with $250 of air bladders and regulators.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,I agree with all that you have said. I wondered as well why the thread was yanked.
These safety back pack vendors are under the same clamp as the Klim dealers are.
When you have a product that works,inflate the price and make sure no one(vendors) discounts that price.Its not the vendors fault,they are told the price to sell and if they dont their dealer status is discontinued. So much for free enterprise.....

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sorry but i would pay whatever the price was to give me that much more of a chance, nothing in life is guaranteed get used to it, these bags are proven and will save lives ABS, Snowpulse it doesn't really matter what brand as long as it gives you more chances of survival and IMO they both do and are worth the $$$$$$

mmagic

Mountain Magic Snow Machines
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainmagic.ca
Yes,I agree with all that you have said. I wondered as well why the thread was yanked.
These safety back pack vendors are under the same clamp as the Klim dealers are.
When you have a product that works,inflate the price and make sure no one(vendors) discounts that price.Its not the vendors fault,they are told the price to sell and if they dont their dealer status is discontinued. So much for free enterprise.....

Just to shed some light from a dealers point of view, part of our agreement to sell snow pulse packs is that we cannot discount them or offer group rates. We at Mountain Magic believe safety is paramount and do our best to provide the best gear at the best possible price.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail Crusader..... Did you happen to loose a couple horses in McBride BC.????? Some people in this world just make me go.....:hmm:

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda sucks when the suppliers have the dealers over a barrel like that. Would think it would make for good PR, both for the dealer and the supplier.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
" nothing in life is guaranteed get used to it, "

I believe what TrailCrusader is saying is that it is not right to put a price freeze on a product.He also states that it doesn't allow dealers to be competitive.Both things are against the way we do business in North America.
He is also right when he says that you have 2 maybe 3 hundred bucks into these things (I believe even those figures to be high)
So say what you will Scuba, the man definitely has a point...Cheers

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the reason the tread was removed was because the price fixing was uncovered and also that with the difference in price that was offered from the dealer in Fort Sask and the retail pricing was the profit...
Just my two cents !!

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the reason the tread was removed was because the price fixing was uncovered and also that with the difference in price that was offered from the dealer in Fort Sask and the retail pricing was the profit...
Just my two cents !!

Unfortunately the dealer from Fort Sask wanted to help out,but was called out by another dealer. Now, I cannot blame anyone with this because this is the way the dealer network and agreements are made.
It is a very sad thing though because it ties a dealers hands on how he wants to do business. And in this day and age,I strongly believe that they should rethink their corporate strategy.....:beer:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You see this everywhere and with all types of commodities. Anywhere from diamonds to Big mac's.... What do you suggest we the consumers do? Boycott the pack importers/distributors? Snowmobiling and Back country skiing is a disposable income Hobie, it costs money to play. Beacons,gps, shovels, snowsuits, helmets, parts, passes, fuel, insurance, lodging,...etc

What is your suggestion?

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
TrailCrusader,

From what I saw and read, the deal was set-up by a member of snow and mud. Than the dealer that was going to do the group sale, found out he/she was unable to sell at the price quoted. The thread was closed because there was no group sale.

Hope that answers a couple of your questions.

I fully understand. The deal was a go-ahead until the main distributor read about it on this site. This means that is was possible until the price was called into question. I tip my hat to the dealer who was willing to cut his profit margin (the main disributor was getting his full asking price) for a bulk buy on behalf of this group. The problem is that the discussions were too public. I have seen this before. Price controll.

I like this thread. People have spoken for it and against it. That is great as we all do not see everything alike.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully understand. The deal was a go-ahead until the main distributor read about it on this site. This means that is was possible until the price was called into question. I tip my hat to the dealer who was willing to cut his profit margin (the main disributor was getting his full asking price) for a bulk buy on behalf of this group. The problem is that the discussions were too public. I have seen this before. Price controll.

I like this thread. People have spoken for it and against it. That is great as we all do not see everything alike.

I am curious, where is it you get your information from? or are you speculating that this distributor read about this group buy on this site, and this is why the sale was cut off.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You see this everywhere and with all types of commodities. Anywhere from diamonds to Big mac's.... What do you suggest we the consumers do? Boycott the pack importers/distributors? Snowmobiling and Back country skiing is a disposable income Hobie, it costs money to play. Beacons,gps, shovels, snowsuits, helmets, parts, passes, fuel, insurance, lodging,...etc

What is your suggestion?

You are right on your insight on hamburgers..they have a set price in the McDonald franchise.But that price is set on competition from others in the burger business.If there were only two hamburger outlets in the world,believe me you wouldn't be paying $5.00 for a whoopee meal.
When a company sees a monopoly,as the airbag people do,they act on it.
And this will never change,as long as there are people like you that think that it is acceptable......Cheers

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what I am intending to do.. But I won't comment on it because I don't want to sway anyone else into doing something that they don't want to do. People should make the decision as to what they feel is best. I would also suggest that it might be a very good investment for the person that is putting themselves in a dangerous situation everytime they go riding.. If the boys in Fernie had them on, they might have all made it out alive.. If you don't intend to buy one then you better make sure that you give yourself half a chance and make sure that the guys that you ride with have and know how to operate there av gear. Because if they don't then you might as well be riding alone and you won't have a hope in hell of making it.. We all know better than to ride alone... So it is a decision that you the rider needs to make on their own..

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right on your insight on hamburgers..they have a set price in the McDonald franchise.But that price is set on competition from others in the burger business.If there were only two hamburger outlets in the world,believe me you wouldn't be paying $5.00 for a whoopee meal.
When a company sees a monopoly,as the airbag people do,they act on it.
And this will never change,as long as there are people like you that think that it is acceptable......Cheers

Whoaa there......, Not once did i mention that there prices were accepable, so you don't need to paint me with your " you kind of people " brush.
I did ask the question .... "What do you suggest"?
Furthermore, do you ride in the backcountry? Do you own any of the safety equipment?

Top Bottom