what fuel to run

padleym1000

Reaction score
was just wondering if ave gas would be ok or 50-50 91 and c111 im running a impulse race kit on my nytro any info would help out..thanks

Josh

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call or Email Paul. His kit, He would know best. I have 2 buddies with Impulse kits, One runs straight Av Gas up to 20lbs and then Straight VP any higher than that. The other buddy runs VP mixed 50/50 up to 17lbs and Straight VP any higher than that.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an Impulse Turbo race kit on a 2008 Nytro and run C111 50/50 with premium 91 Octane fuel (Shell's V-Power Gold) at 17 lbs boost and have not had any problems. Never went straight C111 and higher boost as the 17 lbs is more than enough for the riding I do, although that is what I've been told to do if I ever get the urge to go higher. Just picked up my sled from Neil last night after getting the Boost-It system installed and can't wait to try it out! Never could get the bottom end to be crisp at all before but loved the top half of the throttle.

powder muncher

Reaction score
With straight Av you will always be saver than with a mix - no guess work no questionable car gas.

Av will give you 110 octane running rich like 11.5 to 12 to 1 and maintain at least 100 octane at leaner than 14.7 to 1 it is tested on a supercharged knock engine with a 300 degree intake temp.

The stuff is made for boosted engines on aircraft engines we pull 48 inches of manifold on take off with very large cylinders at low RPM all that makes a engine very easy get detonation damage, Av gas is designed to prevent that.
I ran it up to 20 pounds for years in my RX1 turbo with 0 issues.

Last edited:

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Slave Lake Yamaha ran 21pounds with straight AV on their MCX Nytro's at 21pounds with no problems ever. This is what I am running in my impulse, straight AV and 21psi at elevation. 21 pounds with a garrett 2871 will blow your socks off! Its one hell of a ride!:d I also run carrillo rods and arp head studs just to be safe. Only downfall with av is that eventually the high lead content will gum up injectors over time.

Redneck002

Reaction score
I have the same question what fuel to run on my MCX 270 kit i can get a barrel of VP U4.4 which i think is 103 octane would i be alright to run that straight at 17lbs boost?

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Re: MCX 270 Turbo Fuel
The MCX 270 kit is totally designed to run on pump premium. That is all I run on .......I now have over 10,000k on that sled. At elevation it will creep to 18 and sometimes 19lbs depending on air density.
The MCX crew was here last month and felt our premium fuel is similar to their premium fuel.....they said......just pump fuel and ride!!
RS

That's a quote right from Randy Swenson! Don't think there are too many others who have more MCX experience ;)

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Reaction score
We have built nearly 100 MCXPRESS Nytro's now. (40+ MCX270's) And most of our customers and myself included have been running just 91 premium at 16-19lbs boost (depending on elevation) with 0 problems. Have only had one engine failure...but trying to run a 270 kit on pump gas at 24lbs boost will do that.lol. So PUMP all the way, just as Swenny said! - Cody

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At what elevation do you need better fuel, higher octane? Low elev or higher elev?
ex. I run 8lbs at 2000' with 50/50 but is it safe to stay with just Prem? Or just prem once up in elevation??
Or does it all depend on Boost #'s?

Rear mount w/intercooler no headshim

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
I believe mcx's kit runs 8 pounds on premium at low elevation and might go up a pound or to when at 6000+ feet. All depends on air density. You would be safe at 8 on premium if you could be positive on your octane. You can just grab Av at the Bville air port with a credit card. It's at about 1.65/L. cheap insurance on good fuel.

Cel

Reaction score
We ride at sea level up to about 4500 -5000 ft and the dealer in town has a mcx 180 kit
running 10 pounds of boost all the time and he only runs 91
the only place where I live to get 94 is chevron

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride at sea level up to about 4500 -5000 ft and the dealer in town has a mcx 180 kit
running 10 pounds of boost all the time and he only runs 91
the only place where I live to get 94 is chevron

I would be really careful with some of the gas at the pump, some of it as "Ethanol" witch isn't any good for turbo or any boosted sled.

Cel

Reaction score
I know a couple of guys that just run 94 from chevron and they are running 15 pounds
And have had no prob with it that's on the 240 -270 kits

Top Bottom