What does everyone do for a career?

SnowBunny25

Reaction score
I work for the Alberta Impaired Drivers Program and talk with impaired drivers all day. It's interesting work to say the least.:rolleyes:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked as a sled/motorcycle mechanic starting at like 15 then no money in that in BC so i went out logging, that was a blast.. Driving skidder is still one of my favorite jobs.. It's like a massive 4wheeeler except there aint alot that gets in your way that you cant plow over...FUN... Now i'm livin in AB and lovin it, I get the joy of working at a highend sled shop.. I get to build some raelly cool and awesome sleds for people.. I've built sleds where people have put like 40-50+ Ginto there sled after buying it... I love it... My dream job.. I was pumped cause this year we had a chick come in and have us build here a rev, she's got like 40G into her's now... Nice to see, she drives big truck out on the patch.. I love seeing more and more chicks getting into the sport... I have the pleasure of working at specialty sleds..

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked as a sled/motorcycle mechanic starting at like 15 then no money in that in BC so i went out logging, that was a blast.. Driving skidder is still one of my favorite jobs.. It's like a massive 4wheeeler except there aint alot that gets in your way that you cant plow over...FUN... Now i'm livin in AB and lovin it, I get the joy of working at a highend sled shop.. I get to build some raelly cool and awesome sleds for people.. I've built sleds where people have put like 40-50+ Ginto there sled after buying it... I love it... My dream job.. I was pumped cause this year we had a chick come in and have us build here a rev, she's got like 40G into her's now... Nice to see, she drives big truck out on the patch.. I love seeing more and more chicks getting into the sport... I have the pleasure of working at specialty sleds..

just curious how old you are now...and you work at specialty right?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am part owner and the business manager for a small R&D company... I helped start the company up almost 8 years ago... we do materials engineering and technology commercialization... exploring how microwave heating technology can be used for advanced materials applications - like fuel cells, semi-conductors, nano-ceramics, electro-ceramics, wear parts, and a whole long list that will bore ya :D

We basically do in-house R&D to develop and then license or sell our own intellectual property and inventions... and we also do research and development work for large companies and the government.

Some of the things we've worked on have been sport related - even snowmobing - so that adds a little fun in :D For example... microwaves can be used to improve the properties of some materials, so the materials used for the drive clutch, torsion, and suspension springs on our sleds are improved... we've also worked on making brake materials so they are stronger and tougher and last longer...

And, we accidentally blow stuff up every now and then - that part is fun :doh: :p LOL

I also do some photography work on the side... mostly action stuff and nature stuff... I love shooting snocross and motocross, and I worked for a while for NESRA (North East Snowmobile Racing Assn), a new snocross track here in the NY area... but I had to let the gig go, because it was interfering with my riding time LOL ...I find it really hard to sit and take pics, when I'd rather be sledding myself :drool:

Trish... Sounds like you have your hands full! When do you get the time to ride? Up here (Alberta), a girl with your kind of energy and drive would ride an F7 :D Time to upgrade, sounds like you could handle it! :D:D

Trencher

Reaction score
Contract Oil/Gas Operator, Consulting. Hot shots whatever gets thrown my way when i'm not out sleddin, Work to live don't live to work..... Words to live by... that and everyone wang chung.

Trencher

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Licenced Alberta Motor Mechanic,,had Honda and Bombadier dealership from 76 to 89,,then bought gas station and tow trucks and bought repaired and sold sleds,bikes,ATVS,,sold out 2 yrs ago and went operating in small gas plants north of Ft Nelson,,got laid off for reporting young co-worker that was packing a 45 handgun on plane and who wouldnt do any work around the plants,.,,,backfired,bosses buddy..
so now stay home on farm,, Tow for poor people,repair cars .sleds,ARVs for poor people,,only charge $35.00 a hr in my old 60 yr shop..

MY TOYS

1986 Indy 600 chasis with 800 specilties sled triple,144 1/1/2 track, good trail runner
2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4
1983 Honda Gold Wing GL-1100
1980 Honda CM-450 Auto (wifes bike)
1974 Arctic scrap( cat) 340 Lynx MInt one owner sled
1986 Ford F-350 Tow truck with 1 million 3 hundred on it,I love towing these new Diesals back to dealerships.
and about 35 project vehciles..( wife brings them all home)

and my 57 chevy 2 dr .........my dream for last 25 yrs.

besides that,got nothing to do all day....yea right!!

2 sons,one a auto body tech thats going to restore the 57 for Dad( yes right)
and other whos a Motorcycle Tech in a yamaha Dealer who brings home new Yamies for Dad to try,,,,

QUOTE !

Be nice to your kids, they will pick the seniors lodge and Apple sauce and Depends for us later.....

Last edited:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious how old you are now...and you work at specialty right?

Yah i'm like 33 and have been working on sleds, bikes and stuff like that since i've been like 15.. I worked at a honda dealership for like 10years./ And the shop had a couple of different sled dealerships... I also have my skidoo tech ticket... As far as i'm concerned i've paid my dues and now it's time i actually get a good job doing what i love.. They dont pay worth a crap in this feild back in BC. That is because people over there don't have near as much spare cash as they do over here in AB... This is my dream job...

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah i'm like 33 and have been working on sleds, bikes and stuff like that since i've been like 15.. I worked at a honda dealership for like 10years./ And the shop had a couple of different sled dealerships... I also have my skidoo tech ticket... As far as i'm concerned i've paid my dues and now it's time i actually get a good job doing what i love.. They dont pay worth a crap in this feild back in BC. That is because people over there don't have near as much spare cash as they do over here in AB... This is my dream job...

I would be interested in doing exactly what you are, but i don't know if it pays well enough..?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not bad.. If you get into a good shop.. You can do alot in that area.. But what i found is bc don't pay like over here.. In Bc it seemed like you were lucky to get 18 an hour.. over here i do better than that, and i go under contract so that i get write offs.. But it is an awesome trade, i also enjoy the bikes..

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not bad.. If you get into a good shop.. You can do alot in that area.. But what i found is bc don't pay like over here.. In Bc it seemed like you were lucky to get 18 an hour.. over here i do better than that, and i go under contract so that i get write offs.. But it is an awesome trade, i also enjoy the bikes..

Definately something to think about...it's something that i would be very interested in doing...i just want to be making decent money doing it...

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well im gunna be getting into a program for school that lets me goto collegde a year erliey to do trades coure and then get out to the mines and do heave dutie mechanics

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
haha i know im a bad speller..on the net i dont usaly take the time..but not at school either i guess :p
i noticed in one of my post's that Bigfoot edited he put "do they teach spelling in blue river"
well i dont know that because i goto school in clearwater

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Retired from the Canadian Forces just over a year ago, now working for the largest towing company in Alberta, driving heavy wrecker and bending wrenches in the shop.

Top Bottom