What climbs higher??

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes was wondering. By measuring both tracks there's only 1/4 inch height difference. Added more power to sled and have 3" on floor. But thought I may see what happens before I swap it out.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more go go juice and a combination of proper clutching and i think the 2.5 will be able to beat if not keep up to the 3. thats my .02

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Accidently added trygstad kit. So wondering if I should add the big lug or dial clutching abit more.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That ¼"is like 10 HP IMO.

Sure if you are pounding a slope full out and have'er taped throughout.. I guess the latter would be beneficial.

Thing is, I am not sure how the 3" will be in spring snow for the masses..

Yes was wondering. By measuring both tracks there's only 1/4 inch height difference. Added more power to sled and have 3" on floor. But thought I may see what happens before I swap it out.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have currently ran both on my TNytro, the 3" and the 2.5", on a 174 set up.
If you have the power of a turbo, especially a 4stroke turbo there is a big noticeable difference between the two. The 3" hooks up ALOT faster and puts you on top of the snow much quicker in the deep stuff. The sled get's high track speeds quicker and maintain's a higher ground speed longer on big climbs.
I was also able to pretty much drive up to alot of hills and not hit the throttle till at the base and still shoot the top, while the 2.5 needed a bit of a run at the base. Also on a climb i found you could easily back off and slow down and if needed throttle back up and pickup the speed. All this if you have the power to work it. (the track)
But it's not all rosy with the 3", while a non turbo sled will benefit a little but IMO not like a turbo'd version.
They HATE trail's, slider melt down is a big problem and so is overheating as they do not move enough snow to the exchanger's, even with scratcher's they still can be a problem. Never seen one EVER on a long trail ride not eventually have a problem with heat. Again depending on how far you need to go on the trail.
Another big problem with them is loosing the lug's, on turbo'd sled's. The non turbo'd don't appear to have that problem as they can not generate the track velocity of the turbo. I went through TWO 3" track's and both by the end of the season had lost many of the lug's. One track had lost a strip of 4 lug's in a row.
I now have gone back to the 2.5", running my second season with ZERO lug issues, some minor slider melting issues, even with scratcher's but NO over heating, even on the longest trail run's.
Will my 2.5 climb as far as my 3", well 90% of the time for the hill's i climb yes, for the other 10% it's mostly rider related. Unless your a pro hill climber the 2.5 can ALMOST meet the 3" on any given day. But the 3" has an advantage on climb's and more noticeable on turbo's and even more if your a pro hill climber.
Any body else the 2.5" IMO is a all around better track.
My experience and 2cents

uninc...

Reaction score
2.5 is good but 3 is definitely better. I ran the 3" on my xp then did it on my 2013 xm. And definitely not going back. They do run the engine a bit warm and are hard on sliders but who cares about that. The track allows you to have way more control going up or down. And Once geared and clutched there isn't a significant loss in power. As for harder spring conditions I don't think it's any different then a 2.5. There's a reason doo came out with the t3...

uninc...

Reaction score
Also I never lost a lug off either of my camo extreme 162x3 In a total of around 3000kms. I know it was happening to some though.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks like the chicken plucker will go in by accident also. Hey Lund haven't talked to you in awhile!! You still have your tugboat??(1000)? Kinda miss mine! Kenny it was a accident!! Haha. No triples from brp yet!lund brings up
some good points I'll try 2.5 first and make corporate decision!

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks like the chicken plucker will go in by accident also. Hey Lund haven't talked to you in awhile!! You still have your tugboat??(1000)? Kinda miss mine! Kenny it was a accident!! Haha. No triples from brp yet!lund brings up
some good points I'll try 2.5 first and make corporate decision!

Yep it's has been awhile.
Nope she's gone, do i miss the fat lady haha, not really. I got involved with another fat but naughtier one, that take's me to a whole new level....of dance.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a old 85 plus we call the greygoat! So you are correct in many ways!! Happy New Year to you and yours!!

Top Bottom