What can for M1000

joe-bert

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a 2009 M1000,looking to shed a few pounds with a few upgrades, but I have a couple questions because modding is new to me. Will I notice a big difference just by swapping out the can? If so, which can do you think is best? Pros/Cons? Also, I've heard the airbox is quite restricting in the M1000, upgrading the airbox will I notice a big difference? At what point do you have to go to a PCV or something along those lines?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends what year your 1000 is. I run a 2009 and for the first 3 years ran a d&d big Barker can and it worked well but the inside gave her quits 3 rides out last year so I rode stock suitcase last year and hated it! I ended up picking a jaws up from Ralph's in Sept and going to run that and see. Anything I have heard jaws on cats are good! The stock suitcase is heavy and you will notice the weight, sound and it will be snappier. Dial in your clutching and be sure to out a Y-pipe on as this is makes big difference in the 1000! Lots of venting and rip all the insulation out of the hood!

Reactions: BBK

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I did to my air box. Running full Slp and a boondocker box and a lot of other stuff. Have well over 50 lbs of my M1000.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 163

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skip putting on just a can. Put a full speed works y-pipe, pipe and can combo on it and a fuel controller. That sled will go from being alright, to wild.

And like what niner did, is the better air box mod. I installed pods on an M1000 and they just iced up from snow build up.

Sent from my iPhone

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a 2009 M1000,looking to shed a few pounds with a few upgrades, but I have a couple questions because modding is new to me. Will I notice a big difference just by swapping out the can? If so, which can do you think is best? Pros/Cons? Also, I've heard the airbox is quite restricting in the M1000, upgrading the airbox will I notice a big difference? At what point do you have to go to a PCV or something along those lines?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

If your looking to shed a few pound then I would suggest the MBRP can. IMO the best bang for your buck. the only difference you will notice is it is a little louder but not obnoxiously load. As to doing anything to the air box I would suggest not to unless you are prepare to spend some cash on a fuel controller and do so tinkering. M 07 did not like just the Y pipe without a fuel controller(developed a lean pop at 3/4 and up ) No if you want to wake up the beast you can go whole hog and install a SLP pipe 3° timing advance key hog out your air box install the SLP air horn Boyesen RAD valves and PCV fuel controller. You then must burn premium fuel.

togo ripper

Reaction score
I have an 09 m1000 as well and didn't like the mbrp can at all there is a reason there are so many for sale on kijiji I lost a ton of throttle response, the d&d works the best for mine but they aren't on the website anymore so have to call amd order

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above posts, you can't do a lot of mods without a fuel controller. Good thing about the M is there is tons of good used parts if you want to save some money.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a like new in box pcv for an 09 m1000 didn't work on my 08 different ecu connector for 250 if interested

joe-bert

Reaction score
I might just take you up on that slomo, that would be awesome!

ive heard a lot of good things about the jaws can, but what would you say is the best pipe? Ypipe? Combo to go with it? Does the 1000 really come alive with a pipeset?

Oh also, does the auto tune work well on sleds with the PCV or are you better off just mapping it yourself? I'm not too familiar with modding sleds.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might just take you up on that slomo, that would be awesome!

ive heard a lot of good things about the jaws can, but what would you say is the best pipe? Ypipe? Combo to go with it? Does the 1000 really come alive with a pipeset?

Oh also, does the auto tune work well on sleds with the PCV or are you better off just mapping it yourself? I'm not too familiar with modding sleds.

Thanks!!

A pipe really turns it into a very different machine. I've ridden an M1000 with a full speed works with a boondocker box and it was a beast. The PC5 is quite user friendly. Choose your pipe and download the map into the PC5. My 09 M8 had a full SLP with the quiet can and it was a great increase power from feel.

Sent from my iPhone

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm parting out my 1000.
Linderman cylinder porting and shaved head. You're wasting money on 91 otherwise. Your choice of pipe- speedwerx, slp or for fun times and hearing loss, I have a set of beatifully crafted Jaws twins 2 in 1 can. which I might hang on the Xmas tree this year. I have cutler airbox, power commander + lcd + auto tune. I've tried Attitude and it wasn't mapped properly. You're also wasting your money on anything other than a speedwerx tunnel dump can, which I also happen to have for sale with a muffpot mount that won't ever come off of let you down. I was thinking of fabbing a jaws twins to a speedwerx tunnel dump but... the XM just sits there smelling pretty.

PM me your email address/number, I'm just about to put my list out for tender! Been there done that on my sled, search my posts.

c_nelson99

Reaction score
slp pipe set really woke my m1000 up, pulls like a freight train. The can with their combo has held up to 3000+km on my sled and still isnt obnoxious loud, the aluminized coating wasnt didn't fare so well.

joe-bert

Reaction score
If i just put a can on for now is it going to screw anything up? Cause any unwanted bogs or anything?
Last winter in deep snow it bogger out under acceleration from a stop it would just die... What wiuld
cause that? It would fire up again right after

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i just put a can on for now is it going to screw anything up? Cause any unwanted bogs or anything?
Last winter in deep snow it bogger out under acceleration from a stop it would just die... What wiuld
cause that? It would fire up again right after

Have a look at your power valves

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Power valve cables are half the bog issue, the other half is running premium without head work, the other half is deep snow without a tunnel dump (unless you only carve to the right) and the last half is open that air box up. Keep stock it's the best it just needs lots of holes frog skins and a few flowrites. Wow I suck at ratios !

joe-bert

Reaction score
Sorry what do you mean by the cables are half the bog issue? What wrong with the cables? And I know it says to run 87 in it (which is what I run) but running premium will cause a bog in a stock sled? Also, a tunnel dump? And I think I might do to my airbox like the photos that were posted earlier in the thread...

As for your ratios I think you were looking for quarters of the problem lol... One problem, 4 contributing solutions lol.

Top Bottom