What atv to get

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am not really sure what to do I like all quads If I was making better money right now I would look into a can am that 650 xmr does look good but i also need a bike for hunting so i would need the front rack maybe I should keep my brute another year and get something next year plan on working in the bush next year. I heard that there was some good mods to do to make the grizzly and king more responsive and have quite a bit more horsepower. I heard that the machine sheave is good in the grizz and the mud buster cams and after market pistons. I read in a forum on this site that a guy said his buddy had that stuff done to his grizz and he could hang with the outlander 800. I am not that much of a speed demon though I like the bottom end wheelie power don't get me wrong love the speed but I like the low end more. I have never had much experience with the can am I hear good things than I hear bad things. But every company is like that you hear good and bad. KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING MAKING MY HEAD THINK WHAT TO GET :Ponder:

like i said before, i like the can am just seems more to go wrong but I am no mechanic... i ride with can am guys and yup I love those machines just not for me... if your going to buy a can am... get the biggest one you can or you will always want another one... IMHOP....i was in mud and beaver dams with them all day last summer and a little pissed cause they took me on an all day mud ride... I never overheated but i did go easy on my bike as that's how I ride... they hit everything to try to sink their bikes... one guy would get stuck and next guy would go to the exact same spot... lol I don't get that? Thats probably why I don't have a Can am...

The guys I ride with have had there own can am problems... how many of those can ams have the rad relocated already? One 800 we were with was always having to stop as it was overheating... just saying... the other guy had the latest and greatest 800 the one that looks like a farm tractor...with a built in air comperssor... very impressive machine... also had it's own problems... again easy fix... but he's gone through two sets of tie rod (or whatever) blew his front end catching ruts too fast... after two sets (on stock tires which are 30's i believe) Can am said they fixed the problem... then when washing it one day he kicked some sensor off the side of the bike... he plugged it back in when he figured out what was wrong... easy fix... just saying. So ya maybe the grizzly does have a small rad... i don't care cause it's never failed me! But when or if it does become a problem ill relocate it too... for now i can't see that being an issue... now if your talking doing wheelies... the grizz wont without the mods u mentioned... stock on the grizzly the air intake is very high which i like... not sure on the Can am?

But if your already looking to do those mods how much does that cost? might be worth just buying a bike you don't need to do that too... yes i'd buy a Can Am if you don't get a grizzly!!! my grizzly felt sluggish new to me... then i was told in mud to use low... now I do and the thing is impressive in low with diff loc. but still it's in low so I think it will do 40km/h max. On thing i really don't like about the grizzly on the 2012 is having to take 4 stupid body retension screw out to get to the air filter... their plastic and always seem to strip... Its all stock with bigger tires and it's a great hunting machine. I'd never buy a bike to sink it in the mud (no offence to anyone). I just wanted a reliable bike that would take me through nasty stuff if there was a moose on the other side... this fall I pulled a larger bull moose out of a swamp in 4x4 low diff lock over 3 k... when the trail turned it got dicy but we made it... that's what I bought my quad for.

on a side not if i wanted fastest and greatest bike... I love the look of the renegade

I like keeping stuff for years... I believe this bike will do that...

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL you can buy a canam and ride it anyway you choose.the point I was making was the op is already talking performance. Mods. So he will inevitably waste his money on the grizz. In your case the application is different.if you are happy that is all that matters.on the other hand he may want more out of a bike than you do.

If you want a bile for pulling ,get the 850 Popo . It will out pull any other quad built ...

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL you can buy a canam and ride it anyway you choose.the point I was making was the op is already talking performance. Mods. So he will inevitably waste his money on the grizz. In your case the application is different.if you are happy that is all that matters.on the other hand he may want more out of a bike than you do.

If you want a bile for pulling ,get the 850 Popo . It will out pull any other quad built ...

agreed 100% about the mods... that was kinda my point. If he's gonna start modding he should just get a can am... I would love to try the renegade in the 1000! Talk about hair straight back!I

have no point of view of the popo but i generally don't like them but I hear the 850 is there flag ship and those that have them love them.

no idea why i don't like them... old reviews going back 8-10 years i guess...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You play..................You pay

The harder you play..........................The more you pay

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a quote from another thread

"Go for the 800. You wont regret it. I came off a 660 grizzly to my 800max and love it". the post was a guy asking about the new can am xmr 650... i have to appoligise i have no idea what the xmr is but it sound new this year

if your in the used market lots of grizzly 660 out theres... bullet proff machine but odviously this guy doesn't regret his decision.

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can am all the way went from a brute 750 to a cat 1000 now a outty 1000 the outty has way way more power and been way more reliable I'd hold your brute till then my brute was a good machine the tcat didn't hold up

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's for sale.

TGMODSComplete037Large.jpg

Check out this video on YouTube:

That's without the nitrous.

Cheaper than a new Can Am and faster.

Pm if interested.

saskryan

Reaction score
After testing and reading about basically every single atv available I went with the base can am 1000 for 10k and put about 3k into it between tires, bumpers, winch, rad relocate, and snorkel but now I have basically an xmr at less cost. Can't beat the power of this thing, absolutely ridiculous.

..Stiffler..

Reaction score
I know guys who have over 20,000km on their can-ams. (Yes 20,000km) and have had very little problems with them.

It's all how you take care of it.

It doesn't matter what quad you have if your going to mud like some of these guys do (pin and grin) then your rad will get plugged every time unless relocated. I have seen many grizzlies, can-ams, popos, etc etc etc overheat due to mudding.

With the xmr that's a whole different story. You can't put 30" heavy mud tires on your machine and ride high speeds down rough trails and not expect to damage parts. Mud tires are ment for slow mud riding.

Stiff

Tapatalk using iPad.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can live with less power fine.......Just remember the grizz has the smallest rad out there....LOL Unless you relocate the rad up top ,you WILL overheat often....
OHH and that is something they don`t tell you about in ATV of the year..............LMFAO.

As long as my coolant is fresh and my rad clean, I typically overheat far less that the sportsmans I ride with and the sportsmans supposedly have the biggest rad on the market. I don't care what big bore machine you ride, if you get mud in the rad, you're going to overheat. At least you can clean a girzzly rad without bending the chit out of the fins. In fact, I've held the pressure spray an inch from my fins and have had no damage.

redivivus

Reaction score
it all will come down to preferences for anybody. I used to love the ac quads but I realized cats play in snow not water. picked up a renegade 800 was amazed by the power and handling. short body light but I rode it like a tart and rolled it a lot haha now I have a outlander 800 xt great bike plenty of power but any bike with the right mods will be good hope ur pick will be a good one

Top Bottom