what advantage is there in building a viper mountain sled vs the cat turbo

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firat off is being able to run and 8DN. List goes on from there

Chunk

Reaction score
Clutches, belts, chaincase components are stronger. 4 yrs on a t nytro and I went through 3 $49 belts running 20 lbs boost

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutches, belts, chaincase components are stronger. 4 yrs on a t nytro and I went through 3 $49 belts running 20 lbs boost

Is that all? If that's the case just get better clutches for the Cat then and forget about putting a long track on the Viper...

Chunk

Reaction score
I doubt that's all. Just a few things I thought of. Way rather have it say yamaha on it then cat. Cat's fit and finish is junk.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cat are running there own jack shafts so you cant just add a yamaha secondary. yamaha clutches are bullet proof and there belts cost half that of a cat belt. buy the yamaha version......

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I see on the Viper prototype. the chain case looks to be the same. Although the gearing may be different I doubt that it would be much difference in strength. I do know that the Yamaha clutches run much cooler so that is a big advantage. As far as fit and finish as Chunk points out. the Vipers fit and finish are identical to the Cat's (not that great). The big advantage to buying the Cat is that it already has the Turbo in it. By the time you ad a turbo to the Viper and long track it you are approaching the 30K mark. For an extra 2K you can have the Cat at the 265 Hp.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I see on the Viper prototype. the chain case looks to be the same. Although the gearing may be different I doubt that it would be much difference in strength. I do know that the Yamaha clutches run much cooler so that is a big advantage. As far as fit and finish as Chunk points out. the Vipers fit and finish are identical to the Cat's (not that great). The big advantage to buying the Cat is that it already has the Turbo in it. By the time you ad a turbo to the Viper and long track it you are approaching the 30K mark. For an extra 2K you can have the Cat at the 265 Hp.

Really good info!
Lol

Last edited:

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The cat 7000 doesn't have a turbo, it has a NA Nytro motor. Your thinking of the Cat 1100 boat anchor. Couldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot with that POS...

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cat 7000 doesn't have a turbo, it has a NA Nytro motor. Your thinking of the Cat 1100 boat anchor. Couldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot with that POS...

boat anchor. Have you rode with one. The most powerful stock sled out. F1100 does a 100 mph in a foot of snow. The M1100 is heavier than a 2 stroke but will easily out perform them.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cat are running there own jack shafts so you cant just add a yamaha secondary. yamaha clutches are bullet proof and there belts cost half that of a cat belt. buy the yamaha version......

Must be able to get a TEAM clutch or something for the Cat. You get a factory long track and turbo on the Cat. If I wanted that chassis in a 4stroke Id get the Cat personally, less work to make into a decent mountain sled IMO. I don't want that chassis tho...

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that is correct. the cat 7000 doesn't have a turbo, it has a NA Nytro motor. If you would pull your head out of your ass long enough to read the title of the thread, the question that was asked was, " what advantage is there in building a Viper mountain vs the Cat turbo." Yes the Turbo Cat is heavy but I wouldn't call it a boat anchor. You bring your whore and her piss pot over this winter and we will see if she gets pulled off.

Last edited:

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is correct. the cat 7000 doesn't have a turbo, it has a NA Nytro motor. If you would pull your head out of your ass long enough to read the title of the thread, the question that was asked was, " what advantage is there in building a Viper mountain vs the Cat turbo." Yes the Turbo Cat is heavy but I would call it a boat anchor. You bring your whore and her piss pot over this winter and we will see if she gets pulled off.
You will have to have a well working 1100 cat to out perform adrenaline addiction's apex lol. I personally don't think there's such a thing.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will have to have a well working 1100 cat to out perform adrenaline addiction's apex lol. I personally don't think there's such a thing.

At what price tag on each sled?? If we are talking a $40,000.00 sled vs a $16,000.00 sled......... Guess what a Shelby GT 500 will kick the chit out of a Mustang GT too.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Stock Viper is 12-13 ish depending on model. Track, skid, tunnel ext is 1800 ish for a 162 with stock skid. Turbo kits run 4500-7000 depending on how much power you need.
A 180-190 hp yamaha will outrun a 250 hp cat with the stock turbo. A 270 hp Yamaha will easily outrun a 300-330 hp Cat with the stock turbo. We have seen this over and over.
The Cat will be 20-30 lbs more.
Yamaha will have different internals in the chain case then Cat.
I have had my hands on the Cat and the proto Viper, and the Yamaha seems to have better fit and finish.
The stock skid and track on the Cat are inadequate for any type of real power anyway. We were running only 6 lbs boost on our proto Viper with the Yamaha engine and the stock Cat skid didn't have a hope of keeping up. The skis were in the air all day which made the sled unrideable.
Just some things to think about.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what kind of dry wieght is a guy looking at on a Viper with a long track and turbo kit? I realize that its not going to be as light as a 2 stroke. Just wondering how much heavier.

Top Bottom