Western Riding

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Definitely need work, I’m 28 and I work as a heavy duty truck mechanic and there’s all kinds of jobs available in both province’s. Just looking around at house prices it’s a lot more affordable in the Okanagan valley compared to the lower mainland. What’s the riding situation like from the valley?

To be close to the snow trails, you would need to be north of Kelowna and east of Kamloops. The lower mainland has the Coquihalla and of course Squamish/Whistler for riding but then again, the drive isn't great.

Jmill212

Reaction score
Peterbilt in Houston is looking for a truck mechanic.

Can ride anywhere, I ride from my house. It has to be a really special occasion for me to actually load up. Doesn't make sense to me to live in a great place and have to drive away from it to have some fun
Yeah I seen their ad on Indeed, but it looked like Houston was in the middle of nowhere

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I seen their ad on Indeed, but it looked like Houston was in the middle of nowhere
Unless you're an extremely avid hunter or fisherman Houston sucks no offense SWAT. Smithers is a gorgeous little town but still very isolated. BC Southern Interior is tough to beat for year-round recreation anywhere in Canada IMO. Kelowna has more job opportunities but housing is more $ and a longer drive to good riding. North Okanagan/Shuswap is where its at. Vernon, Armstrong, Enderby, Salmon Arm, Sicamous. Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon all have multiple heavy equipment dealers and the other towns all have companies with small to large equipment fleets mostly in logging and road building but also some civil companies. Revelstoke has remote techs from Brandt and Finning but not sure if there are openings.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you're an extremely avid hunter or fisherman Houston sucks no offense SWAT. Smithers is a gorgeous little town but still very isolated. BC Southern Interior is tough to beat for year-round recreation anywhere in Canada IMO. Kelowna has more job opportunities but housing is more $ and a longer drive to good riding. North Okanagan/Shuswap is where its at. Vernon, Armstrong, Enderby, Salmon Arm, Sicamous. Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon all have multiple heavy equipment dealers and the other towns all have companies with small to large equipment fleets mostly in logging and road building but also some civil companies. Revelstoke has remote techs from Brandt and Finning but not sure if there are openings.

Houston does suck if you fall into the local BS, but there is tons to see and do. Smithers is the most expensive real estate north of kelowna. Luckily for me I'm not in either town. Hands down there is no other place in the province that offers as much diversity when it comes to sledding especially from door to parking lot in 1hr

Jmill212

Reaction score
I seen that ad for Revelstoke, there’s some nice places there but a little more than I can afford right now. There’s tons of HET jobs but I’ve got far more truck experience, I work for a ready-mix company and got lots of hydraulic and some front end loader experience. So is it true there’s no private car insurance and all insurance is done through the BC government? What does snowmobile insurance cost? My Sidewinder is about $700 for the year in Ontario

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen that ad for Revelstoke, there’s some nice places there but a little more than I can afford right now. There’s tons of HET jobs but I’ve got far more truck experience, I work for a ready-mix company and got lots of hydraulic and some front end loader experience. So is it true there’s no private car insurance and all insurance is done through the BC government? What does snowmobile insurance cost? My Sidewinder is about $700 for the year in Ontario

There's no private car "liability" insurance. Lots of private options for fire/theft/collision etc. No idea what sled insurance costs. I don't insure mine.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never insured my sleds but my side by side is $92 a year for the maximum coverage I can get. Not sure if snowmobiles and SxS insure the same or not.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never insured my sleds but my side by side is $92 a year for the maximum coverage I can get. Not sure if snowmobiles and SxS insure the same or not.

$200 for $2,000,000 liability why take the risk

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will ticket you out in the back country if you don't have your proper documents with you. Two of our group of got handed tickets for $110.00 ea , because our paper work was in the trailer and not with us. This was all the way out at the cabin in keystone from conservation cops. Three of them were from three different areas of BC and checking to make sure no one was riding in the closed areas. They followed our tracks back into to cabin. We were stopped having lunch outside the cabin when they rode up. Looked like any normal group of fellow sledders, no markings on the sleds or their person until they removed their avy packs. Then you could see the badging on the uniforms and side arms. ( More to the story but not for this thread)

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you kill someone or injure them they get to sue your insurance instead of you personally.

Same as a motor vehicle.......

You really don't know this?

Never been sued by a dead person.

Like I said I never bothered

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never been sued by a dead person.

Like I said I never bothered

Years ago a sled took off throttle wide open came down hill took out two sleds and broke another’s legs. Said machine didn’t have insurance lawsuit brought everyone in and he was awarded north of 200k. Luckily one of the shops insurance paid it. I suppose if you didn’t have much to your name a guy might risk it but it’s it worth the roof over your families head?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago a sled took off throttle wide open came down hill took out two sleds and broke another’s legs. Said machine didn’t have insurance lawsuit brought everyone in and he was awarded north of 200k. Luckily one of the shops insurance paid it. I suppose if you didn’t have much to your name a guy might risk it but it’s it worth the roof over your families head?

No obviously its not, I thought that sort of thing was covered through the club membership.

Definitely something to think about

Top Bottom