Western Riding

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I have buddy's that used to ride from hall to griffin and owlshead - blue lake

I've done it before. never came all the way into owls though, but that's the easy part.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no mountain riding close to Calgary, the east side of the Rocky Mtns doesn't get snow like the west side and any areas that would be rideable are national park. You have to drive minimum 3 hours west to Golden or southwest toward Crowsnest Pass. There is a bit of trail riding but its still over an hour and very limited compared to what you're used to in Ontario.

Jmill - Take all my comments / feedback with a grain of salt, some of it will apply to general areas / people and some of it likely won't. I will speak in very general terms and paint areas with broad strokes. My advice is to come out, ride, have fun and see what you think. Some people get legit scared by mountain riding (100% OK). Looking down a 4000 ft hillside is really daunting and humbling, really makes you understand your insignificance compared to mother nature. I would say come out, go to a few places and do your research. All the BC mountain towns are pretty much seasonal, so costs sky rocket in the winter. Expect that no matter where you choose. BC is expensive to live. AB is cheaper, but Calgary is slightly above average for costs for a standard family, but a great place to live. Not 100% sure about Edmonton, I think its marginally cheaper than Calgary. Always lots to do and great people. People tend to look down on big city life. I grew up in rural BC. Depending on where you select in a big city (calgary for example), you can be in the mountains in 30 mins. Living on the south edge of Calgary and working out in the foothills / eastern slopes area, spending 90% of my days, and far more time than most of the people living in rural BC, outside. So your life can and will be what you make it. Edmonton is good but farther from the mountains (expect 4- 5 hrs to get to decent riding). Median wage is still much higher in AB overall (even with the downturn), so you will likely earn more. No HST either.

If you are serious about moving here - my advice is rent for the first year / month/ whatever (if you don't have a family and can do so) - you will make contacts here and once you do, you might find another opportunity you like better etc or your situation may change. If you are a HD mechanic, the Elk Valley (Fernie / Sparwood area) has the coal industry, and always seems to need mechanics. Golden / Revy / Interior BC are primarily driven by forestry, which is currently taking a beating. Your riding options are obviously closer and therefore more diverse in BC, but if you can't find a job its a moot point. It will be dependent on what you are willing to sacrifice, and what lifestyle you want. Living in AB and riding in BC is only a drive away on pavement, not as big of a deal as others make it out to be. If you look at places like Lethbridge (which is a great town), it has lots of agricultural dealers who need HD mechanics, and is only 1.5 hrs from Fernie. I also know people who drive from Calgary to Sparwood to work on a 4 day rotation.

Don't listen to what people say about the conditions (*cough* tex78 - transplanted to BC less than 10 yrs ago and is drinking the Sicamous kool aid heavily), you gotta go where the snow is, no matter what the year. I've been sledding mountains for almost 35 yrs - some years you have to drive 20 mins from your door, sometimes its 2 hrs. Revy will have great snow all the time, but its not a huge industry town. If you are only moving here for the sledding lifestyle - move to Revy / Kelowna/ Interior. Amazing terrain, great snow. nuf said. Fernie - great sledding, terrain is a bit more diverse, but doesn't build the snow base until Jan usually. Golden - great town, big terrain, big consequences. Great late season riding if you like the season to go long (not uncommon to May / June ride). May want to look at towns like Radium, its between the Fernie and Golden and has highway access to many great spots within 1-2 hrs, but tends to be a bit drier at times so expect to travel a bit.

If you choose to live in AB, there are a couple places to ride near Calgary but nothing significant until you get to the Crowsnest Pass (CNP). This area gets OK snow, just not as much as say, Fernie or Golden. The eastern slopes is a bit drier, but they get some deep days, but it doesn't last so you will need to be ready when they come (attached pic is from CNP last year). This wasn't the deepest day I have ever had in the CNP FWIW - just showing all the haters that it can happen. LOL Not really sure what Edmonton has near the city (Cadomin?) but places like Red Deer you can ride out in the Nordegg area and again, there are some great days to be had (Hummingbird / Onion Lake etc), but riding is restricted to certain times of the year, so take that into consideration.

Hope that helps. If you got any questions, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8884.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Jmill - Take all my comments / feedback with a grain of salt, some of it will apply to general areas / people and some of it likely won't. I will speak in very general terms and paint areas with broad strokes. My advice is to come out, ride, have fun and see what you think. Some people get legit scared by mountain riding (100% OK). Looking down a 4000 ft hillside is really daunting and humbling, really makes you understand your insignificance compared to mother nature. I would say come out, go to a few places and do your research. All the BC mountain towns are pretty much seasonal, so costs sky rocket in the winter. Expect that no matter where you choose. BC is expensive to live. AB is cheaper, but Calgary is slightly above average for costs for a standard family, but a great place to live. Not 100% sure about Edmonton, I think its marginally cheaper than Calgary. Always lots to do and great people. People tend to look down on big city life. I grew up in rural BC. Depending on where you select in a big city (calgary for example), you can be in the mountains in 30 mins. Living on the south edge of Calgary and working out in the foothills / eastern slopes area, spending 90% of my days, and far more time than most of the people living in rural BC, outside. So your life can and will be what you make it. Edmonton is good but farther from the mountains (expect 4- 5 hrs to get to decent riding). Median wage is still much higher in AB overall (even with the downturn), so you will likely earn more. No HST either.

If you are serious about moving here - my advice is rent for the first year / month/ whatever (if you don't have a family and can do so) - you will make contacts here and once you do, you might find another opportunity you like better etc or your situation may change. If you are a HD mechanic, the Elk Valley (Fernie / Sparwood area) has the coal industry, and always seems to need mechanics. Golden / Revy / Interior BC are primarily driven by forestry, which is currently taking a beating. Your riding options are obviously closer and therefore more diverse in BC, but if you can't find a job its a moot point. It will be dependent on what you are willing to sacrifice, and what lifestyle you want. Living in AB and riding in BC is only a drive away on pavement, not as big of a deal as others make it out to be. If you look at places like Lethbridge (which is a great town), it has lots of agricultural dealers who need HD mechanics, and is only 1.5 hrs from Fernie. I also know people who drive from Calgary to Sparwood to work on a 4 day rotation.

Don't listen to what people say about the conditions (*cough* tex78 - transplanted to BC less than 10 yrs ago and is drinking the Sicamous kool aid heavily), you gotta go where the snow is, no matter what the year. I've been sledding mountains for almost 35 yrs - some years you have to drive 20 mins from your door, sometimes its 2 hrs. Revy will have great snow all the time, but its not a huge industry town. If you are only moving here for the sledding lifestyle - move to Revy / Kelowna/ Interior. Amazing terrain, great snow. nuf said. Fernie - great sledding, terrain is a bit more diverse, but doesn't build the snow base until Jan usually. Golden - great town, big terrain, big consequences. Great late season riding if you like the season to go long (not uncommon to May / June ride). May want to look at towns like Radium, its between the Fernie and Golden and has highway access to many great spots within 1-2 hrs, but tends to be a bit drier at times so expect to travel a bit.

If you choose to live in AB, there are a couple places to ride near Calgary but nothing significant until you get to the Crowsnest Pass (CNP). This area gets OK snow, just not as much as say, Fernie or Golden. The eastern slopes is a bit drier, but they get some deep days, but it doesn't last so you will need to be ready when they come (attached pic is from CNP last year). This wasn't the deepest day I have ever had in the CNP FWIW - just showing all the haters that it can happen. LOL Not really sure what Edmonton has near the city (Cadomin?) but places like Red Deer you can ride out in the Nordegg area and again, there are some great days to be had (Hummingbird / Onion Lake etc), but riding is restricted to certain times of the year, so take that into consideration.

Good points Bart. I don't know what you drive or where you are calling Fernie, and telling this dude it is 1 and a half hours from Lethbridge! It is generally, well over 2 hours and that is dependant on the roads/traffic. If you stage in Corbin and call it Fernie, that could save 20-30 minutes again depending on where you stage.

A great idea to research and your point about exploring different places is good. Lots of different types of mountain riding from the big mountains in Valemount/McBride to the more mellow riding further south. All have their easy/difficult areas but some are more difficult/easier than others.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lmfao, drinking sicamous laid eh

Yup been just over 6 years from alberia, and I. D never move back

Lived there all my life too, that says something

Revy and sicamous have consistant snow falls if there is any to fall, golden-crany-fernie always has less unless it's a freek storm

It's just the way the storms come through

The valleys alone around revy and sicamous make the difference the most, there narrow and close together and pretty much both have riding in 5-15 min or less if you want, to any of the list of places

Where as golden south and east, the valleys get open for a long long ways, which makes driving to said areas totally different

Jmill212

Reaction score

First of all thanks Modman and everybody else who’s commented, I really appreciate all the input and it’s been great to get feedback on all the different living options. My plan was to come out this winter and experience mountain riding and then make my decision, and I would definitely rent for the first little while just to make sure everything works before buying a place. I visited BC this past summer with a buddy and really fell in love with everything. Even here in Ontario the snow will vary greatly from year to year and some clubs won’t even open their trails for 2-3 seasons in a row. It’s expensive to live here in Ontario too but it would be about the same if not slightly more to be in BC so I figured why not move there and at least the beautiful Rocky Mountains as my backyard

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points Bart. I don't know what you drive or where you are calling Fernie, and telling this dude it is 1 and a half hours from Lethbridge! It is generally, well over 2 hours and that is dependant on the roads/traffic. If you stage in Corbin and call it Fernie, that could save 20-30 minutes again depending on where you stage.

A great idea to research and your point about exploring different places is good. Lots of different types of mountain riding from the big mountains in Valemount/McBride to the more mellow riding further south. All have their easy/difficult areas but some are more difficult/easier than others.

Sorry buddy, yes, I was a little off. I don't go that way unless there's a wind warning on 22, but you are right, 178 kms from Sparwood to downtown Lethbridge so probably closer to 2 hrs for sure from Fernie. We have an office down there and the boys are always trying to get me to move by saying its closer.... LOL I know I've done it in closer to 1.5, back when I was younger....hahaha

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you would like to check out the Crowsnest Pass area let me know I’d be happy to take you for a tour. Some years the snow can be a bit light but you don’t have to travel far to find more, the way it’s coming down right now it’s shaping up to be a good year. If you like a variety of riding I’ve always said anyone from 8 to 80 can ride here and get every kind of terrain you’d want. Work wise the big employer in this area is Teck operating 4 coal mines in the Elk Valley(Sparwood to Elkford) with a new one, not Teck, opening in CNP and possibly 4 more in the near future. Housing is a little on the high side but not as bad as Fernie, Pincher Creek is cheaper and only 20 min east. Short travel time to Waterton/Glacier National parks, Whitefish and Kalispell MT for summer and winter activities. Oh ya cheaper insurance too and no PST!

Cheers!!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rent, going roaming around till you find your happy spot, and all the rest will fall into place naturally!

Top Bottom