we're thinking of building a yamadoo ...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
slowly the Ratbaggers are up grading sleds and we have a few crapped out sleds.

a completely shagged out RX1 with a strong motor, and RT1000 with a blown motor, but other wise a good sled.

time and tools are wot we have, and neither of these sleds are worth fark all. so why not eh?

I'm looking for advise recommendations and any words of wisdom ...

please let me know where to find any other builds or other relivent info ... thx

at the mo both sleds are stripped down and motor is sitting loose in the RT and engine mounts are the first issue getting the motor to line up clutches, angle of block and over all seating position. I'm concerned the oil pump at bottom left of motor will require some of the chassis to be cut away. structural chassis! not happy bout that. next wil be the exhaust. buddy will bring home a pipe bender and we're not too concerned about exhaust being a prop. other than that there is plenty of room in there for everything.
our plan is to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. skidoo chassis. yamaha motor and brains and bits. and over all to spend as little as possible.

thoughts ???

I'll get some pic's up later ...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, its been done before. Carbondaddy in Revy had one, on boost though. Google Search CarbonDaddy and Yamadoo and you will find it.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
slowly the Ratbaggers are up grading sleds and we have a few crapped out sleds.

a completely shagged out RX1 with a strong motor, and RT1000 with a blown motor, but other wise a good sled.

time and tools are wot we have, and neither of these sleds are worth fark all. so why not eh?

I'm looking for advise recommendations and any words of wisdom ...

please let me know where to find any other builds or other relivent info ... thx

at the mo both sleds are stripped down and motor is sitting loose in the RT and engine mounts are the first issue getting the motor to line up clutches, angle of block and over all seating position. I'm concerned the oil pump at bottom left of motor will require some of the chassis to be cut away. structural chassis! not happy bout that. next wil be the exhaust. buddy will bring home a pipe bender and we're not too concerned about exhaust being a prop. other than that there is plenty of room in there for everything.
our plan is to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. skidoo chassis. yamaha motor and brains and bits. and over all to spend as little as possible.

thoughts ???

I'll get some pic's up later ...

Sounds like an awesome project. Turbo?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to say ... If she worky real good ... she gets the turbo ...

I coulda rebuilt the rt motor and hopefully got some change from $2g but ...

I'm all for the stupid option !!!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds cool, also sounds like a money pit. If you can keep it cheap right on,, but if it starts nickel and dimeing you to death I'd say don't bother. My friend built one a few years ago and yea.......

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I coulda rebuilt the rt motor and hopefully got some change from $2g but ...

I'm all for the stupid option !!!
You woulda been hard pressed to do a good rebuild on an RT for under $2k. I was $2k on the nose and the only extras were IMO must haves for the RT motor.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....our plan is to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. skidoo chassis. yamaha motor and brains and bits. and over all to spend as little as possible.

If you go turbo it ain't going to be cheap OR easy. LOL Adding boost is something you may want (or need) to decide now, since how you fab the exhaust will have to be altered based on the turbo location etc etc. You will also need to fab a new intake, charge tubes, etc etc. If you go boost later, you will likely be doing everything twice, as more stuff goes under the hood, you will probably have to re-locate a bunch of the other stuff as well to keep it away from heat etc. Would be much easier to go boost from the start if that's what you are thinking .

CarbonDaddy's used a modified front mount set up, I'm guessing that had a bunch of custom stuff fabbed for it, not a cheap or fast solution to the issues. Not trying to be a debby downer, just pointing out that installing a turbo is hard enough on a stock sled, installing a custom turbo set up is even harder. If you got the time and resources, give'r.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. You need to figure out if your going Turbo before you start anything since everything will be custom fabricated why do it twice. I guarantee you won't be satisfied with a stock Yamaha engine in a rt1000 chassis that's like the 2 worst snowmobile inventions ever combined into one. It sounds like a good idea while shooting the **** with your buddies but I can't see it coming in any less than 10,000$ by the time it's said done and running perfectly. This is one of those things where nothing is off the shelf and everything is custom. Good luck! Cool project if you have the time and energy.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What maxwell and what modman said. I have a rt chassis and a turbo nytro engine laying around , for the last year. Still haven't got around to it. A lot of time needs to get put in. Is it going to handle any better than a nytro or a 1100 cat I'm not sure. Probably be like a 1200 doo. Then your probably better off just buying a used one of them. I do have a soft spot for the RT 1000 though. There's a few build threads on snowest, post lots of pictures when you start.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a company in red deer who did one as well.

i would look up sno west, there seems to be quit a few builds rolling around, nothing new. A fair bit of custom I would say and just go turbo off the bat. No sense doings it twice, and nothing less than 15lbs boost :)

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. You need to figure out if your going Turbo before you start anything since everything will be custom fabricated why do it twice. I guarantee you won't be satisfied with a stock Yamaha engine in a rt1000 chassis that's like the 2 worst snowmobile inventions ever combined into one. It sounds like a good idea while shooting the **** with your buddies but I can't see it coming in any less than 10,000$ by the time it's said done and running perfectly. This is one of those things where nothing is off the shelf and everything is custom. Good luck! Cool project if you have the time and energy.

side note:

I had a stock 03 rx1, motor had balls to the wall, my only complaint was the fact that it weighed more than an oil tanker

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure at low elevation they are fun torque monsters. But at 8000ft your the same HP as a 800 2 stroke with an extra 100 lbs

Highest I took mine was 1,400 meters approx, it climbed everything I wanted it to, no big chutes or nothing, but had plenty of power for what I was doing on Mount Washington, but a turbo would have been useful lol

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of these sleds is never coming back to life ... the other has a choise of motors !!!

IMG_2757_zpsd2979cea.jpg

do I cut here to make the oil pump fit ...

there may be no coming back ???

or do I drop $2g and rebuild the RT motor ???

IMG_2755_zps13e1efd6.jpg

all you losers that knock both the RT1000 and the RX1 clearly don't know how to ride ...

not everyone has a loose $17g

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cut it and fish plate a piece of 1/4" aluminum to add strength again, you use 2 bolt to the left and add some more bolt on either side of the cut....no fear man...hack away lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of these sleds is never coming back to life ... the other has a choise of motors !!!

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a592/shadamzeni/IMG_2757_zpsd2979cea.jpg

do I cut here to make the oil pump fit ...

there may be no coming back ???

or do I drop $2g and rebuild the RT motor ???

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a592/shadamzeni/IMG_2755_zps13e1efd6.jpg

all you losers that knock both the RT1000 and the RX1 clearly don't know how to ride ...

not everyone has a loose $17g

I think if you don't expect too much from 2 sleds that are mated into 1, I see no issues, just so long as you don't think it will be the fastest, highest climbing, nimblest sled on the hill. People aren't knocking it, just trying to save you time and $$$.

If you cut that substructure, can you gusset around it to give it some strength at that location? The motor is heavy and the chassis needs some support at that bend. Might need a thicker sub-support at that location.

Top Bottom