we're not HST exempt

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shipped out some parts to ontario via post office. guess what you have to pay hst from alberta to a hst province, ontario and bc because of finally destination. they always have there hand in your back pocket.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's just awesome. I may need to set up a PO box in the crowsnest pass for when I want to order stuff from over there. I've seen Calgary outfits advertising in the local paper now. Nice to see the HST help out our economy. :rolleyes:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple! I'll drive to Alberta for my parts! Good thing there's great sledding here or I'd have to move! :mad:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Don't want to say what I've bought since July 1st in Alberta.....but I did notice that I can buy gas for $0.22 a litre less in Ft MacLeod than I can in the eastern Kootenays. Yes, $0.22 a litre less.......Costco, Wally Mart, Home Depot, Crappy Tire, even the booze is cheaper!

Lethbridge (the best little Ski-doo shop on the prairies) is 2 hours, the Pass is 40 minutes and lesser known Pincher Creek with great deals is only an hour and change.

377 belts at Mr. R's are $149.00 with only GST! Sweet deal!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing shipping Greyhound or UPS would get around that. Post Office is federal, and so is HST. :confused:

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in BC before you were paying 5% GST and 5 or 7% PST. Not sure what the PST rate is. But now you are paying 12% HST. Doesn't this work out to be the same if you were paying 5% GST and 7% PST. I just spent 10 days in the Sparwood/ Fernie area camping, quadding. The prices were some what higher but the population in the area creates that. Yes fuel was stupidly expensive. So the next question is, Is it worth driving 2 hours to Lethbridge do do your shopping, add in fuel, meals, wear and tear, end up staying overnight. It probably is because like the rest of us you want to get out of the house and a road trip is always good. :d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So in BC before you were paying 5% GST and 5 or 7% PST. Not sure what the PST rate is. But now you are paying 12% HST. Doesn't this work out to be the same if you were paying 5% GST and 7% PST. I just spent 10 days in the Sparwood/ Fernie area camping, quadding. The prices were some what higher but the population in the area creates that. Yes fuel was stupidly expensive. So the next question is, Is it worth driving 2 hours to Lethbridge do do your shopping, add in fuel, meals, wear and tear, end up staying overnight. It probably is because like the rest of us you want to get out of the house and a road trip is always good. :d

The figures are correct; 5% GST and 7% PST transferring into 12%HST! The big difference is the new items they added the 7% to; like restaurant meals, kids clothes, lots of groceries, to name few. Gasoline wasn't affected as the carbon tax is taking over that aspect. I'll bet you paid 7% on camping fees which is new!

I'm not saying it is cheaper to go to Lethbridge, all things taken into account, but selection is better and many things are cheaper and if I have to drive somewhere for Home Depot, Costco, WalMart, SuperStore, Leon's, The Brick, Princess Auto, you get the picture, it might just as well be somewhere where the taxes aren't as high! I drive the same distance to Fernie as I would to the Pass; can't buy nuts and bolts in town, no lumber, no plumbing, no electrical, no clothing, and gas in the Pass is $0.969 instead of $109.9 (last I checked).

And yes, a drive to see what the other folks are dooing is always a good thing!

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry not to burn a bridge here. I didn't realize that the taxes no went onto some of the things you said. And yes it kinda sucks when there is no Wal-mart, home depot, costco. But on the other hand you have beautiful views of the mountains, clear rivers and streams and even trees. Out in Medicine Hat we have got flat land that goes on for miles (I can still see that hitchhiker) our river is dirty and the trees well they are few and far between compared to what you have. If I could get my way and not the wifes I would move back to Sparwood tomorrow. (Lived there from 1974-1992). :d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry not to burn a bridge here. I didn't realize that the taxes no went onto some of the things you said. And yes it kinda sucks when there is no Wal-mart, home depot, costco. But on the other hand you have beautiful views of the mountains, clear rivers and streams and even trees. Out in Medicine Hat we have got flat land that goes on for miles (I can still see that hitchhiker) our river is dirty and the trees well they are few and far between compared to what you have. If I could get my way and not the wifes I would move back to Sparwood tomorrow. (Lived there from 1974-1992). :d

No bridges burned....the BC gov't website for the HST.

Rather interesting to note that music lessons are tax exempt but hockey, soccer, swimming, etc. have the HST! Governments move in strange and marvellous ways.

It is my understanding that new houses have the HST but previously occupied houses just have the GST and that is different than in the PDF.

Yea, I like the trees and mountains but the Hat is a nice place and a cheap place to live.

Top Bottom