welding aluminums blocks

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has any one done this? there is two penny size cracks in the crank case, and one smaller than a penny size hole in the top of crank case in the water jacket. I know they can weld cast aluminum, they just have to grind out the crack and fill it, but ive seen these "magic" brazing rods that you only need a oxy torch. I was thinking that it could be built up and ground smooth? alot cheaper than 700-800 bucks

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will wanna be very carefully when welding this.Worse thing is putting too much heat into it...I've never welded that stuff it would be interesting but i'd wanna practice on a scrap one that you don't care about,just to see how it goes..

Just found some info in my books on ho wto weld aluminum casting with sick.
Filling in a hole will be realy tough but this is what they recommend
-Preheat 500-800F anything over 1/4",careful not to overheat
-Use an electrode approx. with the same composition,The E-Al-43 produce a good weld.

Here is a setting to start at
1/8" metal use 1/8" rod 80 amps,single pass

For oxy fuel preheat 300-500F do not exceed 500F
setting 1/8" use Oxy 1-2psi -- acetylene 1-2psi tip .038-.055
Rods use 1100,4043,5356----I use the 5356 alot with tig
Make sure tip no more than 1" away from material and doesn't touch the puddle

You should try to find the same base material and add a small patch be alot easier,with alot less heat..Good luck

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has any one done this? there is two penny size cracks in the crank case, and one smaller than a penny size hole in the top of crank case in the water jacket. I know they can weld cast aluminum, they just have to grind out the crack and fill it, but ive seen these "magic" brazing rods that you only need a oxy torch. I was thinking that it could be built up and ground smooth? alot cheaper than 700-800 bucks

Yes, welded a buddies bottom case last season when his rod bearing went and the rod smashed the bottom case and cracked the area underneath the crank between the bearings in the rod groove. Welded up the crack and it was good to go. The sled is an 800 Doo.

Shouldn't be too hard to weld up and grind smooth. Just make sure that materials are prepped properly and pre-heated properly before beginning.

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy here in Lloyd who has taken two twins and cut them.....welded back together as a triple!!

lowmark

Reaction score
Had a piston skirt go around the counter balance cracked both halves, split it, welded/gobbed it up, filed it smooth, lots of crankcase glue, has run for two years no problems. Would recommend taking it to your local welding/machine shop tell them the crankcase only needs to hold a couple #s vacuum.good luck

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy here in Lloyd who has taken two twins and cut them.....welded back together as a triple!!

I think thats the guy im suppose to phone in lloyd, he apparently fixes blocks? But im sure the welding instructors at siast will be able to do it fine.

farmer4ever

Reaction score
What motor is that on Ryan your RMK? Let me know how ya make out. Never know when that type of info comes in handy.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no a friends 1000 summit, first ride. But i guess that motor is a time bomb, between bearings just blowing and piston skirts breaking. A guy had the same km and skirt broke off and he got a new motor, then the same thing happened about the same km. I guess you should put new pistons in every year or two years.

hanrock

Reaction score
yes the prep is very important make a good effort to stop the crack also if you weld over the end of the crack it may still keep on cracking maybe you could drill a small hole at the end of the crack make sure to get all of the crack or just grind it out if you can get at it my 2 cents

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup thats the guy in Lloyd.....his last name is vanance (not sure on spelling) but good guy .......he'll get ya fixed up:beer:

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just had the same thing done to mine... the skirt broke and cracked both halfs... now i am a welder and i will not even attemped fixing it just for the fact if you don't get the crack completely i will crack more....

Top Bottom