Watershed Protection/Water Security

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? "...policies around forestry and off-highway vehicle use, which have decimated watersheds."

WTF OHV use is being referred to?

Alberta to take action on water security | Edmonton Journal
The key to this article is the reference to yellowstone to yukon. You guys are in for a helluva battle, closures and restrictions are coming, how severe they are will be determined by the concerted effort put forward by user groups.
When we went through our 10 year battle we faced arguments from every form of non-motorized users you could think of ( and some you can't even imagine).
Sit back and wait for someone else to do something will only result in more power to the other side.
It's time for huge turnouts at public meetings, more memberships in provincial bodies and most of all try to educate as many other users as possible. Good Luck to whoever has to take this fight on.

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
What did the 10 year battle result in? I'm under the impression that water is going to become a huge issue?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did the 10 year battle result in? I'm under the impression that water is going to become a huge issue?
Water and riparian zones are huge issues. What this article refers to is compaction of the earth, therefore their target will be atv's not sleds and we all know how many videos and pics show up every year showing abuse ( formerly pristine grasslands, tundra, etc tore up ). We were able to keep areas open by agreeing to language such as "existing roads and trails", the greenies will be all for total closures. How often do you see a quad trail running through the trees and grass paralleling a road? I could go on for hours listing everything they came up with but I'm sure you get the idea.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The next time we hear about this issue will be the uproar after the signs go up. Castle is a prime example.

uproar isn't the answer, finding ways to work hand in hand with the other user groups is. But as we know, everyone gets their back up and all in knots and angry when a decision comes through, but for the most part they aren't willing to put in the man hours, or the dollars to help battle these decisions ahead of time and correctly.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The watershed issue is a tough one. Do I believe atvs are destroying it and yet they continue to clear cut tens of thousands of acres , totally changing water run off amounts ?
They can throw any excuse they want out at us to close it , only they know if it is factual or not ?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Science. We need the other side of the science. Personnel experience is nothing common sense is ignored. As long as they bhave the science they can sell it to the people. Science has never been wrong. LOL Many scientific studies out there. They get to pick the ones they use.
Scientific studies show grizzly bears wont cross trails. Manily motorized trails hiking trails and ski trails ok anything else no. If that's the case how do GBs end up in Calgary or pincher Creek for example. Lots of lineral disturbance between the mountains and Calgary. Guess some can cross highways but not a Motorized trail in the backcountry. Science.
WE NEED SCIENCE to prove our point or lessen their science. Let the science fight it out.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you .. We need it .
Do they listen objectively ?
Also we are paying for the scientific studies that are clearly against OHV...
Then again we pay to prove the above mentioned studies are incorrect ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spend a few hours a couple years ago trying to find an unbiased report on the effect of ATV use on waterways. Impossible!!! Anything I found was clearly written in favor of one side or the other with extreme bias.

wheelingfvr

Reaction score
The Alberta NDP have banned all Jeeps and other Highway Vehicles from off-roading in Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildlands Provincial Park. They ignored local authorities and They have also announced plans to limit the use of OHV's (Off Highway Vehicles) such as quads, dirt bikes, side by sides and snowmobiles in the Castle Parks with the end goal of completely phasing out their usage in the next 3-5 years.

This is an existential threat to our rural way of life. We must not take this lying down. We must unite as Albertans and show the NDP government that they have no right to infringe on our right to responsibly enjoy the great outdoors. If they can get away with this in one area of the province there's nothing stopping them from doing it elsewhere.

Fortunately, there is still time to have your say as the consultation process for this decision is still underway until March 20, 2017.
To voice your concerns email ABParks.PlanComments@gov.ab.ca and cc our environment minister Shannon Phillips at aep.minister@gov.ab.ca

You can also contact your local MLA and voice your disproval on this disastrous decision. To find out who you MLA is and how to contact him click here: https://www.assembly.ab.ca/lao/mla/mla_help.htm

Sign my petition against this here:

For more information on this whole scenario click here: https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan

Please share this video so that all Jeeper's , 4x4er's, snowmobiler's and dirt biker's across the province are aware of this situation and have a chance to stand up for their right to responsibly enjoy the great outdoors!

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When does the fighting ever end with these a$$holes??
And who is behind all of this? It's not a bunch of hikers and mountain bikers that get together so who is really trying to shut down the back country here is what I'd like to know. Shutting down our pil sands,shutting down all of our motorized recreation, who is the driving force behind this?? Obviously somebody's getting paid some pretty big dollars to do this.
Here we have all these ATV and snowmobile clubs, we have the Alberta off-road Association, and a bunch of other groups, yet these areas keep getting shut down, it makes no sense.
This whole business of trying to save the land is just getting absolutely ridiculous. If they want to go in there and make it a park so that there can be no logging and no mining I am 100% for that and I think originally that's what the OHV community thought was going to happen with this park, but of course that's not the situation at hand.

Don't the greenies have enough parks with Banff,
Jasper and all the other ones? How many parks do we need to accommodate hikers and mountain bikers and flower sniffers and grizzly bear watchers??

It seems like even the OHV community has been brainwashed into believing that if we make a rut or a mud hole that somehow this is going to be so damaging for the environment. Has a rut caused anybody to die yet? Will a mud hole make the whole earth cave in?? Sure we shouldn't be tearing up the beautiful mountains but where the ATVs are riding, are usually where trails have always been. So what if somebody goes off the trail 10 feet to go around a mudhole it's not the end of the world. If there's really that big of a concern then take our registration dollars (for once) and build a bridge over that area. And all this talk about ground compaction is absolutely absurd.... For thousands of years there have been packed game trails all over the country coast-to-coast you going to tell me they caused a whole bunch of erosion??

We have all these national parks and provincial Parks spending our tax dollars on building bridges and docks and this that and the other thing but where is that money to build bridges over our mudholes????

It's stupid how we are all made out to be a bunch of renegades that just want to kill the earth if that was the case I don't think many of us would drive to the top of the mountain to be wowed by the scenery.

it's time to fight these SOB's in a real big way this time and beat them back to wherever the hell they came from because pretty soon people are going to rebel and they won't be following signs you'll have people quading around Jasper/Banff national Park lol.
Seriously though something big needs to happen here this is a wake up call for sure. So who is our big voice in Alberta??

Do they have paid members to fight this stuff or what's the case here?

Last edited:

morerpmfred

Reaction score
Oil week magizine did an article on the opposing forces to shut down coal,oil,oilsands,pipilines a couple years ago. Using enviromental policies. $200 mil has been spent in Canada by groups such as the tides foundation and other to change things in Canada and specifically in Alberta.
This makes me angry that forces outside of Canada are dictating policy here.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil week magizine did an article on the opposing forces to shut down coal,oil,oilsands,pipilines a couple years ago. Using enviromental policies. $200 mil has been spent in Canada by groups such as the tides foundation and other to change things in Canada and specifically in Alberta.
This makes me angry that forces outside of Canada are dictating policy here.

It's complete B.S!! Proud to be Canadian???? Our country's leaders are just a bunch of puppets. There is something big going on here. What it is i'm not sure but obviously it has to do with some other country running Canada because our leaders sure the hell aren't. But like good little stipid Canadians we'll just sit here and bitch about it... Lol

So can anybody tell me who our main voice is in Alberta here?? I think we need to start taking poker rally money and
putting it towards fighting these ass hats.

Where is the old Alberta gov that used to build all sorts of things for it's people? Now the word of the day is "shut it down".

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Alberta NDP have banned all Jeeps and other Highway Vehicles from off-roading in Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildlands Provincial Park. They ignored local authorities and They have also announced plans to limit the use of OHV's (Off Highway Vehicles) such as quads, dirt bikes, side by sides and snowmobiles in the Castle Parks with the end goal of completely phasing out their usage in the next 3-5 years.

This is an existential threat to our rural way of life. We must not take this lying down. We must unite as Albertans and show the NDP government that they have no right to infringe on our right to responsibly enjoy the great outdoors. If they can get away with this in one area of the province there's nothing stopping them from doing it elsewhere.

Fortunately, there is still time to have your say as the consultation process for this decision is still underway until March 20, 2017.
To voice your concerns email ABParks.PlanComments@gov.ab.ca and cc our environment minister Shannon Phillips at aep.minister@gov.ab.ca

You can also contact your local MLA and voice your disproval on this disastrous decision. To find out who you MLA is and how to contact him click here: https://www.assembly.ab.ca/lao/mla/mla_help.htm

Sign my petition against this here:

For more information on this whole scenario click here: https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan

Please share this video so that all Jeeper's , 4x4er's, snowmobiler's and dirt biker's across the province are aware of this situation and have a chance to stand up for their right to responsibly enjoy the great outdoors!

i sgined it, and sent.

Government of Alberta

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
someone with a better computer background, should make one of these for snow and mud! :beer:

Top Bottom